Need urgent help with motherboard install

I got the motherboard hooked into my PC (Asrock Z77 Extreme 4) and when I get it to boot I get POST code "4F 96 29" and then it immediately shuts off - what is the issue here? Is it my RAM? Is it my boot drive or something else?

This is the RAM module I'm using: Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 1333MHz 1.6V

Is this the problem? Should I get different RAM?
6 answers Last reply
More about need urgent motherboard install
  1. you should read your motherboard manual
    there are two pages of error codes and descriptions of what they mean
  2. alvine said:
    you should read your motherboard manual
    there are two pages of error codes and descriptions of what they mean

I did and I'm still confused about what to do. These are the error codes according to the manual:

"0x4F: DXE IPL is started"
    "0x96: PCI Bus Assign Resources"
    0X29: not listed in manual
  3. Update: It's most definitely *NOT* a RAM issue - I've tried all slots with 1.6V, 1.35V, and 1.5V and it still is giving me this repeated boot issue. I might wind up RMA'ing the board if I don't hear from Asrock by tomorrow.
  4. Sometimes, just testing the memory on different slots with different voltage isn't enough to rule out memory. Try running memtest86 and post back the results.
  5. azeem40 said:
    Sometimes, just testing the memory on different slots with different voltage isn't enough to rule out memory. Try running memtest86 and post back the results.

I can't even get to the POST screen so running memtest is out of the question.
  6. Quote:
    g-unit1111, maybe the Extreme4's are a bad line. I am having a lot of trouble with mine too.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/345382-31-build-powers-fans-spin-boot-minor-smoking
    I think it may be my motherboard, but I'm not sure. I think I also may be RMA'ing mine. I was actually hesitant to buy ASRock as I had heard many bad things about ASRock motherboards and was advised to go with ASUS, but I really wanted the Extreme4. Was thinking of getting a replacement for my defective board, but after reading your thread, am reconsidering.

Yeah I'm starting to think the same thing - I'm waiting to hear back from Asrock tomorrow if they don't respond with anything useful I'm RMA'ing my board and replacing it with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to RMA a motherboard but it does suck.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build RAM Boot Motherboards Systems