Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 TI or Radeon 6950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2012 7:32:58 PM

Hey I have a computer running with a GTX 260 atm that i got for free, and im woundering if i should just switch to a radeon 6950 or keep with GTX 560 and use 260 as a booster card like my friend who gave it to me had it. I am at no point good with gpus so dont really know a lot about this, the 260 is an evga, if i booster card does the 560TI need to be evga also?

Computer statistics:
AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 925 processor 2.80ghz
corsair XMS3 DDR3 16gb RAM
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
MSI 870A-G46/870S-G46 -idk what one just listing what book says, modle no is MS-7599 that leads me to 870A-G54 so im confused-

More about : gtx 560 radeon 6950

a c 624 U Graphics card
March 4, 2012 7:41:28 PM

The GTX 560 Ti is a much better deal right now and considerably cheaper than the 6950. You could only keep the 260 for use as a dedicated PhysX card, but only if you go with the 560 Ti. If you play any PhysX games (Batman, Metro 2033, Mafia 2, Unreal Tournament 3, etc.) that would actually be a pretty good setup. The dedicated PhysX card will give you a boost of roughly 25%, but only in PhysX games.
m
l
March 4, 2012 7:51:53 PM

no idea what psu wattage is, i didnt build this computer and my friend and i just modded it it from there, and the 16gigs of ram was only 35$ hence why i have it. Its a 700watt i think. And the only game i really play is Battlefield 3 cept for tribes ascend beta. Im getting back into computer gaming though.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 8:02:28 PM

Double check your PSU wattage before you do anything. A good PSU from a quality brand (Corsair, Antec to name a couple) is very important.

I really like my MSI 560Ti. It was about $220, it's short. It's cold. It's quiet. And you can overclock the crap out of it.

By "booster" I think you mean running two cards at once. When you do that, you need 2 identical cards. Just trash the old one and get a new card, making sure your power supply is adequate and you're golden. Also make sure your case has enough cooling in it. One fan in the rear may cause you some overheating problems. http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes to see what PSU you will need, minimum.
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:08:57 PM

diablotek 750watt psu model number: PHD750
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:11:25 PM

what would you suggest?
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:16:27 PM

when i used that link cata it gave me TX650W, HX650W, VX550W. Idk anything about computers really i just get what im told to, im a car guy, and im really good with software..hardware not my thing at all.
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:49:45 PM

also is a gtx 550TI good? cause its 100$ cheaper and looks to be about the same..though im probably missing something really important cause 560ti is 100$ more..
m
l
March 4, 2012 9:38:38 PM

Quote:
:non: 

care to explain lol?
m
l
March 4, 2012 10:28:51 PM

Ok, so im going with 560TI, what powersupply should i get? and should i get a i5 processor?
m
l
March 4, 2012 10:35:29 PM

k ill just get 560TI and a new power supply i guess..no idea what power supply i need lol.
m
l
March 4, 2012 10:55:18 PM

Quote:
it will work...
(more than likely it will but I'd bet money on it..)

where are you located.?

mean where do i live? ATM blairsville PA going to Wyotech for school. I can tell you the 16gig specs if you want to see what is better. and why is where i live important lol?
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:04:07 PM

Quote:
thank-you...

i understand the basics lol..just needed to know what to order, Thank you everyone for your help, total price came out to 329$. Greatly appreciate the help :) .
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:26:26 PM

Quote:
if the first card the one you linked comes with the full EVGA warranty then go ahead with that one.
price doesn't make that much difference then.

first one i linked comes with lifetime warrenty according to newegg. if you go to details tab it says lifetime.
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:31:16 PM

Quote:
go for it then, I was looking at saving a few dollars but in this case, get the brand new and not the refurb..

Thank you for the help mal :) .
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:36:48 PM

Quote:
on to the power supply, you planning on one day SLi (dual) GTX 560 Ti's and have you looked at modular power supplies.?

down the line, after i get a job and my cars set up yeah maybe. But ill cross that bridge when i get to it lol.
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:52:23 PM

Quote:
I know that feeling.
but for a single GPU (GTX 560 Ti) you do not need such a costly power supply.

if you could find me a cheaper one that would be nice.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:13:24 AM

Quote:
no problem, having fun...

oh im sure you are sick of answering what are probably stupid questions to you lol..
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:19:51 AM

The card requires 12v at 30 amps, 500w mimimum. The Seagate does not meet that requirement, the Corsair barely does, and the Antec barely does and doesn't come with a power cord. Personally, I don't like to cut things so close on the most important component of a computer, especially for $6-14.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-156...
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:14:31 AM

Quote:
all three will work (requirements are blown up for GPU manufacturers safety) there are calculators for such estimates.
but only $6 then I'd get the best one, yes in that range.

k well thanks guys has been very helpful.
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:27:36 PM

Quote:
all three will work (requirements are blown up for GPU manufacturers safety) there are calculators for such estimates.
but only $6 then I'd get the best one, yes in that range.

How do i dedicate my gtx 260 for physx? im lost on how to do it O_o
m
l
March 9, 2012 4:57:05 PM

Quote:
nVidia control panel icon in task bar (next to clock).
right click - nVidia control panel
left hand side of interface
3D settings - Set Physx configuration
same screen right hand side of interface
Select PhysX processor - click on drop down
select GTX 260 for PhysX
save and exit out
done.

thank you kindly sir =].
m
l
March 9, 2012 6:09:41 PM

with that system you might benefit from getting the 7750 in a few weeks. It should be priced around those 2 and will use 30% less power and out perform both of them...
m
l
a c 624 U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 7:50:10 PM

jjack339 said:
with that system you might benefit from getting the 7750 in a few weeks. It should be priced around those 2 and will use 30% less power and out perform both of them...

???
The GTX 560 Ti has almost twice the performance of a 7750.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_iCooler/...
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:20:42 PM

So i got videocard/power supply today, and supply is shorted out or doesnt supply enough power to power my hdd..im slightly pissed. Gonna send it in for return and buy another at bestbuy. What wattage do i need? atm i got a cx500 corsair, im guessing i need atleast 550 but safe side would be 600..?
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:49:55 PM

Quote:
:heink: 
wait for a single GPU set-up you should have plenty of power..

but yes, your short on dual GPU set-up.
be safe and get a 650-watt..

nah dude, its short, wont even power my gtx260 so im guessing its broke? idc im getting a 600watt, also how do i hook up power to the 260? it doesnt have enough pci-e hookups for that..
m
l
March 15, 2012 9:19:46 AM

Quote:
best bet is to get a power supply with the 4 dedicated pci-e plugs already and not having to use a bunch of adapters.
I'm guessing the GTX 260 requires 2 6-pin plugs.
650-watt and not 600-watt, I'm telling you is what you need if not more (safety cushion).

I also recommend a modular power supply but I do not know your financial situation.
here's a few modular and non-modular:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you wanna try a 600-watt:

which one of these do you recomend the most? ill buy that one and have it shipped over-night, sick of this bs tbh =/. wasted 4 hours of my life. rather pissed.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:49:38 PM

"The card requires 12v at 30 amps, 500w mimimum. The Seagate does not meet that requirement, the Corsair barely does, and the Antec barely does and doesn't come with a power cord. Personally, I don't like to cut things so close on the most important component of a computer, especially for $6-14.

http://www.evga.com/products/morei [...] P3-1563-AR"

What PSU did you end up buying that wouldn't power your HDD? (never mind, I just noticed...you bought 150w less than you needed) I'm just curious. Did you take my advice and go to the PSU finder utility that will tell you exactly how much you'll need? If you do that, you won't waste so much time and money buying the wrong thing. And please do not buy that piece of crap that was linked without reading this first. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

1) Go to a PSU calculator and punch in your components. Write down the minimum wattage it recommends. This one for instance if you don't trust the Corsair calculator I gave you. http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx?SLanguage=en
2) Then, go to newegg, or amazon, or wherever, and go to the PSU section.
3) Do a search on Corsair or Antec or Seasonic.
4) Buy the lowest price one that contain the words bronze and 80 that have the minimum amount of wattage that you wrote down in step 1.

I promise if you follow those 4 steps, you won't have a PSU issue again.

In case you don't click any of the links I suggested, here is the closing paragraph from the hardwaresecrets.com article......
"Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs.
It can't deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit's labled capacity.....overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damanage components"
m
l
March 15, 2012 7:12:47 PM

Well except for the first one you talked him in to....that one didn't work out so well.
m
l
March 15, 2012 7:31:56 PM

I just link things that professionals have written or tested. Hardwaresecrets.com was the link, OP can take that for what its worth as a reliable source, or listen to random posters saying something will work because it worked for them. I don't need to have a personal experience with crack cocaine to know its bad.

I think its doing someone a disservice to just tell them "hey buddy, go buy this, trust me, it will work". I would rather give them the tools they need to form their own conclusions. So I have recommended several tools to do that with, and linked articles written by professionals in the industry. To tell him "nevermind that" is not helping him.

So, my opinion, don't buy a PSU that BARELY meets the requirements of a video card, let alone an entire computer (what happened with his first purchase that didn't work)....and my opinion is don't buy a PSU that got terrible ratings when a reputable professional publisher tested two of them and got terrible results and emphatically warns the read to not buy that particular product.

Good luck to both of you. Cheers.
m
l
March 15, 2012 11:37:05 PM

catatafish said:
I just link things that professionals have written or tested. Hardwaresecrets.com was the link, OP can take that for what its worth as a reliable source, or listen to random posters saying something will work because it worked for them. I don't need to have a personal experience with crack cocaine to know its bad.

I think its doing someone a disservice to just tell them "hey buddy, go buy this, trust me, it will work". I would rather give them the tools they need to form their own conclusions. So I have recommended several tools to do that with, and linked articles written by professionals in the industry. To tell him "nevermind that" is not helping him.

So, my opinion, don't buy a PSU that BARELY meets the requirements of a video card, let alone an entire computer (what happened with his first purchase that didn't work)....and my opinion is don't buy a PSU that got terrible ratings when a reputable professional publisher tested two of them and got terrible results and emphatically warns the read to not buy that particular product.

Good luck to both of you. Cheers.

i did use the link but i didnt want to end up paying 105+ dollars if i coulda helped it. Thats the cheapest one on there. at 550w sorry, that link is for those who have enough to cover stupidly overpriced things. I got turbos and *** to buy for my cars, computer is second. I already got a gaming computer, just want to make this one better since im at college with it. Not looking to drop another 8k on another computer, got better stuff to buy sorry.
m
l
March 17, 2012 3:36:48 AM

supers are over rated, i only got one on my camaro cause its my strip car, turbos are more efficient and are better at pulling, my evo has no turbo lagg to speak of but im also running stock with a bad ass tune. I blew up my Integra yesterday at school..spiked 40lbs somehow, shot a rod through the block..less then happy.
m
l
March 17, 2012 3:12:36 PM

Quote:
supers help out with torque on constant level and that's what I need with the H22 being light.
now if I had an F series motor or B series, then I'd turbo..

got pics of the Evo.?
Integra are one of my faves, you gonna build her back up.?

alright spent 1k on a new gsr motor, gotta buy a new metering valve for the turbo i think, that turbo isnt capable of spooling 40lbs so im really confused on how i spiked it and did that. Evo its a brand new 2013 black evo 10 nothing special lol..not modding it cept for a tune, 0 turbo lagg. I got stuff going on it after the warrenties are up that ill care to take pics of.
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:01:37 AM

Best answer selected by Demon34140.
m
l
!