Electric Shock/Leak on Casing

gatot

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Folks,

I just bought a new PC, built from components. Not really sure why, but its upper chassis always give electric shock. Not so big, but enough to startled me out ..

Improvement has been made, such as:
- Using isolation ring for every screw connects to chassis
- Putting barrier using isolator-tape (well-known for technician) around connecting part in PSU and chassis

None above has solved the problem.

Please advise for suggestions. Thanks...

Note: PSU: Enlight 500 W (pure). Chasis: PowerLogic Climatica 300M, too many fans that will sound like a helicopter :(

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Is your outlet properly grounded? Buy an electric tester OR use a surge protector with a ground-indicator light. If you're using a grounded adapter, and you are misusing it, that could be the issue.

Also, are you in a carpeted room? Do you drag your feet when you walk?

gatot

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I share the same power line used for my other PC and a DVD player. I don't think they've shocked me :) ever, but I will check .. a moment ...

OK, no problem with these two .. And I'm also barefoot, just as before.

My room is not carpeted .. I put the chassis on top of newspaper (temporarily during install), in purpose of isolation from the ground.

How to check faulty PSU? If it is leak, do you think it will also identifiable from output wattage?

Thank you again.

parentatak

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
If you have some knowlede on household wiring you can replace your existing plug with a GFI receptacle. This way if you are having a ground fault in your PSU it will trip right away.

Another way to check the PSU would be if you had a volt meter. If you touch the casing with one lead and a good ground with the other (such as the ground hole in a receptacle) ther should be no voltage read.

If you dont already have a volt meter/multimeter the GFI will probably be cheaper.

Hope it helps.

P.S This problem can be very serious and dangerous. So be careful!! More electricians die every year from 120v volt circuits than any other voltages. Turn off the breaker in the basement!!!!

gatot

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
thank you guys ..

will check both possibilities: my wiring and the psu. could get some hands, i think ...

btw. Party tricks? OMG, what a sane mind :D

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I just bought a new PC, built from components. Not really sure why, but its upper chassis always give electric shock. Not so big, but enough to startled me out ..
The word "always" makes me wonder if you are hoping to enter the Darwin Awards? Opportunities for reproduction are strictly limited following death by electricity.

Don't go near it. It's not worth it. Repeat: do not under any circumstances muck about with faulty equipment connected to the mains.

gatot

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
If you have some knowlede on household wiring you can replace your existing plug with a GFI receptacle. This way if you are having a ground fault in your PSU it will trip right away.

OK .. Thank you all guys .. After calling experienced eletricians and tedious check to each receptacle, only to found that the ground wiring is not connected to main ground wire, but only to a "paku" on the wall just above plafond. It looks like the contractor runs out wire stock during installation.

"paku" is indonesian word for sharp metal object, purposedly to join between two pieces of wood or as hanger for our pictures on the wall.. I'm too lazy to find english translation :p