Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Time Build // High End Gaming System

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2012 3:14:31 PM

Hi folks, its been a long time since I upgraded my computer, and I've saved up enough to aim for a real high end system.

I live in Singapore (and thus I won't include prices), but basically, I wanted a system that was a close match to Alienware's Aurora R4 high end system (but no overclocking).

As far as total price / budget, this will likely come to about $3,600 (Singapore dollars) which is about US 2,900. Basically, I want to come under $3K US.

* Intel Core i7 3770K (3.50) + Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
* Asus HD7970 3GB DDR5 DC II Top
* Kingston Hyper-X DDR3-1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB)
* Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD
* Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 32MB
* Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
* Coolermaster M2 850W Silent Pro
* Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
* Internal Card Reader
* LG BH12LS35 12x Blu-Ray Writer
* Dell U2412M Ultrasharp 24"
* Razer Black Widow Ultimate Keyboard
* Speakers (yet to be decided -- any suggestions?)

Is there something missing or should be changed in this configuration?

Many thanks everyone in advance for your thoughts.

Best solution

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2012 3:21:54 PM

Thats a pretty powerful system, but I do have a couple thoughts.

For gaming, there is absolutely no advantage of an i7 over an i5. The difference of the i7 is that it uses something called "HyperThreading", what this basically is, the CPU "pretends" to have more cores than it actually does, to split up some of the workload. Now both the i5 and i7 are quad cores but the i7 can "pretend" to have 4 more.

The thing with games is, no game on the market is capable of using this HyperThreading technology. In fact there are only a couple games on the market that use all 4 of the real cores on a CPU yet. Which means, if you wanted to save a little bit of money you could use an i5-3570K Ivy Bridge and get results just as good when playing games.

The 7970 is a very powerful video card. However, perhaps with the money you save by going with an i5 you could afford the new GTX 680?

Other than that, your system looks like it will be pretty awesome. 16GB is probably more than you need, 8 is plenty, but then again I'm not one to talk as you can see in my signature I have 16 too.
May 8, 2012 3:37:57 PM

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I keep reading that the GTX 680 > the 7970. I think I should look into swapping that out...

Thanks again... pls keep em coming!

It's really late over here in S'pore, but will be checking this thread in the morning and days to come...
m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2012 5:28:22 PM

You're welcome. You really can't go wrong either way with either video card. Both of them are monsters, but only one of them can hold the title as "Best" in a 2 man competition.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:35:29 AM

You're right. I just checked with my supplier and lo and behold, "out of stock"... must be a reason its in such high demand... well, to be expected with Diablo coming around the corner!
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:54:57 AM

Best answer selected by agoodfella.
m
l
!