New Build not responding

rschroe3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Okay so I have the RAM, GPU and Processor and Fan all hooked up to the mobo the fans all turn on but I dont get a response on screen from the GPU or the onboard video. I tried with 1 stick in and i tried booting without the video card hooked up. I dont get anything on the monitor. How can I trouble shoot this?

ASrock z68 gen3
i3-2120
gtx 560ti
Gskill 2x4bg
OCZ 600W Modular

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I recently had a similar problem with an AMD board. Sounds like you either have bad RAM or a faulty BIOS. I would recommend trying to reset the BIOS and CMOS (details should be in your motherboard's manual). Also, if you can, check by using memory you know is working (don't assume that just because it's brand new that it isn't faulty). Also double check that the memory is compatible with your board, and that your connection to the monitor is good (possibly a bad cable, or worse a bad port). If none of that works you might have a faulty motherboard BIOS.

rschroe3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I appreciate the quick response. I was so consumed with excitement i forgot to plug in the 8pin to the MOBO silly me. Everything works perfectly. I am now formatting my HDD so I can use it also!

But I do have a question that is off topic to my original question. What is the best way to use a SSD and HDD in unison? With the default folders on my SSD what's the simplest way to manage the files between the two? I have no experience using a secondary drive for 75% of my files.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, stuff happens like that. ALways a good idea to double check everything.

Anyway, your second question... Honestly I haven't yet gotten around to dropping an SSD into my rig. But, from what I know of how my brother and others tend to do it, the best way is to put all your system folders and apps on the SSD. You should be able to move your "My Folders" to the HDD and set all your saves there. No RAID or anything like that. Your programs should have an option for where to direct saves, just change that location to the HDD.

But, I'm a complete novice in that area so your best bet is to scout the forums or post another thread. Sorry I can't be a little more helpful. Good luck. :hello: