davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Hi,I currently have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. This is a 4 port 10/100 router, with wirelss B. Also, it is connected to my DSL modem via WAN port. I would like to add gigabit, but need to keep the wireless. Would adding a 5 port gigabit switch work? I would guess I would have the DSL, my current 10/100 router, and then a crossover cable to the gigabit switch where the computers are connected via cat5e. Is this correct, or what is the best option?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
That sounds good to me.

Just to confirm, your wireless is in the same box as the router, correct? If so, then your options are a small gigabit switch, or a new wireless router with gigabit. I would think the switch option would be cheaper.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Yes, the wireless is in the same box as the router. I guess getting a switch is the best option. I would need a crossover cable from the switch to the router correct?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Maybe not - many (most? I haven't done a poll to find out :lol: ) switches and routers have auto-MDIX (they can sense a crossover is necessary and internally switch polarity). Check the specs for the switch you're getting and if it says auto MDIX, or it has a switch or dedicated 'uplink' port (I have seen several of each as well but all the newer devices have had auto-MDIX), then you don't need a crossover cable.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
newer switches have this, but even older switches had the button you could switch one port to an uplink.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>