CPU running really hot suddenly?

xspectrum

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I built my computer a few months ago and it has been running perfectly fine until a few days ago. My CPU temperature is running really hot for seemingly no reason at all. Just playing Minecraft forces the temperature up to somewhere in the 70-80 Celsius range. It's idling at around 35 C. The idle temperature used to be around 30 C, but never (not even with multitasking multiple big programs) has it gotten anywhere above 50 C. I can't imagine what's making it do this, but I blue screened for the first time yesterday (not sure if because of hot CPU, or if the error is causing hot CPU).

Any tips on how to keep it cool or fix my problem?

P.S. I have 4 case fans, stock cooling on CPU, and GPU fan on high. Case = Rosewill Challenger.

xspectrum

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

I've done both those things. Still running really hot. Even tried pointing one of my chassis fans to blow air onto the CPU and no luck.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
If you updated something like a Bios or software they may have changed your fan settings. Do you have a fan speed monitor? What does it say as you play your game? If you can't see that. Start your whatever monitoring program and then run prime 95. See what it does.

xspectrum

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

Right now my CPU is at 80 C. It's odd, RealTemp (the program I'm using to monitor temps) says my clock speed is 4326 MHz... I thought that the 2500k was only supposed to go to 3700 MHz on TurboSpeed or whatever?

Wow. You may have overclocked the processor without knowledge, or BIOS is doing that behind your back. Might want to try resetting everything to default.

xspectrum

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

In the BIOS, or what?