Sign in with
Your question

Is it ok if some thermal paste oozed out from beside the CPU?

Last response: in Components
August 24, 2012 9:27:37 PM

I just applied thermal paste to my CPU and installed a new cooler. When tightening the tension bracket under the CPU Cooler, a little thermal paste oozed out like on the edge of the CPU.

I wiped it with some tissue and its mostly gone but if anything there's like small marks or so near the CPU edge that cant be reached. Is it safe to just leave it like that? There isn't alot, if any, I'm just making sure if everything is safe just incase there's a little left on the edges.

Thanks!!
a c 283 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 9:33:55 PM

It should be just fine.

I would be more worried about the fact that you possibly used too much paste, overall, since it oozed out like that. That can cause temp problems itself because too much paste acts as an insulator.

Just watch the temps to be sure that they're not warmer than what you expect.
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:36:56 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It should be just fine.

I would be more worried about the fact that you possibly used too much paste, overall, since it oozed out like that. That can cause temp problems itself because too much paste acts as an insulator.

Just watch the temps to be sure that they're not warmer than what you expect.

Thanks, and all i used was a pea sized dab in the center. It oozed cause the tension bracket was hard to put on therefore i wiggled it quite a bit and make the thermal ooze out only on one side though. not the other sides.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2012 9:41:13 PM

Then it's probably very unevenly distributed. I would reinstall.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 9:42:48 PM

^ I kind of agree with that, but I'd say do a temp check first.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:38:56 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
^ I kind of agree with that, but I'd say do a temp check first.

On idle

All Cores are at about 9C

TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2- All three at about 30C

GPU - 38C

Under Load my temps are

Cores - All Cores at about 20-25C

TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2 - All three at about 40-45C

GPU - Around 50-60C depending on what I play

These temps all seem good?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 25, 2012 12:50:57 AM

Aside from the fact that I'm guessing that's a newer AMD CPU that never seems to have the core temps reported correctly for them, and you need to add about 15-20C to the core temps you're getting, yes those temps look fine.

You'll never have temps lower than you room temp (9C is pretty much impossible on air cooling, unless you live in Antarctica, lol).

Your real CPU temp is probably TMPIN0 or 1.

For whatever reason, temp monitoring programs have issues with reporting the core temps on the newer AMD CPU's. Just add 15-20C to the core temps, like I said, and that's probably close to the real temp.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:51:50 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Aside from the fact that I'm guessing that's a newer AMD CPU that never seems to have the core temps reported correctly for them, and you need to add about 15-20C to the core temps you're getting, yes those temps look fine.

You'll never have temps lower than you room temp (9C is pretty much impossible on air cooling, unless you live in Antarctica, lol).

Your real CPU temp is probably TMPIN0 or 1.

For whatever reason, temp monitoring programs have issues with reporting the core temps on the newer AMD CPU's. Just add 15-20C to the core temps, like I said, and that's probably close to the real temp.

alright thanks, so there's no monitor that actually displays your "real" temp?

And also before changing the cpu cooler, my TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2 temps would hit like 60-70C under load and now it only goes to about 40-42C so thats a big decrease right there
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 25, 2012 12:57:01 AM

bingaloman said:
alright thanks, so there's no monitor that actually displays your "real" temp?

And also before changing the cpu cooler, my TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2 temps would hit like 60-70C under load and now it only goes to about 40-42C so thats a big decrease right there

Well, there aren't any programs that show the correct core temps for the newer AMD CPU's right now, that I know of, no. They just need to be updated to be able to.

And the TMPIN temps being lower seems to make my assumption correct that those are your actual CPU temps.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:03:35 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, there aren't any programs that show the correct core temps for the newer AMD CPU's right now, that I know of, no. They just need to be updated to be able to.

And the TMPIN temps being lower seems to make my assumption correct that those are your actual CPU temps.

Wait so the temps it shows for my TMPINs are correct without having to add on the 15-20C? Sorry lol confused
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 25, 2012 1:13:05 AM

bingaloman said:
Wait so the temps it shows for my TMPINs are correct without having to add on the 15-20C? Sorry lol confused

It seems that way, yeah, lol.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 6:56:44 PM

Its normal, one core will be hotter than the others, don't know why, probably has more load.
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:57:52 PM

May I jump in and ask if anyone knows why one of my Intel i5 2500K core temps is usually 4 to 5 degrees C warmer than the first 3 cores? Usuall cores 0, 1, 2 are around 29-31 degrees C and #3 will be about 5 degrees warmer. Is this normal or did I get the thermal paste and cooler on there unevenly?

Thanks.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 7:00:46 PM

garyhope said:
May I jump in and ask if anyone knows why one of my Intel i5 2500K core temps is usually 4 to 5 degrees C warmer than the first 3 cores? Usuall cores 0, 1, 2 are around 29-31 degrees C and #3 will be about 5 degrees warmer. Is this normal or did I get the thermal paste and cooler on there unevenly?

Thanks.

Totally normal and nothing to worry about. :)  If one of the cores was something like 15-20C warmer at idle, that would be a problem, but a 5C difference is absolutely fine.
m
l
August 29, 2012 7:24:21 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Totally normal and nothing to worry about. :)  If one of the cores was something like 15-20C warmer at idle, that would be a problem, but a 5C difference is absolutely fine.

Thanks very much DJ.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 7:24:58 PM

garyhope said:
Thanks very much DJ.

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
!