Back to basics.

Last response: in Brands
May 12, 2004 9:27:54 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Xposted:

A few day ago I managed to lose my 6 month old Nokia 6100 on Voda
contract, I think it slipped out my pocket while at work. As soon as the
loss was discovered the SIM and phone where immediately barred.

I did think about getting another 6100, but I'm pretty sure that it's
small size contributed to it's loss.

Now I was looking round for a suitable replacement handset, I didn't want
cameras, video, MP3, FM radio, clamshells, or flips. The 6100s colour
screen while is was nice, but it wasn't really essential to my usage, same
with the poly ringtones.

So I purchased a Nokia 6310i from Voda which just does the basics well,
plus it's tri-band, Java enabled and has internet, these are features that
I've found genuinely useful in a mobile-phone. Also reading thru the
comments on uk.telecom.mobile and alt.cellular.nokia it seems to be a well
regarded phone, with no major faults. Plus it's been around for a while so
most of the bugs should have been ironed out.

And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to the
6310i. I couldn't find any.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

More about : back basics

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:06:00 PM

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...
> Xposted:
><snip>
>
> And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to the
> 6310i. I couldn't find any.

T39 and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:07:19 PM

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

> "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...
> > Xposted:
> ><snip>
> >
> > And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to the
> > 6310i. I couldn't find any.
>
> T39 and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.

Sorry, meant R520, plus it's usually dirt cheap at Expansys.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
May 12, 2004 11:16:01 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
> "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...
> > Xposted:
> ><snip>
> >
> > And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to the
> > 6310i. I couldn't find any.
>
> T39 and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.

Maybe similar spec, but no where as nice to use, and no other phone rivals
the 6310i battery, which can also be extended to a staggering 3200mAh.

Steve Terry
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:44:57 PM

"Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
> > "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> > news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...
> > > Xposted:
> > ><snip>
> > >
> > > And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to
the
> > > 6310i. I couldn't find any.
> >
> > T39 and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.
> >
> Maybe similar spec, but no where as nice to use, and no other phone rivals
> the 6310i battery, which can also be extended to a staggering 3200mAh.

Seconded. I have a 6310i and a T39, both about 3 years old. The T39 is
completely wasted, whereas the 6310i is still holding on, albeit by its
teeth.

I am currently looking for a SIM free 6310i as a replacement for my aging
one... even £200 is worth it - such a wicked phone may never be created
again.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:44:58 PM

"root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
> > > "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> > > news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...

> the
> > >
> > > T39 and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.
> > >
> > Maybe similar spec, but no where as nice to use, and no other phone
rivals
> > the 6310i battery, which can also be extended to a staggering 3200mAh.
>
> Seconded. I have a 6310i and a T39, both about 3 years old. The T39 is
> completely wasted, whereas the 6310i is still holding on, albeit by its
> teeth.
>
> I am currently looking for a SIM free 6310i as a replacement for my
aging
> one... even £200 is worth it - such a wicked phone may never be created
> again.

If you can trust eBay, there are usually some there for £100 or so, I've
had a couple for £100 and £120 that are fine.

Ivor
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:05:50 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
> > > "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> > > news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...

> the
> > >
> > > T39 and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.
> > >
> > Maybe similar spec, but no where as nice to use, and no other phone rivals
> > the 6310i battery, which can also be extended to a staggering 3200mAh.
>
> Seconded. I have a 6310i and a T39, both about 3 years old. The T39 is
> completely wasted, whereas the 6310i is still holding on, albeit by its
> teeth.
>
> I am currently looking for a SIM free 6310i as a replacement for my aging
> one... even £200 is worth it - such a wicked phone may never be created
> again.

Why not get one from OSPS on Orange YP120 25quid a month with
100quid cashback, downtariff in 120 days (6 months from next month)
to a 10 to 14 quid tariff
http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk/orange.htm
Or possibly OVP O2 400 at 45quid a month, with 220 cashback, etc.

Unlock it yourself for free using the online unlocker at:
http://www.uniquephones.com/unlock/index.php

If you buy from OSPS
Please quote my recommend a friend number to them, 284468
So I get a voucher
OSPS sales line 0800 034 5678

Thanks
Steve Terry
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:12:50 AM

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> "root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
<snip>
> If you can trust eBay, there are usually some there for £100 or so,
> I've had a couple for £100 and £120 that are fine.
> Ivor

Don't even consider eBay, or used, unless you know the phones history in detail,
the CEIR blacklist has put paid to it.

Steve Terry
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:12:51 AM

> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> > "root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > If you can trust eBay, there are usually some there for £100 or so,
> > I've had a couple for £100 and £120 that are fine.
> > Ivor
> >
> Don't even consider eBay, or used, unless you know the phones history in
detail,
> the CEIR blacklist has put paid to it.
>
> Steve Terry

Perhaps I've been lucky then. Although I do usually try and only buy from
sellers close enough to me to visit so I can see the goods before handing
over any money. I'm a reasonably good judge of character when I meet
people face to face and I've not been wrong so far.

Ivor
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:12:51 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> > "root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > If you can trust eBay, there are usually some there for £100 or so,
> > I've had a couple for £100 and £120 that are fine.
> > Ivor
> >
> Don't even consider eBay, or used, unless you know the phones history in
detail,
> the CEIR blacklist has put paid to it.

Sorry Steve, but I can't agree with you on this one. So long as people do
their research first, and vet the seller, there is no reason why they
shouldn't buy second hand.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:28:32 AM

> "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> > > "root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> message
> > <snip>
> > > If you can trust eBay, there are usually some there for £100 or so,
> > > I've had a couple for £100 and £120 that are fine.
> > > Ivor
> > >
> > Don't even consider eBay, or used, unless you know the phones history
> > in detail, the CEIR blacklist has put paid to it.
> > Steve Terry
>
> Perhaps I've been lucky then. Although I do usually try and only buy from
> sellers close enough to me to visit so I can see the goods before handing
> over any money. I'm a reasonably good judge of character when I meet
> people face to face and I've not been wrong so far.
> Ivor

But the original owner can report it lost or stolen any time later,
and as 2nd user you have no rights at all to have the blacklist lifted.

It aint worth the risk, not when they are still available new, with loads of
network subsidy, making it cheap, and of course full Club Nokia guarantee.

Steve Terry
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:52:36 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:06:00 +0000, Richard Colton wrote:

> "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...
>> Xposted:
>><snip>
>>
>> And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to the
>> 6310i. I couldn't find any.
>
> T39

Unfortunately that's been discontinued. I used to have a t68 however,
which I used heavily for two years. I sold it to a friend six months ago,
and it's still going strong.

> and R320 from Ericsson spec wise are very similar to the 6310i.

AFAIK that's also discontinued.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:08:40 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg>...
> Xposted:
>
> And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to the
> 6310i. I couldn't find any.

There are - or were, three years ago. The Ericsson R520m (and later,
T30m) did everything the 6310i does, with the exception of Java (but
then it had a proper POP/SMTP mail client and good PIM functionality).
IMHO it wasn't popular because it looks were hard to take, and
basically it wasn't Nokia.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:49:02 PM

news:p an.2004.05.13.00.52.35.261000@ivetva.arg...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:06:00 +0000, Richard Colton wrote:
>

> > "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> > news:p an.2004.05.12.16.27.52.739000@ivetva.arg...
> >> Xposted:
> >><snip>
> >>
> >> And there any other handsets from manufacturers similarly specced to
the
> >> 6310i. I couldn't find any.
> >
> > T39
>
> Unfortunately that's been discontinued. I used to have a t68 however,
> which I used heavily for two years. I sold it to a friend six months ago,
> and it's still going strong.

Perhaps, but yo ucan still get one from extele.net - according to their web
site, anyway.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:49:59 PM

> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> > "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> > message
> > > <snip>
> > > >
> > > Don't even consider eBay, or used, unless you know the phones history
> > > in detail, the CEIR blacklist has put paid to it.
> > > Steve Terry
[...]
> But the original owner can report it lost or stolen any time later,
> and as 2nd user you have no rights at all to have the blacklist lifted.
>
> It aint worth the risk, not when they are still available new, with loads
of
> network subsidy, making it cheap, and of course full Club Nokia guarantee.

I agree with you, Steve. I wouldn't buy a used phone on ebay, not even a
new one. The risk is too high - if they black list it later on, you've had
it.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:51:33 PM

> "root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

[...]

> Why not get one from OSPS on Orange YP120 25quid a month with
> 100quid cashback, downtariff in 120 days (6 months from next month)
> to a 10 to 14 quid tariff
> http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk/orange.htm
> Or possibly OVP O2 400 at 45quid a month, with 220 cashback, etc.
>
> Unlock it yourself for free using the online unlocker at:
> http://www.uniquephones.com/unlock/index.php

Thanks for the advice Steve, but I have so many contracts going right now, I
doubt I'll even pass the credit check.

Got to hand it to you though, that Vodafone 100 offer (albeit from Phone4U -
spit!), was great. I hardly ever pay Orange's bean counters the money I was
before...
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:24:49 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> I'm a reasonably good judge of character when I meet
> people face to face and I've not been wrong so far.

Me never met <g>, maybe I should have sold it to the guy offering 200???

;-)))))

--

J B
Anonymous

> I wouldn't buy a used phone on ebay, not even a
>new one. The risk is too high - if they black list it later on, you've had
>it.

Now let me get this straight - you buy a perfectly good phone on E-Bay and
activate it, no problem.

Now how is it going to be black listed later?

I have bought most of my recent phones on E-Bay (both used and NEW) and never
had a problem. It seems that you are passing out advice on something that you
have no experience only (incorrect) opinions.

--
John S.
May 13, 2004 3:48:49 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> I'm a reasonably good judge of character when I meet
> people face to face and I've not been wrong so far.

We never met <g>, maybe I should have sold it to the guy offering 200???

;-)))))

--

J B
Anonymous

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> > I wouldn't buy a used phone on ebay, not even a
> >new one. The risk is too high - if they black list it later on, you've
had
> >it.
>
> Now let me get this straight - you buy a perfectly good phone on E-Bay and
> activate it, no problem.
>
> Now how is it going to be black listed later?
>
> I have bought most of my recent phones on E-Bay (both used and NEW) and
never
> had a problem. It seems that you are passing out advice on something that
you
> have no experience only (incorrect) opinions.
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

Easy - After receiving the money from you, the seller reports it stolen
(usually after a week or two) and claims under his insurance. The "Stolen"
phone is then black listed, and you have a useless phone.
This is a VERY common problem, both on E-Bay and adverts in local papers.

John..
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:16:40 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"root" <aetos@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:o rcv7c.fk6.ln@reepicheep.logica.co.uk...

[snip]

> > > Don't even consider eBay, or used, unless you know the phones
history
> [...]
> > But the original owner can report it lost or stolen any time later,
> > and as 2nd user you have no rights at all to have the blacklist
lifted.

> > It aint worth the risk, not when they are still available new, with
loads
> of
> > network subsidy, making it cheap, and of course full Club Nokia
guarantee.

> I agree with you, Steve. I wouldn't buy a used phone on ebay, not even
> new one. The risk is too high - if they black list it later on, you've
had
> it.

In principle, I'd agree, but as I said I'm a reasonable judge of character
and if I visit someone personally at their home to buy a phone I can tell
if they're likely to pull a fast one. I've never been wrong yet and all
the phones I've bought still work..!

Ivor
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 9:56:14 PM

>Easy - After receiving the money from you, the seller reports it stolen
>(usually after a week or two) and claims under his insurance. The "Stolen"
>phone is then black listed, and you have a useless phone.

Actually, if *I* Activate it it can't be reported stolen by someone else. Your
argument doesn't hold water.

--
John S.
May 15, 2004 10:46:18 PM

> >Easy - After receiving the money from you, the seller reports it stolen
> >(usually after a week or two) and claims under his insurance. The
"Stolen"
> >phone is then black listed, and you have a useless phone.
>
> Actually, if *I* Activate it it can't be reported stolen by someone
else. Your
> argument doesn't hold water.

Define "activate" - most people, me included I must admit, simply put an
existing SIM card in a 2nd hand phone.

Ivor
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 3:31:52 AM

>Define "activate" - most people, me included I must admit, simply put an
>existing SIM card in a 2nd hand phone.

And once a call is made, the IMEI number is registered on the carriers system
along with your SIM information. So someone else can't then call in and say -
oh by the way my phone with phone number xxx-yyyy has been lost or stolen. The
(new) number and the IMEI show that it is in fact in use elsewhere and the
carrier would contact the new owner.

--
John S.
May 16, 2004 7:57:16 PM

> >Define "activate" - most people, me included I must admit, simply put
an
> >existing SIM card in a 2nd hand phone.
> >

> And once a call is made, the IMEI number is registered on the carriers
system
> along with your SIM information. So someone else can't then call in and
say -
> oh by the way my phone with phone number xxx-yyyy has been lost or
stolen. The
> (new) number and the IMEI show that it is in fact in use elsewhere and
the
> carrier would contact the new owner.

So what if you swap SIM cards between several phones on a regular basis..?
I have 4 SIM's that get used in half a dozen phones, there's no guarantee
that the phone I use a SIM in today will be the same one I use it in
tomorrow ;-)

(Sad, I know..!)

Ivor
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 8:34:16 PM

>So what if you swap SIM cards between several phones on a regular basis..?
>I have 4 SIM's that get used in half a dozen phones, there's no guarantee
>that the phone I use a SIM in today will be the same one I use it in
>tomorrow ;-)

Well, I haven't had an issue with any phone that I have bought off e-bay so I
am at a loss as to why anyone even concerns themselves with it.

There are way too many things in this world that people should be more
concerned about.

--
John S.
May 16, 2004 9:08:17 PM

> >So what if you swap SIM cards between several phones on a regular
basis..?
> >I have 4 SIM's that get used in half a dozen phones, there's no
guarantee
> >that the phone I use a SIM in today will be the same one I use it in
> >tomorrow ;-)
>
> Well, I haven't had an issue with any phone that I have bought off e-bay
so I
> am at a loss as to why anyone even concerns themselves with it.
>
> There are way too many things in this world that people should be more
> concerned about.

No, nor have I. I've bought and sold a few phones on eBay and all the ones
I've bought are still working and nobody I've sold to has complained
(yet..!)

I was just asking if, when I swap SIM cards between several phones on a
daily basis, whether the networks get concerned. They haven't said
anything to me so far anyway..! Well except when I had a phone stolen and
it wasn't the original one that came with the SIM, then they got a bit
irritated, but a letter from my MP sorted that one, politicians have their
uses sometimes..!

Ivor
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 11:51:25 PM

>I was just asking if, when I swap SIM cards between several phones on a
>daily basis, whether the networks get concerned.

They don't care. The switches register the IMEI number but they don't flag
changes. The technical people at the switch have way more to do than that -
trust me.

--
John S.
May 18, 2004 6:09:47 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:27:54 +0100, michael turner wrote:

> Xposted:
>
> A few day ago I managed to lose my 6 month old Nokia 6100 on Voda
> contract, I think it slipped out my pocket while at work. As soon as the
> loss was discovered the SIM and phone where immediately barred.

<snipped>

> So I purchased a Nokia 6310i from Voda....

Update:

Having had the 6310i for just over a week now, and overall I'm very
impressed with this handset. But there is one feature of the 6100 that I
missed, and that is the built-in loudspeaker handsfree mode. This was
useful to me because I spend 7-9 hours a night driving on business, and I
always like to keep in contact with friends and family.

I did think about getting an in-car loudspeaker handsfree solution, but
this was decided against because of the frequent plugging and unplugging
needed when I take the phone with me on site visits. And Bluetooth
loudspeaker kits where ruled out because of the cost.

So today I purchased a SonyEricsson HBH-200 Bluetooth headset from
Phones4U for £80, as the 6310i is BT enabled. This is the headset with
the small clothing-worn control box with the earbud on a short flex. This
particular BT headset was chosen because it's quite discreet, and has a
small screen which indicates who's calling etc, as the 6310i is in my
pocket. Plus it appears to work very well with the 6310i.

I did NOT want a totally ear-worn headset, because IMO these things tend
to make you look like a *Borg-Drone* from Star Trek. Boom mics,
wierd-shapes, flashing LEDs, etc. And I wanted something I didn't have to
keep in my ear all the time when not engaged in a call, which these
ear-worn headsets do.

A totally wired headset was also considered, but was dismissed because of
the long dangly tangle-prone flex going into my pocket.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)