Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build Ideas

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2012 12:03:22 AM

Newcomer

More Information

New to this forum and excited about it....I am building a custom pc and would like some feedback....So far all I know is i am using
the
Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.....

price is not a huge issue but dont wanta get too carried away

looking for a good motherboard/cpu combo and video card ideas..here is what i want out of them

motherboard/cpu usb 3.0 capable..crossfire and or sli capable.....would either like i5 or i7 or maybe the new amd eight core..not really sure so any ideas on this is appreciated

I will be gaming so keep that in mind

out of video card id like a good gaming card... hdmi out ...and not real sure of this but gonna put a tv tuner card in pc so doesn't the video card need to be hdcp capable...no clue what this is if yall can explain...

excited to hear ideas and thanks for any help

More about : build ideas

May 9, 2012 12:41:28 AM

What is your budget?

Here are some thoughts:

1) For gaming, AMD 6/8 core is a terrible choice. Intel i3/i5 are the best, depending on budget Few games use more than two or three cores. The hyperthreading capability of an i7 will be wasted.

2) My thoughts/rant on sli/crossfire:

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.

3) A TV tuner card will allow you to recieve tv signals, either over the air, or via cable. Some will allow a cable card so you can see encrypted channels.
Do some research on the home theater forums to see what you need.
Here is a link to get you started:
http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/index.html
If your graphics card has a HDMI output, you should be OK. Most modern graphics cards do.

4) I think every new build should try to incorporate a SSD for at least the OS. 60gb will do. If you can handle 120gb, you will have room for 8-10 games too.
I like Intel for quality; look at their 330 series.

5) Include an aftermarket cpu cooler. The cm hyper212 is good and cheap. It will keep your cpu cooler and quieter under load.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:59:40 AM

Thanks for all the info really appreciate it why is amd6 or 8 core bad idea and is hyperthreading main difference in i5 vs i7?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 9, 2012 1:22:30 AM

andyw80 said:
Thanks for all the info really appreciate it why is amd6 or 8 core bad idea and is hyperthreading main difference in i5 vs i7?

1. Because games mostly only use 2-3 cores, 6 and 8 core cpu's are no better than 4 core cpu's.
2. Bulldozer was a disappointment for gamers because the efficiency of the cores per clock was less than those from Intel. It was OK for heavily multi threaded apps.

In addition to hyperthreading, the i7 chips will come with more cache. I have seen nothing to document how much the added cache adds to typical performance. As far as I can tell, it is minimal. Since a i7 will cost $100 more, and overclock to the same levels, the gamer does not get adequate value for the $100.
May 11, 2012 12:36:50 AM

Zgreat thanks for the info
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:26:31 AM

Best answer selected by andyw80.
m
l
!