Crossfiring my graphics

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Ok folks, i have an MSI A75-G55 motherboard, it is crossfire capable, and im thinking about getting 2 Radeon HD 6770 cards to put in, since theyre in my cheap budget. Now i was looking at the specs to confirm my board can handle crossfire, and i noticed something i dont understand, this is what i read
2 PCI Express gen2 x16 slots
- PCI_E1 supports up to PCIE x16 speed
- PCI_E2 supports up to PCIE x4 speed

Now what exactly im asking is what does the X16 and X4 speeds mean,one slower than another? and if so should i even put 2 cards in?

And another question would be, what kind of additional hardware am i looking at to even use crossfire?

My specs are Msi a75-G55 Mobo, Amd A8 3870K APU 3.0GHz, with hd radeon 6550D graphics built in and 4Gb of DDR3 Ram. Any help would be nice, just so i dont waste money on something if i cant even use it.

Solution
Without getting into all the details, yes the x4 slot is slower and will be a bottleneck on the second 6770 card. However, the difference might not be as bad as you might think it would. I usually recommend the best SINGLE gpu solution a person can afford over a crossfire/SLI setup because not all games support multiple card setups and also in crossfire/SLI you sometimes run the risk of Microstuttering. Here is an article on this. http://www.overclockers.com/micro-stutter-the-dark-secret-of-sli-and-crossfire/

Another concern is whether or not your psu will be able to handle 2 cards in crossfire. Which model PSU do you have and what is your budget?

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Without getting into all the details, yes the x4 slot is slower and will be a bottleneck on the second 6770 card. However, the difference might not be as bad as you might think it would. I usually recommend the best SINGLE gpu solution a person can afford over a crossfire/SLI setup because not all games support multiple card setups and also in crossfire/SLI you sometimes run the risk of Microstuttering. Here is an article on this. http://www.overclockers.com/micro-stutter-the-dark-secret-of-sli-and-crossfire/

Another concern is whether or not your psu will be able to handle 2 cards in crossfire. Which model PSU do you have and what is your budget?

Solution

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I did find a much better deal on an HD 6870, which its rank is a 15 over the 6770s 52. the PSu i have is a Blue Diamond i think 650W PSu. I did look at the article and it does make sense, i figured id go with one awesomely great single card, and not run the risk of bottlenecks and incapatability.