AMD AM2 Recommendations

sramelyk

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I currently have a MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM motherboard with a AM2 socket. The CPU I have installed now is an AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.81GHZ

My question is simple.. I want to upgrade the CPU. What would be some good suggestions for my motherboard and the AM2 socket?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kyle

SteveH3671

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
You may find that a 2nd hand 6400+ is relatively pricey (for what it is), since it is the fastest AM2 processor and I don't think a lot were sold. Given the relatively minor difference in performance and the wider availability of them, you might also consider the 6000+, either in Windsor or Brisbane form.

Any of the faster dual core Windsors or Brisbanes will be much faster than your Sempron and will actually handle fairly recent games adequately (I ran Crysis quite happily on a 6000+).

SteveH3671

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
If you have the choice (and assuming they don't cost more) try to go for the 89w Windsor version: ADA6000IAA6CZ

These were binned from the production line and they run stable at a lower voltage than the more common 125w version. Basically they are better quality chips, so they also offer a little more overclocking potential if you want, or just use less power at stock.

Scary if you look at Tom's Hardware charts Athlon X2s perform almost identically to Athlon IIs and Phenom IIs at the same clock speed. Not much progress from AMD in 5 years......

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/x86-core-performance-comparison/SiSoftware-Sandra-2010-Pro,2754.html

As a long time AMD buyer, depressing reading! But it does mean the X2 is a perfectly decent low-end CPU even today. Stretching to a little over 50 dollars wouldn't be wasted.

I installed Windows 7 64-bit with my 6000+ and it ran really well.