sockmonsta

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Well, im just wondering if this cpu is decent for gaming?? It has radeon hd 7640g and up to 2.8ghz. Im also wondering how does 2.8ghz amd compare to intel's ghz

popatim

Titan
Since you're refering to a mobile chip and assuming you are looking at laptops, the graphics in the a8 easily beat the graphics core in any intel cpu. Once you use a secondary GPU is where things change. Processor-wise current intels easily beats the a8 for any computational workloads.

Refering just to the a8 gpu, it will be able to play some games at low to medium settings. Alot depending on the resolution you will be gaming at and which game...
Keep in mind that the 7640g is not dx9 capable and will not play any dx9 games as far as I know.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7640G.69836.0.html

christophermcne

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011

You can find laptops with this processor and a secondary dedicated video card, such as a Radeon HD 7670M. For those machines (I believe Acer makes a model ~$500) you can run the dedicated card AND the A8 GPU in Crossfire, which will result in very acceptable performance for games such as Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3. Team Fortress 2 will practically run on my phone, so I wouldn't worry about that too much :p