Sign in with
Your question

I7-3930k and the i7-3960X

Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2012 4:14:45 PM

why are these products priced so differently (i7-3930k and the i7-3960X)

and why is it that the more expensive one supports 32GB of memory, and the less expensive one supports 64GB - very confusing, and if they both only support 32GB's why is one advertising
64GB's ?

More about : 3930k 3960x

a c 188 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 4:37:46 PM

The biggest reason that the Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition cost so much more is that it is our top of the line processor. The Extreme Edition processors go all the way back to the Intel Pentium® 4 processors and they have always been priced right at about $1000. Our general pricing has price points at which our processors fit in based on where they fit in our performance hierarchy.

Both of the processors support 64GB of DDR 3 memory, but the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition is 100MHz faster and has 3MB of additional cache. http://ark.intel.com/compare/63697,63696 I know it isnt much but if you are commited on getting the best processor the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition is that processor.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:41:09 PM

Why are these products priced so differently (i7-3930k and the i7-3960X), and why is it that the more expensive one supports 32GB of memory, and the less expensive one supports 64GB - very confusing, and if they both only support 32GB's why is one being advertising as 64GB's ?

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2012 4:47:34 PM

Robert The Gr8 said:
why are these products priced so differently (i7-3930k and the i7-3960X)

and why is it that the more expensive one supports 32GB of memory, and the less expensive one supports 64GB - very confusing, and if they both only support 32GB's why is one advertising
64GB's ?

The 3960x is an 'EXTREME EDITION' processor which means it has a higher clock speeds, more L3 Cache, both can support 64gigs of ram-that usually depends on the motherboard
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2012 4:56:22 PM

Quote:
Why are these products priced so differently (i7-3930k and the i7-3960X), and why is it that the more expensive one supports 32GB of memory, and the less expensive one supports 64GB - very confusing, and if they both only support 32GB's why is one being advertising as 64GB's ?

I believe both can support 64GB, but more than 8GB is irrelevant for most people.

As for the price difference, the X costs so much more than the K, simply because it is Intel's top consumer product. It will only be bought by people who will pay a premium for the sake of having the best there is. In pure value for money terms, it is terrible.

Performance wise there are two advantages the X has over the K. A slightly higher clockspeed (and possibly slightly higher overclockability), and a larger cache. In practical terms, neither will make much difference if it is even noticeable at all. Certainly not enough to justify the price difference.

Actually neither chip is a particularly good choice for most people. They are both based on the older SB technology, compared with the newer IB technology of Intel's socket 1155 CPUs. They are far more expensive (the chips and the motherboards) and unless you really need 6 cores (and that rules out the majority of PC users) you will see no performance benefit at all.
m
l
a c 174 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 5:02:41 PM

Quote:

They both support 64GB of memory. In theory they support about a terabyte but 64GB is the maximum that is realistically supported by the DDR3 limits of 8GB per UDIMM rank and 2 UDIMM ranks per channel. Since the desktop processors have ECC support disabled (it is present, just disabled for marketing purposes) and RDIMMs without ECC are extremely rare this means that the processor supports at best 8*8GiB

The 3960x is more expensive because it's an Extreme Edition processor, the only one in the entire Sandybridge lineup. It has more cache and it's the only processor that has that kind of cache. It's also a little bit faster and binned from higher quality silicon which makes it a statistically better overclocker.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2012 6:44:40 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Intel's i7-3930k and the i7-3960X
    m
    l
    !