Why does my computer say reboot or insert boot media in selected boot device

evang23

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I'm not very computer savvy at all, and I really don't wanna spend 300 dollars to repair my computer, as i just lost my job.....in the middle of me job hunting, my screen just went black and said "reboot or insert boot media" i don't know computer terms or anything, so can someone dumb it down and break it down to simple step-by-step directions on how i can possibly repair this? i have already did the f-12 thing but nothing happened....please help and thank you in advance!!

Either the hard drive that has your operating system on it just died or the bios just put the drive with the OS as not the boot device.
If you start your computer as it goes through the boot sequence you will see at the bottom of the screen options and one of them will say to press a certian key to go to the boot sequnce for the drives. Once the window opens up at the top of the list you woll see hard drives and select that then you should see the hard drives on the computer , if there's only one then you should see that one and it should be listed first. If there is anything in front of it then you need to get it out snd mskr the hsrd drive first.