Sign in with
Your question

CPU running really hot suddenly?

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2012 6:48:57 PM

I built my computer a few months ago and it has been running perfectly fine until a few days ago. My CPU temperature is running really hot for seemingly no reason at all. Just playing Minecraft forces the temperature up to somewhere in the 70-80 Celsius range. It's idling at around 35 C. The idle temperature used to be around 30 C, but never (not even with multitasking multiple big programs) has it gotten anywhere above 50 C. I can't imagine what's making it do this, but I blue screened for the first time yesterday (not sure if because of hot CPU, or if the error is causing hot CPU).

Any tips on how to keep it cool or fix my problem?

P.S. I have 4 case fans, stock cooling on CPU, and GPU fan on high. Case = Rosewill Challenger.
May 8, 2012 7:45:45 PM

What cpu are you running. Have you tried re- seating the heatsink?
m
l
May 8, 2012 8:22:27 PM

GI_JONES said:

It's an i5-2500K, no overclock. I'll try re-seating the heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 8:31:27 PM

Make sure the heatsink is clean and dust-free as well. A few months is all it takes for a lot of dust to build up.
m
l
a c 85 à CPUs
May 8, 2012 8:33:22 PM

when you reseat the cpu get a good thermal paste to replace the one you got on it now
m
l
May 8, 2012 8:40:36 PM

and make sure that HSF is working
m
l
May 8, 2012 11:13:11 PM

GI_JONES said:

eddieroolz said:
Make sure the heatsink is clean and dust-free as well. A few months is all it takes for a lot of dust to build up.

I've done both those things. Still running really hot. Even tried pointing one of my chassis fans to blow air onto the CPU and no luck.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 11:24:57 PM

You might have a heatsink contact issue then. If $25 is no big deal to you, go out and buy a 212+ or Freezer and try that. Stock cooler is laughable at best.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:43:39 AM

If you updated something like a Bios or software they may have changed your fan settings. Do you have a fan speed monitor? What does it say as you play your game? If you can't see that. Start your whatever monitoring program and then run prime 95. See what it does.
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:56:46 AM

voodooking said:
If you updated something like a Bios or software they may have changed your fan settings. Do you have a fan speed monitor? What does it say as you play your game? If you can't see that. Start your whatever monitoring program and then run prime 95. See what it does.

Right now my CPU is at 80 C. It's odd, RealTemp (the program I'm using to monitor temps) says my clock speed is 4326 MHz... I thought that the 2500k was only supposed to go to 3700 MHz on TurboSpeed or whatever?
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:47:28 PM

sounds like an OC to me
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2012 1:13:08 PM

xspectrum said:
Right now my CPU is at 80 C. It's odd, RealTemp (the program I'm using to monitor temps) says my clock speed is 4326 MHz... I thought that the 2500k was only supposed to go to 3700 MHz on TurboSpeed or whatever?

Wow. You may have overclocked the processor without knowledge, or BIOS is doing that behind your back. Might want to try resetting everything to default.
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:45:09 PM

eddieroolz said:
Wow. You may have overclocked the processor without knowledge, or BIOS is doing that behind your back. Might want to try resetting everything to default.

In the BIOS, or what?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2012 2:14:11 PM

In the BIOS. One of the F keys (I think it might be F11 or F12) lets you load a config if you have one saved. If not, there should be somewhere that states "reset to default" or something along that line.
m
l
!