Best PSU for this build

JahidHossain

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hello experts. This is my second post here.
I just bought a new PC for my assistant with a config. of:
ASUS P8-H61-MLX
Pentium Duel Core G620- 2.6 GHz
4 GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
MSI GT 610 (1 GB DDR3) Graphics
500 GB x 2(TWO) Samsung SATA 3GB/s HDD
ASUS DVD RW

Now my query is what power supply will be best for this build. I am planning to buy Gigabyte PoweRock 300W. Will this be enough??? Or I need 300W+ PSU? Please let me know your thoughts..

Thanks in advance.

Plenty, doesn't leave much in the way of upgrade room though

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Not much. You'd better take 500/550W PSU. I highly recommend getting this or this (much better option, but only if you can afford it).
And I suggest that you stay away from Gigabyte's PSUs, they make total crap in that segment.

InvalidError

Titan

Some people around here recommend secondary PSU to power a handful of fans so I stopped asking.

Many geeks just like recommending ridiculously oversized PSU by default even though a fully-loaded single-GPU single-CPU system rarely exceeds 300W, just need a real PSU rated for actual sustainable continuous power.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You said it yourself, previously: so that he won't have to change the PSU when the time comes for him to make upgrades, in the future.
I've recommended the "buy once & use without any problems for 5+ years while sustaining ability of future quality upgrades" PSU to him, while 300W~400W would become pretty much useless even after he makes just a little upgrade to the current build (not even to mention the entire or almost-entire upgrade).

OP, you (of course) can do whatever you want, it's for you to decide in the end, but remember this:
Most of the people that recommend such things, just simply cannot afford a really good High Tier/Top Tier model, or don't think about their PC's future at all.
If that's your case, then, of course, you can get 300~400W PSU, no problem.
But if you have money to spend, you should really take what I've suggested, you won't be disappointed even one bit.
PSU is one of those cases (along with CPU Coolers and Motherboards) where buying something just because it's cheaper, would be a major mistake.

With the 400 watt psu reccomended by Finneous, he could add a HD and some fans and any video card that requires a single 6 pin connector and not have any power worries
With a good quality 450w unit he could add a $400 GTX670 and an I7, really don't see that happening considering the $340 ( no case/ psu ) H61 system he's starting off with
Extreme overkill in the name of " future proofing " is even more silly when starting off with a low budget system

InvalidError

Titan

It would make (some) sense if the PSU was intended for future transplantation in a higher-end system or rebuild.

For the system as-is presuming the OP has the system he has because this is either all he can afford in the foreseeable future or all he needs, I agree, completely overkill.

"Just bought a new PC for my assistant" sounds like it falls in the "all that is needed and unlikely to ever get a major upgrade" category: computer used for lightweight business use.

Agreed

Exactly my thoughts when I see specs like the OP gave

Just for kicks I put my GTS450 in a somewhat similar system ( no quips about the dust, it mostly sits on a shelf ;) )

SDC10711.jpg

P8H61 M
I5-2310
2x4Gb
250Gb WD RE4
Asus DVD/RW
SS300-ET
265w from the wall running Prime and Furmark
172w running the Heaven demo

JahidHossain

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hey friends please stop this debate among ourselves.
Everyone of you have some point of what you have said. So all of you are right to some extent.
Let me tell you one thing(I missed this in my original post)....
I HAVE NO PLAN OF UPGRADING THIS PC IN THE FUTURE.

Thanks...

InvalidError

Titan

To be fair though, the way PCs and PC components are marketed, branded and sold, only the most aware of consumers have any idea of how much power their PC will end up using and how much of a difference a good/poor PSU can make. More is usually better than not enough, which makes it much easier to over-inflate recommendations than custom-fit them.

Again I agree with what you're saying, but if someone is in the power supply section of the forum making reccomendations they should have a clue

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

this seems even more brilliant =o 80 PLUS GOLD and the same amps on the 12V rail. On top of that Seasonic is arguably the best name when it comes to PSU's.