Why does my second monitor need to be on ?

gosford

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hi There,
I am trying to setup a plasma tv as a second monitor , but am having issues. Now i want to use the plasma whenever i choose to , so i have the pc monitor connected by a DVI cable and the plasma is connected by a HDMI . Both are coming out of a Radeon 6770 Video card. What i dont understand is that when i set both of the screens up, is that when i switch of the pc and the tv, and restart the pc the desktop is gone ! I have it as the primary display and no matter if i pick extend or duplicate the desktop no icons appear until i switch on the tv. I cannot work it out. I then have to switch both on again to get it to work. I dont want to go through the setup every time or switch on the tv just to see my desktop. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gosford

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Just to clarify , seeing as how i have no replies.

I want to be able to switch 1(one) on , the pc , then if i get bored and want to watch a movie on the plasma , then switch on the tv and watch a movie from the pc. Why is that i have to bothscreens turned on for this to work ?? Why is this not possible , is this a 2 hard ? Everything is fine if both screens are on , but if i turn the tv off and pc off, then restart the pc , the pc desktop is missing the icons.

Thanks again

Wolfshadw

Titan
You shouldn't need to. You should be able to set the monitor as the primary display and leave it at that. This setting should be saved in Catalyst Control Center. As far as changing the displays, the easiest solution is to set up a hot-key toggle in Catalyst Control Center (under preferences - top right) to toggle primary displays. I use this set up all the time for my HTPC, connect to both my HDTV and projector.

-Wolf sends