iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
So I have been posting what was bothering me about my PC, and I was getting really bad performance when in open areas of a map while gaming. So I found out now that I need a new CPU. I have a AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz, but was thinking about upgrading to a new CPU. I have a AM3+ socket and am looking for the best gaming CPU from AMD that will run in a AM3+ socket. Any suggestions? I've been looking at some FX processors and also the AMD Phenom 965BE, but let me know what you all think would be the best for gaming.

Also, don't say Intel lol. I know that they offer better performance while gaming and I would love to switch, but do not have the money right now.

popatim

Titan
Since you don't have the money right now, why not take the cheapest route and just overclock the 1055T. It overclocks nicely. In the wintertime I can hit 3.8ghz on all 6 cores but in the summertime I drop to 3.4 or sometime back to stock, depending on how hot it is outside. My computer room is not cooled or heated.

The Thuban core is only slightly slower than the PhenomII core at the same clockspeed so performance would be nearly identical in gaming and you will have the luxury of 2 addition cores to run other processes and not take cpu cycles away from your game.

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I have a stock cooler and would love to overclock it but people say it is not good to do that. Do you recommend me getting a new one? And which one would be good enough? Btw its usually around 78F in my house yearly sooo how much do you think I should overclock it? Its idling at 115F

Another thing is that im on a default motherboard that came with the computer.

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Alot of the time your motherboard overvolts your cpu at stock settings, mine put my 1090t at 1.45V!! for 3.2GHz much more than needed. Now running at 3.8GHz with 1.36V. Cooler and faster. I would suggest overclocking, its free and the 965 will not be that much better. Just monitor your temps < 62C at full load and your alright

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

What if I just bought one of these?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1239961&CatId=7341

I don't think I can overclock anything because im on a default motherboard from Gateway and I have a stock cooler right now. Would this be worth upgrading? Because right now the performance im getting is pretty bad compared to the
$250 I spent on this new graphics card.

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Theres actually a forum on here that compares the two http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322007-28-6100-phenom-1055t and people lean towards the 1055t for gaming as Bulldozer is not great in that department. Have you been in your bios and seen what settings you have for overclocking? Overclocking is not that hard and free performance is always worth while. Even if you do need a after market cooler they are much cheaper than a cpu that might not even improve your gaming performance.

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Nope I don't know anything about the BIOS or even how to get there lol. I saw some people messing with their settings in there but I kinda don't wanna touch anything until I know what im doing. They were changing a bunch of settings sooo yeh...

Considering you're using a OEM motherboard, I'm concerned if your PC even has an AM3+ socket.

What model is your Gateway? Maybe we can find out your CPU upgrade compatibility :) Since you can't overclock, it may be better to upgrade to a higher clocked quad core.

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-DX4350-UR21P-Desktop-Black/dp/B004YD74HG

Thats a link to it. I bought it a year ago for around $450 lol. Guess it went up in price a bit.

I noticed this PC is using an integrated HD4250 (very modest, I use an 880G chipset board for my HTPC). Did you install a dedicated GPU into this computer? Also, what games are you seeing your lag issues with?

This may be remedied with a simple GPU upgrade instead of a CPU 'transplant' :lol: :)

If you're looking for the best AM3+ cpu, I'd highly advise waiting for Piledriver in like 2 months. No point in buying a bulldozer when its about to become obsolete(bulldozer wasn't the best cpu to begin with, but is moving in the right direction with 8 physical cores(albeit not full cores but its less like hyperthreads)

the cpu you should be looking out for is the FX-8320 or FX-8350(not to be confused with bulldozers FX-8120 and FX-8150)

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

So Piledriver isnt out yet? Also is it for AM3? I don't think my motherboard is AM3+ so I was just wanting to know for the future.

if your mobo is AM3, then there isnt much of an upgrade you can do(all bulldozer and piledrivers are AM3+ and piledriver will be the last AM3+ cpu, after that, AMD will be on a new platform for steamroller)

the best phenoms i would think would be

the Phenom II x6 1100T or x4 980

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

So I should just get a new cpu with a higher clock? Or a new mobo?
Maybe return my GPU for $250 and use $300 for a new CPU and Mobo?

Im not sure anymore...

Or I can wait it out until next may and get a i5 3570

What GPU are you currently using? Also what games are you lagging on? I didn't see you mention any of these in your previous posts (unless I'm blind).

It may be wiser to upgrade your motherboard and OC your CPU. That way you could upgrade your CPU to PileDriver when the time comes.

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I just got a Radeon 7850 MSI Twin Frozr and I lag on games that have open maps or anything CPU powered. Im only clocked at 2.8GHz so it should be the problem. Right now I have around 80$ to spend sooo yeh. Or I can wait a year until I graduate high school and get money lol. Then I would get like an i5 3570 or somthing.

by the time that happens, intel would come out with haswell line of cpus already if you purchased it a year later.

^ Agreed...1155 isn't going to be worth the wait if you're purchasing next year.

It may be wise to get a motherboard that will allow you to OC. However, that will cost you around $90 plus an extra $20 for a decent cooler, I don't think it's worth the money.

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

So what do you think I should do then? Im kinda stuck lol. I can either get a new CPU that is faster or I can get a Mobo and CPU Cooler.