• New Build
  • RAM
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 5:23:07 PM

I got the motherboard hooked into my PC (Asrock Z77 Extreme 4) and when I get it to boot I get POST code "4F 96 29" and then it immediately shuts off - what is the issue here? Is it my RAM? Is it my boot drive or something else?

This is the RAM module I'm using: Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 1333MHz 1.6V

Is this the problem? Should I get different RAM?

More about : urgent motherboard install

a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 5:51:06 PM

you should read your motherboard manual
there are two pages of error codes and descriptions of what they mean
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 6:33:49 PM

alvine said:
you should read your motherboard manual
there are two pages of error codes and descriptions of what they mean

I did and I'm still confused about what to do. These are the error codes according to the manual:

"0x4F: DXE IPL is started"
"0x96: PCI Bus Assign Resources"
0X29: not listed in manual
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 9:24:01 PM

Update: It's most definitely *NOT* a RAM issue - I've tried all slots with 1.6V, 1.35V, and 1.5V and it still is giving me this repeated boot issue. I might wind up RMA'ing the board if I don't hear from Asrock by tomorrow.
m
l
May 8, 2012 9:26:24 PM

Sometimes, just testing the memory on different slots with different voltage isn't enough to rule out memory. Try running memtest86 and post back the results.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 10:07:55 PM

azeem40 said:
Sometimes, just testing the memory on different slots with different voltage isn't enough to rule out memory. Try running memtest86 and post back the results.

I can't even get to the POST screen so running memtest is out of the question.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 11:06:59 PM

Quote:
g-unit1111, maybe the Extreme4's are a bad line. I am having a lot of trouble with mine too.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/345382-31-build-power...
I think it may be my motherboard, but I'm not sure. I think I also may be RMA'ing mine. I was actually hesitant to buy ASRock as I had heard many bad things about ASRock motherboards and was advised to go with ASUS, but I really wanted the Extreme4. Was thinking of getting a replacement for my defective board, but after reading your thread, am reconsidering.

Yeah I'm starting to think the same thing - I'm waiting to hear back from Asrock tomorrow if they don't respond with anything useful I'm RMA'ing my board and replacing it with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to RMA a motherboard but it does suck.
m
l