Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on but no display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2012 5:04:57 PM

So ive built my own computer recently, and i used to have a custom computer my uncle had built for me. but i didnt like it and now doing everything myself. so far ive reused my old power supply [1000w] and my old hard drive that had windows 7 64 bit on it. everything else is brand new. the computer turns on everything is running, all fans and things, and no display is showing at all. ive tried 3 different vga cords and nothing will help. i just put in a new graphics card because i thought that was the problem and it hasnt done anything for me. im connecting my monitor to the graphics card, because the motherboard i have doesnt have a vga slot. WHAT CAN I DO?! I am completely stuck here, and about to set my computer on fire. is my motherboard broken or something? all of my cables are plugged in accordingly and i cant even get to a bios screen because i have NO DISPLAY. if any of you tech guys could help a kid out, it would be my birthday present and i would love you forever.

More about : computer turns display

a c 232 U Graphics card
March 5, 2012 5:35:45 PM

If you know that the video card (a.k.a. GPU) works, then double check that your power connectors (24-pin and 4 (or 8) pin) are firmly connected to the motherboard. Push until the click into place.

Also, double check the fit of any external power connections to the GPU as well.
m
l
March 5, 2012 5:50:03 PM

yes everything is in. i just redid everything, uncluding the usb's and frontal case plug ins to the motherboard. still same problem. i have no idea what to do.
m
l
Related resources
a c 232 U Graphics card
March 5, 2012 5:58:55 PM

Reset the BIOS to default. Power everything off and remove all power sources (power cable, monitor, powered speakers, etc). Press the power button to discharge any residual power. Open the case and remove the motherboard battery. Wait 30 seconds. Re-install the battery and reverse the earlier instructions. Try to start the system again.
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:05:54 PM

i still feel like a total retard sausage
did what you said and no hope. still no monitor display. just to reiterate, i have never gotten the monitor to display on the computer since i built it a few days ago. been wandering the internet on my laptop looking for solutions for this.
anything else i can try?
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:07:09 PM

also, should i just get another motherboard with a vga slot? because the one i have doesnt have one, althought it would cause huge money problems, ill do what i can if i need to, if there is no solution left, that is.
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:26:53 PM

Not to be a smartass, but are you sure the monitor still works? You've hooked it up to another computer? You're sure it's plugged in and turned on?

Are you getting a "standby" signal on the monitor or not even that?
Are you getting a post screen at all?

I know that on some ViewSonic models if the resolution isn't supported you hook up the monitor it will tell you as much. In that case I've had to hook up a different monitor, change the resolution to something the ViewSonic can handle, and then put the ViewSonic back. Total pain in the balls.
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:37:07 PM

yes ive tried 3 different monitors 4 different monitor cords and 2 different power cords. every monitor says no signal. monitors are not a problem
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:40:44 PM

Can you be more specific about the make and model of your

Graphics card
Monitor
Motherboard
PSU

Also, what connection are you using between the graphics card and the monitor? DVI? HDMI? Display Port? Can you try using a different KIND of connection? If you're using VGA, try a DVI or HDMI instead.
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:45:44 PM

gtx 550 ti overclocked from factory
vizio 32inch screen tv / acer 22 inch screen monitor / dell 20 inch screen monitor
msi 970a - g45
1000w
dont have small enough hdmi cord for that, or else i would have already tried. =[
been using vga, tried both slots numerous times, tried both ports for my graphics card in my motherboard. out of ideas
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:00:49 PM

Which GTX 550 TI specifically? The manufacturer matters. Some GTX 550s have VGA (blue cable connector) and DVI (white cable connectors). Are you using VGA (blue) or DVI (white)? I'd highly recommend NOT using VGA (blue). It's an analog signal, and it limits the resolutions available to you.

Also, did you connect the PSU to the graphics card (see below)?

m
l
March 5, 2012 7:02:16 PM

yes i have connected that to my psu and im using the white, with the connector that came in the packaging . the fan runs on it just like everything else in my system. pci express is what is hooked up to it by the way
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:05:17 PM

OK, FYI, WHITE is DVI for your reference.

Are you SURE you stuck the card in the PCI-e x 16 slot? I made the rookie mistake of accidentally plugging a graphics card into the PCI-e x 1 slot once because it was adjacent to the PCI-e x 16 slot I was aiming for. The card will still go into the smaller slot. The giveaway that you've done this is that the card will come out of the slot REALLY easily.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:09:09 PM

yes i am sure
still no luck though
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:24:29 PM

about to return computer or set it on fire. this is making me mad to a whole new level. dont see how it simply doesnt just plug the hell in and work.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:32:11 PM

You have to move a tab to one side on the slot to get the card out. You shouldn't be able to just pull it out.

I'm assuming you tried both DVI ports on the card, too?

Could be bad RAM. Try adding your RAM one stick at a time and see if that resolves the problem.

If you've done all that... I'm really not sure. Could be a fried mobo or PSU. Even though everything appears to turn on, you might not be getting enough current to power the system. You can get a PSU tester for about $30 - less than replacing either component.

Also, are you sure your mobo supports your video card?
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:36:21 PM

holy *** motherboards can only support cirtain video cards? because on the box of my motherboard it says something radeon. not sure if that makes a huge difference or not but its there. and ram is brand new. just got my second stick in the mail today.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:45:17 PM

Well, your GPU should work with that mobo. Trouble is a machine not posting isn't limited to compatibility between the GPU and the mobo. Could be any number of things. Heat, power, hardware malfunction.

How long ago did you buy the motherboard? What processor do you have installed on it? Did you ever have that motherboard-CPU combo working? I'd actually try calling the support line for MSI if I were you. Let them support their product.

Also, for your reference, dropping a HDD that already has Windows installed on it into a rig with a new motherboard isn't typically the route you want to go - you'll want a fresh install of Windows.
m
l
April 13, 2013 12:20:51 AM

jomama778 said:
So ive built my own computer recently, and i used to have a custom computer my uncle had built for me. but i didnt like it and now doing everything myself. so far ive reused my old power supply [1000w] and my old hard drive that had windows 7 64 bit on it. everything else is brand new. the computer turns on everything is running, all fans and things, and no display is showing at all. ive tried 3 different vga cords and nothing will help. i just put in a new graphics card because i thought that was the problem and it hasnt done anything for me. im connecting my monitor to the graphics card, because the motherboard i have doesnt have a vga slot. WHAT CAN I DO?! I am completely stuck here, and about to set my computer on fire. is my motherboard broken or something? all of my cables are plugged in accordingly and i cant even get to a bios screen because i have NO DISPLAY. if any of you tech guys could help a kid out, it would be my birthday present and i would love you forever.

m
l
April 13, 2013 12:24:34 AM

hello friend, did they answer your questions here? im just new here and i want to have my answers on my questions what is the possible answer if my computer turns on but no display and beeps at all... :) 
m
l
!