Can you replace cpu in laptop, if so how?

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I have a friends laptop and he wants to use it for gaming, but it is no where near good enough. I suggested upgrading the cpu, but I'm not sure if you can.

Idk the specs of the laptop but I do know it has an AMD APU (socket FM1), which I would like to replace with something like an A8-3850.

Is this possible? I'm sure it will void the warranty, but its his laptop, so its not my decision.

If it is possible, could I get a good vid or web page tutorial.

Solution
OK. You can't put a desktop CPU into a laptop. While the processors look the same laptop motherboards se a different socket. Also laptop CPU's run cooler and have a lower TDP than their desktop version. You need to know hat type of laptop it is, then you need to go onto the manufactures website and look up your laptop model. Somewhere on the website you will see a CPU upgrade support list. Those CPU's are the only one that will work with your motherboard.
You can't put a desktop CPU into a laptop. While the processors look the same laptop motherboards use a different socket. Also laptop CPU's run cooler and have a lower TDP than their desktop version. You need to know what type of laptop it is, then you need to go onto the manufactures website and look up your laptop model. Somewhere on the website you will see a CPU upgrade support list. Those CPU's are the only one that will work with your motherboard.

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I have a friends laptop and he wants to use it for gaming, but it is no where near good enough. I suggested upgrading the cpu, but I'm not sure if you can.

Idk the specs of the laptop but I do know it has an AMD APU (socket FM1), which I would like to replace with something like an A8-3850.

Is this possible? I'm sure it will void the warranty, but its his laptop, so its not my decision.

If it is possible, could I get a good vid or web page tutorial.

I'm pretty sure the APU in your friends laptop uses a different socket than the Desktop versions.

With lots of research, I'm sure you can replace the CPU in your friends laptop.

Though there's too many things that have to be considered when upgrading laptop components (CPU/GPU).

1) Wattage of your current CPU
2) What TDP your motherboard supports
3) Heatsink Fan assembly

Laptop CPU's tend to heat up A LOT and the cooler that comes with your laptop is generally only meant to handle the default CPU, replacing your current CPU with a better/power hungrier model may cause massive overheating.

OK. You can't put a desktop CPU into a laptop. While the processors look the same laptop motherboards se a different socket. Also laptop CPU's run cooler and have a lower TDP than their desktop version. You need to know hat type of laptop it is, then you need to go onto the manufactures website and look up your laptop model. Somewhere on the website you will see a CPU upgrade support list. Those CPU's are the only one that will work with your motherboard.

Solution
Laptops are very hard to upgrade because they are made with very few upgrade paths and if your wanting to use the laptop for gaming the the vdeo card is what you would get the most performance increase from. Adding ram is also a good thing to do if you can.