Sign in with
Your question

Browser back arrow doesn't go back to same forum list

Last response: in Forum Feedback
June 8, 2012 8:53:50 PM

Hi all, I really enjoy these forums but have one suggestion to make it better.

I used to be a programmer (back in mainframe and Pascal days) and never did too much web design. I wouldn't know how to implement it but I would like to see this work. When I go to a post on forum or news pages 2,3, or 4 on the Tom's home page and then go "back" it always defaults to page 1, not the one I was on. I would like to go back to the page I was on before I went to view the post.

I browsed through the forum feedback (not all of it and wasn't sure how to do a search) but couldn't find this issue so I'd like to bring it up. It may not be possible but some of you guru's might invent a way! I challenge you to be creative.

Thanks!
June 9, 2012 12:44:44 PM

Hello dbc13;

I tried to re-create the symptom you describe.
Paged through the News archive and the Laptops and Notebooks forum and couldn't recreate what you describe.
For example in Laptops I paged forward through pages 2, 3 and 7 and my Firefox (ver 13) back button walked me back through pages 3, 2 and the first page.
News worked the same way - back button took me back the way I'd come.
June 9, 2012 12:51:55 PM

Just tested Chrome ver 19. Same as my Firefox. Bouncing around randomly in the News archives and moving back through the pages I transited using the browser back button.
Related resources
June 10, 2012 1:08:05 AM

Got some result as WR2.
June 10, 2012 1:57:49 PM

Humm? I tried IE9 and it did the same thing that I described in my first post.

1. Goto Tom's home page.
2. scroll down to Latest News
3. Click on button 2 for second news page
4. click on any news item and view it
5. hit the browser back button
6. I'm back at home page, Latest News button 1, not 2

If you can't duplicate this I'm stumped. I've tried it on my laptop and another desktop I own and they all do the same... same thing happens on Forum Live Feed buttons.
July 18, 2012 8:38:31 PM

Hi :) 

I use Firefox and get exactly the same as the OP.....

As an example, if I go to page 2 or 3 or 4 of the Live Feed then the mouse back button takes me back to home page ...NOT back to say page 3 if I was on 4....

All the best Brett :) 
July 19, 2012 1:48:48 AM

That home page news feed and forum feed are very different from what WR2 attempted to test. The news and forum live feed are both javascript generated hence the loading wheel when you click the page 2 button and not an entire page refresh, this means that when you follow a link and come back the javascript re-initializes back to its original settings just like when you first visit the page because there isn't a way to tell it where you were, it is basically looking through a javascript slide show but the images happen to be lists of links and when ever you reload the page the javascript restarts from the beginning.
July 19, 2012 7:46:22 AM

f you right click the Back button in Firefox, you can scroll to whichever last past page you used, if that's any help. I only discovered this a week ago so it may be new in Firefox 13.0.1 but then again, it may have been around for ages without me noticing. :D 

July 19, 2012 9:23:09 AM

hunter315 said:
That home page news feed and forum feed are very different from what WR2 attempted to test. The news and forum live feed are both javascript generated hence the loading wheel when you click the page 2 button and not an entire page refresh, this means that when you follow a link and come back the javascript re-initializes back to its original settings just like when you first visit the page because there isn't a way to tell it where you were, it is basically looking through a javascript slide show but the images happen to be lists of links and when ever you reload the page the javascript restarts from the beginning.

It is technically possible to have it return to the correct page, but it obviously doesn't do that at the moment.
December 25, 2012 12:17:31 PM

Hello, thanks for all your replies. As i understand it this is caused by the java programming and will probably not be fixed in the near future. Go ahead and close this, please....
December 25, 2012 12:59:47 PM

No please don't close it, it STILL needs fixing and it IS possible, I spoke to a friend of mine who designs big websites and he says it is relatively easy to do....

So hopefully whomever is designing the new Forum will read this...

December 25, 2012 1:29:39 PM

It would improve the site. Thanks for your support, Brett.....
December 25, 2012 1:55:21 PM

zdbc13 said:
It would improve the site. Thanks for your support, Brett.....

To be honest its bloody annoying, when you try and help as many people as I do, it takes a lot of extra time :( 

December 25, 2012 2:00:22 PM

Brett928S2 said:

To be honest its bloody annoying, when you try and help as many people as I do, it takes a lot of extra time :( 

True, very true....

Happy Holidays!
January 8, 2013 8:50:45 PM

zdbc13 said:
Humm? I tried IE9 and it did the same thing that I described in my first post.

1. Goto Tom's home page.
2. scroll down to Latest News
3. Click on button 2 for second news page
4. click on any news item and view it
5. hit the browser back button
6. I'm back at home page, Latest News button 1, not 2

If you can't duplicate this I'm stumped. I've tried it on my laptop and another desktop I own and they all do the same... same thing happens on Forum Live Feed buttons.

I've found that this happens regularly and consistantly on THG forums. Even the 'compose message' thing is screwed up for me. And, 50% of the time, any reply I'm trying to post to someone elses reply never gets transmitted. It loses the control to even FIND the 'submit message' link to send it.

As a matter of fact, during my writing of this reply, I've tried 4 times to "Preview" it before submitting it, but this forum never displays the preview. And, the one time it did, it had no button that said "Submit!" It was impossible to do such a simple thing. I spent the last 45 minutes trying to find this topic again and to reply to it again. SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG HERE.

Microsoft Windows (as lame as it is with Win 7 Pro, 64-bit) has protocols. Whether those protocols actually work or not, is a toss-up. In any event, I've encountered the exact same frustrating problem you described. This forum ALWAY reports back to THG's HOME PAGE, instead of the previous page I was looking at. Makes me angry.

It's totally unlike most other decently-designed forums. And, there's no support given that makes any sense whatsover. Try attaching a simple 1920 x 1080 jpg to a post.
Try finding the Editing Features, like "bold," and all the rest that are common on other forums. Those advanced editing features do not display on my IE ver. 9 system. Nobody yet has told me why or how to find the Advanced Editing options when composing a topic or a reply to a topic. They just aren't visible. That's now ancient history.

Even while I'm typing this reply, THG shows no dialog for "bold," "italic," etc., etc, etc. NOTHING! And, my system is fully up-to-date with all drivers, etc. It has to be THG.

THG has grown beyond its capacity to control it's own website. Other forums (not all), seem to manage. Yet this is THE technical support site, and the forums aren't up-to-par.

My opinion, based upon my experience over years, and numerous requests for help from the site administrators. None of their suggestions related to reality.
January 8, 2013 9:09:34 PM

I think we've pinned most of the trouble down to java programming. It seems the site maintainers are aware of the problem but it's not a high priority. I'm sure they enjoy reviewing new hardware and playing with benchmarks more than updating a site that mostly works. It's good enough for them and we don't have much say. So I'm not going to worry about it any more....
January 8, 2013 9:37:38 PM

zdbc13 said:
I think we've pinned most of the trouble down to java programming. It seems the site maintainers are aware of the problem but it's not a high priority. I'm sure they enjoy reviewing new hardware and playing with benchmarks more than updating a site that mostly works. It's good enough for them and we don't have much say. So I'm not going to worry about it any more....

Here's one more example of something that is infuriating to me.

I recieved notification in my e-mail box of an update to this topic (your reply). But, after clicking on the link in the e-mail, the darned thing directed me to the first post in the thread... not your post, which it was notifying me of! I had to hunt for it on page #2 at the bottom.

THIS IS NOT USER-FRIENDLY! I don't have this silly nonsense on other forums. If it was a link to your exact post, it should have presented to me your exact post!

Besides that, I'm still grinding my teeth over what some THG moderator named "Buwish" did to me. He CANCELLED A TOPIC while I was conversing with another forum user. He didn't do it because of profanity or anything like that. I think he just didn't agree personally with the views being expressed.

He can't even be contacted, since he blocked that, too. So much for "support" on THG. I'm just an old guy trying to keep up with what's going on and venturing my opinion when I deem it pertinent to the topic --- like everybody else seems to do.

I fully expect he will cancel my account because of this. I've been a member of THG probably before he even joined. Oh, well. What goes around......
January 8, 2013 10:11:54 PM

Take a deep breath, chill out, don't worry, be happy. I find it doesn't help much to get angry about this kind of stuff. Tom's is a great site overall and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. You won't be banned, take it easy.....
January 8, 2013 10:31:03 PM

Kreelor said:

I recieved notification in my e-mail box of an update to this topic (your reply). But, after clicking on the link in the e-mail, the darned thing directed me to the first post in the thread... not your post, which it was notifying me of! I had to hunt for it on page #2 at the bottom.

THIS IS NOT USER-FRIENDLY! I don't have this silly nonsense on other forums. If it was a link to your exact post, it should have presented to me your exact post!

Besides that, I'm still grinding my teeth over what some THG moderator named "Buwish" did to me. He CANCELLED A TOPIC while I was conversing with another forum user. He didn't do it because of profanity or anything like that. I think he just didn't agree personally with the views being expressed.

He can't even be contacted, since he blocked that, too. So much for "support" on THG. I'm just an old guy trying to keep up with what's going on and venturing my opinion when I deem it pertinent to the topic --- like everybody else seems to do.

I fully expect he will cancel my account because of this. I've been a member of THG probably before he even joined. Oh, well. What goes around......

Hi Kreelor :) 

Being ancient myself I understand your frustrations....

I gave up on using IE9 (and 8) on Toms a while ago...

Try Firefox.. that DOES take me direct to a poster from the email link, and also shows BOLD/ITALIC/UNDERLINE etc...

I am a little surprised to say the least that Toms doesn't PAY a professional company to maintain the site :( 

If they did, all they have to say is FIX this problem and it gets fixed or that company loses the site and the income from it...

This site is WAY past being run by amateurs (no matter how talented)

And if they don't get a Pro Website company to maintain/design it, they WILL be dead in the water , when a competitor overtakes them...

Which would be a huge shame...

January 9, 2013 1:26:43 AM

Kreelor said:

I have no problems with your complaints, but why are you hijacking this thread? Can't you start your own?
January 9, 2013 5:26:22 AM

It could be worth holding on to complaints for a few more weeks until the launch of the new unified site comes online. The Beta shows promise and it will give the developers more time to concentrate on the whole site rather than split their time between US, UK and various others. As Brett says, however, some inadequate browsers are responsible for a multitude of sins.
!