So what are people playing? Old and new?

I don't have as much time to play Xbox as I'd like, so I don't own
many games and almost never rent. I also don't keep up with new
releases. But lately I've been working my way through Doom 3 mostly,
with some Halo 2 on Live and MLB 2K5 (single player so far) on the
side. I keep wanting to play Morrowind, but can't seem to find the
time. Since I paid for Live, I feel like I'm wasting money when I
devote too much time to single player.

What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
down?

"The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
>I don't have as much time to play Xbox as I'd like, so I don't own
> many games and almost never rent. I also don't keep up with new
> releases. But lately I've been working my way through Doom 3 mostly,
> with some Halo 2 on Live and MLB 2K5 (single player so far) on the
> side. I keep wanting to play Morrowind, but can't seem to find the
> time. Since I paid for Live, I feel like I'm wasting money when I
> devote too much time to single player.
>
> What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
> down?

GTA: VC for me. I'm having fun taking territory from other gangs. I like
returning to my crib to find money waiting. That's respect!

i was playing VC for a while, but i'm stuck on the Driver mission where
you have to race the wimpy guy to get him to drive for you. I just
can't beat the chump! any suggestions?

as for games i'm playing, i've been playing MVP 2005 almost exclusively
since it came out. went back into the old Mortal Kombat game for some
"kicks," and rediscovering Oddworld's Munch game again.

Also, went back into SSX 3 which i put down a while back and it's as
good as it gets. great game. I plan on going back into XIII to finish
what I started over a year ago, as well as going through Voodoo Vince
again.

good post, John! thx!

"The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
>I don't have as much time to play Xbox as I'd like, so I don't own
> many games and almost never rent. I also don't keep up with new
> releases. But lately I've been working my way through Doom 3 mostly,
> with some Halo 2 on Live and MLB 2K5 (single player so far) on the
> side. I keep wanting to play Morrowind, but can't seem to find the
> time. Since I paid for Live, I feel like I'm wasting money when I
> devote too much time to single player.
>
> What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
> down?

I spent all of Sunday working through Weapon Master mode of Soul Calibur 2
(still have a long way to go!). I put a little time into Splinter Cell 3,
but that game is annoying me. after the initial rush of a new Splinter Cell
wore off, I realized I'm just not interested. the sniper aiming time is too
short, I get lost a lot, not knowing which way to go, and the map is
absolutely worthless. I'm having to force myself to finish this one (I've
had it since launch), as opposed to staying up all night like I did with the
first one. pretty much the same story with Doom3. I put about an hour into
RalliSport2 over the past week, and that about sums it up. I'm thinking I
might play back through Jade Empire soon with a different character.

Fizzlestix wrote:

> good post, John! thx!

yeah nice to see normality

i've actually been playing the original blinx, i never gave it a chance
but now that i have im pretty hooked, it's a good way to spend a spare
hour, doesn't need me to get too involved

i'm not a fan of games that need me to sacrifice my life to them, cause
we're only here for a short time and there's far more to see than the tv
screen... oops i sound like nintendo... not that there's anything wrong
with that!

"The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message

>I don't have as much time to play Xbox as I'd like, so I don't own
> many games and almost never rent.

> What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
> down?

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. I finished the 1st one a while
ago and am loving the 2nd too. Dantooine and 1 other planet are done
(though I think I go back to one or both of these) and I'm on the third
planet now.

Dai Senryaku, turn-based military strategy game with access to 400 units
(air, land, and sea) from 8 countries. Good stuff if you like Risk and Axis
and Allies. On mission 19 out of 25 and went thru a free-play map with a
friend.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (robot shooter). I have around 25 out of
40-some levels done. Fun but repetitive with sooo many levels.

ChessMaster, going thru the academy with my wife so we can learn to play
together. This $20 game has tons of stuff: academy, problems, over 100
famous games (every move listed with some commentary), on-line play, 40-some
AI personalities to play against (i.e. this guy likes to play defensively,
etc.).

Of course Halo2 online. Other good online games are CounterStrike and
MechAssault.

Next on my list: Splinter Cell, Kingdom Under Fire, Mercenaries, Jade
Empire, maybe Beyond Good and Evil. I won't be getting the 360 any time
soon -- too many current-gen games to finish!

Recently (6 months or so) I finished up Crimson Skies (great game) and Demon
Stone (very good but I couldn't get one of the combos to work).

"The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
> I don't have as much time to play Xbox as I'd like, so I don't own
> many games and almost never rent. I also don't keep up with new
> releases. But lately I've been working my way through Doom 3 mostly,
> with some Halo 2 on Live and MLB 2K5 (single player so far) on the
> side. I keep wanting to play Morrowind, but can't seem to find the
> time. Since I paid for Live, I feel like I'm wasting money when I
> devote too much time to single player.
>
> What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
> down?

This is always a fun thread.

on Xbox im working my way through GTA:SA and Ninja Gaiden (top action game
this generation IMO) with a light scattering of Monkey Ball Deluxe and H2
online from time to time. On PS2 im on Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
which is pretty decent in a generic jap-rpg kinda way. On the cube im
working through Paper Mario which is actually quite fun, the only real
downside to the game is how unbelieavably easy it is.

lookin forward to picking up destroy all humans next

Wurm

The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote:
>What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
>down?

Psychonauts. I'm on my second go-around. Also, bits of Ninja
Gaiden, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, and hopefully I'll get in yet more JSRF
time.

--
"The 'hard work' is not getting the casualty report. The 'hard work' is
being the casualty."

The Other John wrote:

> What are others playing lately? Any old games you just can't put
> down?

Mr. Johnny-come-lately here just picked up Halo. I don't think I'll be
able to state clearly enough how much I absolutely DETEST driving the
Warthog. I would imagine it's just me, but the control scheme for
driving seems loose and ugly, and the physics seem pretty bad. Then
again, maybe I'm expecting what's effectively an engine, a tube-metal
frame, and a gun emplacement to act like a heavier passenger car, and
that's my problem.

When seated in front of my PC, I've been playing the first Oddworld
game (Abe's Oddysee) on emu, to try and get a feel for Oddworld before I
finally get around to picking up Stranger.

--
Scott Thomas, thomass@cs.rose-hulman.edu
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~thomass/

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Warthog takes some getting used to, I felt the same way at first. Now it
seems natural driving the hog, wait till you get to the last level with a
mad dash to the end. You better hope your skills are up to par by then.
Brad