Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Loud Fan

Last response: in Components
August 24, 2012 4:04:21 PM

Hello,
Ever since I cleaned out my computer with compressed air yesterday, my computer became super loud! I've put my hand at the back, and both fans are blowing more air than they were before (at least that's what if feels like). I'm not sure if one of my fans are failing or what to do. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do. I'm only fifteen and I have a brother who works in tech which my parents consider to be the local computer god. But he denies all claims solely because he's too lazy to install a new PSU or case fan, meaning that any hopes of a new fan in time before it fails are slim. :fou:  Anyway...

Thanks for the help!

PS: I'm talking about a desktop here, just to clarify. I'm also not sure if I have a CPU fan, which would be strange considering it's a gaming computer my bro built. :o  Please save me from using my laptop on my lap in the mean time and getting testicular cancer! :sweat: 

More about : loud fan

a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2012 4:30:54 PM

What kind of loud is it? Is the fan just blowing really fast, or is it brushing up against something?
August 24, 2012 4:49:10 PM

Chairman Ray said:
What kind of loud is it? Is the fan just blowing really fast, or is it brushing up against something?

The fan is blowing REALLY fast. The hard drive made a heavy working sound at first but when I put it to sleep and awoke it again it stopped, the fans did not.

It's like the type of sound that you get when you're doing something that decides to max out your computer, only instead I'm just at my desktop looking at the background.
Related resources
August 24, 2012 5:12:32 PM

Shameless bump.
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2012 5:38:24 PM

Do you have a discrete graphics card? If so, check the GPU temperature/usage/core clock.

We need to know which fan is having this issue.
August 24, 2012 5:57:10 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the case fan because it was making a less annoying, less weird "dust getting caught in fan noise" as well as my PSU fan doing that when I started to smell a strange smell, I went to clean out my computer. Nobody else smelled the smell though. I'd love to go check, but I can't turn my computer on in fear of damage, or open it at the moment. My brother is at work and he has the anti-static gloves.
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2012 6:21:09 PM

Try re-situating the fan plug. When a fan's power is plugged in, but the controller is disconnected, it might make it spin at max all the time.
August 24, 2012 6:38:45 PM

Chairman Ray said:
Try re-situating the fan plug. When a fan's power is plugged in, but the controller is disconnected, it might make it spin at max all the time.

Hopefully it's just that. Why would that of started in the first place though?

It didn't make this noise last night after we cleaned it. Only this morning.
August 24, 2012 8:54:42 PM

NewmanNR said:
Hopefully it's just that. Why would that of started in the first place though?

It didn't make this noise last night after we cleaned it. Only this morning.

I turned it on just now. It's quiet. I don't know why it was inane this morning. Any ideas? Will it continue to vary?
!