Sign in with
Your question

The new ASUS "Wi-Fi Go" feature on their newer z77 boards...

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2012 10:42:00 AM

Hi folks,
First time builder here, still deciding on what motherboard to pair with a i5 2500k. I will need Wi-Fi for my new computer (no direct connection possible). I was therefore drawn to the new z77 mobos by ASUS because they already come with a Wireless-n wi-fi card (DLNA) on the mobo along with their "Wi-Fi Go" software which ASUS is trying to market to people who want to remotely control media from their smartphone, tablet, etc..

I don't quite understand the utility of the onboard Wi-Fi card paired with the ASUS Wi-Fi Go software...

The following questions concern whether or not to buy a separate streamer and what other relevant requirements I need in order to stream from computer (and from smartphone) to TV .

My questions:

1. Will WiFi Go allow me to stream movies to any TV with DLNA wireless compatibility?
1a. I will be buying a LED TV soon and so would like to stream movies to it from my computer (which I'll also be buying soon of course). Will this "WiFi Go" software (coupled with such a z77 ASUS mobo) function as a replacement for a streamer device?
1b. What are any other requirements for the TV besides having DLNA?

2. If yes, suppose I want to stream to my TV, will this also require a home router with DLNA capability? I'm so confused, because I know they sell special (expensive) DLNA routers, but I don't know if I need one for streaming purposes. So can the ASUS mobo's wifi stream to the TV via the home network with a regular router (Edimax BR-6204wg 802.11b/g)?

3. What does it mean when they say that the ASUS Wi-Fi Go system comes with (or maybe they said "function as...") a separate router?

Please help me clear up my confusion.

Somewhat related question:
I have a ViewSonic Pro 8200 projector which will be a few meters from this computer. Is it better to buy a separate wireless streaming device for it and stream from the ASUS Wifi Go or just buy 10 meters of HDMI cable? :-)

Thanks in advance kind souls.
May 8, 2012 2:23:54 PM

I read that forum post and watched those videos, but I guess I missed something, so I watched them again and understand more now.

I apparently need a wireless router which supports DLNA.

But now this leads me to ask: Does the ASUS mobo with the Wi-Fi Go save me lots of time and money or can I construct a streaming system in any mobo with an add-on PCI wireless-N adapter card (along with a DLNA router and TV)?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 26, 2012 2:22:07 PM

>>>
Quote:
I apparently need a wireless router which supports DLNA.

I don't think so -
Asus say that their motherboard with Wifi-Go can act as a wifi router in itself, so you don't need to buy another wifi router.
In other forums, I have seen it stated that if your tv which has a DLNA client in it and an ethernet port but no wifi connection , then you just need a wifi bridge -
e.g. TP-Link TL-WA 730RE or TP-Link TL-WA701ND ( £20 to £23 from OverClockers or from Amazon )
m
l
August 26, 2012 4:52:10 PM

But now this leads me to ask: Does the ASUS mobo with the Wi-Fi Go save me lots of time and money or can I construct a streaming system in any mobo with an add-on PCI wireless-N adapter card (along with a DLNA router and TV)?[/quotemsg]

I was wondering about that too. I'm debating between the p8z77-v or the lk version. The only big difference I see is the wifi go since I don't really care for power phases etc. is it cheaper to get a wifi card. Or is wifi go really awesome that it's worth getting it
m
l
August 26, 2012 5:02:39 PM

You should contact Asus to get the best answer...
m
l
!