Audio through HDMI to DVI?

broken26

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I have a Radeon HD 6770 Video card which has 2 HDMI ports and 2 DVI ports. My monitor has a VGA and DVI port and with NO speakers on them.

Currently Im using onboard audio to get audio to my headphones and I was wondering, could I use a HDMI to DVI cable to get audio to my Headphones? This HDMI video card sound stuff is new to me, and I don't really know how it works.

broken26

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
The integrated audio is a lower quality than what the HDMI audio will be on the video card, how would i connect from my video card audio to headphones other than integrated? When I'm in any voice calls on skype, even if I have my Mic on mute, and music I listen to will transmit to the other. Im hoping switching to this will fix the issue.

No its not. the GPU does not have a sound card on it. All it does is run whatever sound cards output your using over the HDMI. There's no difference between them. If you have integrated that's all there is unless you go buy a sound card.

If your blasting music over Skype your mic isn't muted or you have a setting wrong in skype

broken26

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Its not just in skype, If i record using the voice recorder and play music, it picks up the music even when muted. Just not from the mic. I have messed with the settings for months, and have yet to solve the issue. I would assume its my microphone for it is a turtle beach x11. But my friend has the same issue, and he is using a chacharias. Could it be do to gaming headsets> are they unreliable?

broken26

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Yes, I have done most of everything I can think of, Im just using speakers and microphone settings. I doubt its something as trivial as simple fixes. I have tried for months surfing the internet on many issues. But thankyou for the help so far.

honestly without access to the system I don't know. sounds like a software or driver issue routing things to the wrong place. Which is really weird for your friend to have it to. to confirm this you could unplug the speakers so their is no audible sound and see I its. still broadcasting across the mic channel.

I have a chacharias and never had a single issue. short.of the front panel wiring being wrong it shouldn't happen and muting the Mic line should stop that. or a piece of software is doing it

broken26

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Its a non driver issue, I assume. I have had this issue from windows xp to now windows 7. Do you want me to upload an audio example of the issue? Where should i upload it.

OK. that's very strange. you don't have a Mic in the monitor that's hooked up or something? I was gonna say OS reinstall but that's really to extreme, and you already have and the problem followed.... very strange. and for your friend to have it to.... do you have the same hardware? I am kinda at a loss... this is one of those "give me the computer and ill wander around till I find something" situations for me at this point. which of course isn't an option

broken26

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Its not connected to the monitor, Ive already stated im using integrated =) The hardware we have is different, different headphones and computers. If you want to hear a recording of the problem i will gladly show you, but where do I host it?

RWFrazerjr

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Im doing reseach for a couple new add-ons my company is producing a 3rd party add-ons for the new Gen gaming systems. You actually have a couple options. The best quality but most expensive (about $40+) is a converter box that allows you to do do exactly what you want. Plug in the HDMI, and it gives you dig audio. Run it gives you a DVI out to then connect to your monitor. Another option but you chance losing video quality and will revert to analog sound....For some odd reason I have seen numerous wires offering HDMI on one end with VGA/RGB w/or component all with analog audio. These are CONSIDERABLY LESS EXPENSIVE.

SOMEONE WITH BETTER EXPERTISE EXPLAIN TO ME.....SINCE HDMI and DVI use virtually the same video signal, why are you forced to downgrade video when doing this. I don't understand why they can't keep the same dig video even if you are forced to drop audio quality unless you want to spend twice the price. What makes less sense is that there the step taken of downgrading the video which I don't find necessary. IT MAKE no sense.

I've been in search for this for quite sometime myself. The only other thing I have seen offered is a wire with HDMI on one side and DVI on the other (or use a converter) but there is a piggyback wire with a headphone Jack on each end.

If your systems offer Toslink, (optic) that is you next best option. Even if only the output does. You can get boxes as low as $10 if you shop around that offer various outputs but can be a better option.