Am2, AMD, Core duo

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I am looking at amd processors, and i am getting a bit confused with prices/performance now that the am2 is out. i see and am2 4200 x2 for 188$, and i still see the old 4400 x2 for around 400+$ and core duo t2400 for 256$, i dont know which would be the best bang for the buck. where can i see the performance of all of these processors?

also i was looking to build a new computer for under 1000$. I would like it to be capable of playing a few games at full graphics and at 1280by1024: AOE3 and ut2007(i know it isnt out yet, but...). assuming my motherboard, and ram can support it, i dunno which vid card to get...

ParoXoN

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Wait a while for the AMD prices to drop and then pick up a 4400 or better. This'll save you some cash to pick up a nice graphics card, something from the nVidia 7800/7900 series would be your best bet.

Toss in a gig or two of suitable RAM and you're ready to go.

ParoXoN

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Not very long, a week or two I'd imagine. As for the difference between Am2 and 939, I don't imagine there'd be much of a difference... Spring for Am2 if you plan to update your CPU in the future, tho.

ParoXoN

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Hmm, to clarify: When you say "build a new computer" do you mean get a new combo of CPU, RAM, mobo and grfx, or do you actually mean build a new machine (w/ case, etc.)?

If the price is as low as they claim for the E6300, go for that.

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
ha, well that is kinda the funny thing, i tell my dad, yeah i just wanna upgrade the ram, motherboard, processor, vid card. then he says, and what else do you need to classify it as a new computer? so i will just be honest and call it a new computer.

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Core 2 E6300 the way to go after you OC it, it beats the FX-62 and it costs $183

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

holy cow! that article is ridiculous! so should i go with a core 2 duo? i have never overclocked before, but this certainly makes me want to start. they did not overclock any of the amd chips though, what kind of performance would they offer? better in any way?

gatoral65

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
While the AMD chips were not overclocked in that link they would not reach levels of the new conroe chips.

If I were you I would break it down the following way; if your upgrading mobo, cpu, memory etc your better off to go with Conroe as the performance/price is better... the only catch is what their exact retail price will be and when they will be available to order.

If on the other hand you need something right away or already have an AMD socket 939 board, the price cuts make for pretty nice upgrades.

RichPLS

Champion
About the best (actually better than most overclockers reach) is the FX-62... So lets be generous and give AMD's dual core chips the benifit of the overclocking doubt and use the FX-62's performance for being top performance of an overclocked AMD chip...
In comparison that makes Intel chips look even better...

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
hummm. ok well the core 2 duo looks like a great deal for the money, though if i dont overclock it, would say the e6400 be better than an amd for a similar price? long run? my biggest question is whether the 4mb over the 2mb cache makes a huge or significant difference, Amd only uses 2x512, or 2x1mb how can they keep up?

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
DeusEx Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:49 am Post subject: Re: Am2, AMD, Core duo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how old are you? --

Get a job mowing lawns, and take the cash to get yourself an E6600 - it's worth it.
probably older than you, my biggest question is whether the 4mb over the 2mb cache makes a huge or significant difference, Amd only uses 2x512, or 2x1mb how can they keep up?

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
dont go for a 7800/7900, go for an x1800xt 512mb ($300 on newegg.com, or an x1900xt with $100 rebate making it like $290, it would beat the crap out of any other card (even the 7900gtx :)) and for cpu's, just hold back a tad, and do not get a core duo t-...its a mobile procesor, get and x2 or a conroe (core 2 duo) good luck

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
haha - im 13 :)

dont worry - only a few are 13-14 on the forumz

anyway, the 4 mb cache will be a significant increase over the 2 mb - take my word...

amd catches up before by ofering faster fsbs 1 - ghz

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
the core 2 duo seems like the best way to go for now. say i am still interested in amd, what do i have to look forward to them producing in the future? would one socket, perhaps am2, be more likely to be able to allow for future processors?

gatoral65

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
AM2 is more future proof than Socket 939, infact some of socket 939's have already started getting phased out. From what I read AM3 should be backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards, which means you could keep your current motherboard assuming you went AM2 path right now, and then use an AM3 processor. This situation is unlikely to be used very often unless you really want to upgrade it small "chunks" ie not by the mobo, cpu, and ram all at once.

Socket 939 would seem to have a limited life left at this point. I'd go on further but that should cover the basics, and a huge thunder storm is parked over head.

Kirsby

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This is Off topic, but. When will Newegg.com be availble to send out their Core 2 Dou? Could it possilbe be before august the 15th?

RichPLS

Champion
AM2 is more future proof than Socket 939, infact some of socket 939's have already started getting phased out. From what I read AM3 should be backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards, which means you could keep your current motherboard assuming you went AM2 path right now, and then use an AM3 processor. This situation is unlikely to be used very often unless you really want to upgrade it small "chunks" ie not by the mobo, cpu, and ram all at once.

Socket 939 would seem to have a limited life left at this point. I'd go on further but that should cover the basics, and a huge thunder storm is parked over head.

So what? With Conroe supported boards you can upgrade to a quad core Conroe arch chip in December... that is future proof... and Intel will be cranking up the MHz and revising Conroe in the future, of which they too will be faster and fit on today's Conroe board... Hmmm, I get it... the fact that their marketing team did not declare it as such... :roll:

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
How much of a difference wlll these new quad-cores and AM3s make to the performance compared to the AM2s and the core-duo processors?

gatoral65

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

So what? With Conroe supported boards you can upgrade to a quad core Conroe arch chip in December... that is future proof... and Intel will be cranking up the MHz and revising Conroe in the future, of which they too will be faster and fit on today's Conroe board... Hmmm, I get it... the fact that their marketing team did not declare it as such... :roll:

Yes, I know this is the case. My comparison was 939/AM2, for some reason I may have misinterpreted the posters question to be focused on the two (939/AM2), as it would seem common sense that Conroe should be more future proof of all the chips since that it is a completely new CPU. Either way you are correct... sorry if I caused any confusion in my possible misinterpretation. Although I am fan of AMD I think that Conroe is great for all of us and do not purposely slam Intel.

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
i see. well i have always had intel, and was looking into amd before i knew about the core 2 duo. though now that it is out, and does have great performance, i suspect that it will rule for a while. as i asked before, i am still curious how amd will cath intel now.....

TRENDING THREADS