Crashing during gaming - Black Screen, sound loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haguruma

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I figured it was time to update my computer a few weeks ago so I decided to try my hand at making my own and ordered a megacombo package from Newegg.

At first it seemed to run perfectly fine, no strange hiccups or anything. Started up, installed Windows 7 and got everything ready to go.

I started playing TERA on my new rig and it ran beautifully--until randomly one day the screen blacked out and started repeating a fragment of the last sound played on loop. Monitor said it had no input, computer remained on but nothing would happened. Forced me to hard reset. Upon restarting my computer I had no error files outside of the usual "windows closed improperly."

Googling the problem didn't aid me that much, I found similar problems coming up in Skyrim and Tera but no solutions that worked. Updating my BIOs, Drivers, rewiring it for airflow, checking temperatures, etc. Nothing seems to work so far, so maybe I need a bit more insight or need to change something I'm not yet experienced with. I'm really afraid of ruining this by messing with it myself, so I'm requesting some help from others that might know what's going on.

I can confirm it has crashed in this way for me on Skyrim as well and the one that really irked me: Spore.

Here are the specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

Processor: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 Modular Active PFC

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Solution
check that the ram they sent you is on the mb qual list. if it is check that your using the xmp profile. you have to go into advance settings under memory to turn it on. download cpu-z and hardware monitor-z. check the voltage of the power supply legs see that there withing specs. (3.3/5v/12v) also check that the chipset chips are not running hot when sitting there with nothing running. they should be in the 35-45c range depending on airflow of the case. if these chipset get to hot the computer will lock up/crash. i would run memtest overnight to chek the ram if it passes. i would download prime95 and run one copy for each of the cores in your cpu to stress the system. as it running use cpu-z and gpu-z and hardware monitor to watch the...
check that the ram they sent you is on the mb qual list. if it is check that your using the xmp profile. you have to go into advance settings under memory to turn it on. download cpu-z and hardware monitor-z. check the voltage of the power supply legs see that there withing specs. (3.3/5v/12v) also check that the chipset chips are not running hot when sitting there with nothing running. they should be in the 35-45c range depending on airflow of the case. if these chipset get to hot the computer will lock up/crash. i would run memtest overnight to chek the ram if it passes. i would download prime95 and run one copy for each of the cores in your cpu to stress the system. as it running use cpu-z and gpu-z and hardware monitor to watch the temp and voltages of the system. if the system lock up in prime95 you have a hardware issue. i would start then by taking out 1/2 ram and see if the system still locks if it does. i would see if someone had a spare ps to see if the ps not holding. if you dont have a spare ps see if someone has an older video card or a pci one or use onboard if the system has it to see if the ps not holding up under load.

Solution

haguruma

Honorable
May 8, 2012
A note, I have liquid cooling on my Processor. Heats aren't going above 30C during the prime95 test so far. I've got some pretty good airflow inside my PC as well, several fans attached to the case keeps everything in the 30-50C range, the only time my GPU goes over 50 is while I play Tera, though sometimes it reaches 60 when I check it. I have to set the fans on it to 60-80% speed to keep it cooler because it refuses to go above ~20% speed.

Upon checking my cpu-z, I found out I didn't place the memory optimally on my MB so I'm going to swap the position on those.

I don't think I can set the XMP profile on this MB since it's an AMD.

Still need to do a complete memtest--Memory is on my MB qualifying list.

haguruma

Honorable
May 8, 2012
That's what I've been hearing. I might just try another PSU.

memtest checked out and I don't have anything overheating, voltages remain in range according to Hardware Monitor. Might get a digital multimeter just to be sure. 10-20 bucks is a small amount to pay compared to buying a new PSU or dealing with a fried MB.

Playing on my old Geforce GT 240 didn't result in any crashes, so I suppose it might be something with the connection between the PSU and the GPU or the GPU itself.

Also, I noted little popping sounds here and there. They were rare, but pretty distinguished among the other sounds in the game (Usually the game would make a sound similar to these popping noises at the time of the sound loop start and crash with the other GPU. It actually made me flinch and prepare for a black screen.) Would this have anything to do with the crashes?

Well, I put my card back in and it's working fine, now. Not sure if deactivating on-board sound, changing the PCI connectors from the PSU out, or just re-securing the connections fixed it.

TomHardWhere

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Could you please tell me the exact steps that you used to solve the problem? Preferably not any excess data. I have experienced this problem often as well, and as I have a laptop there is not much space to be able to just fiddle with different things. Thanks! :bounce:

streetlightout

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Sorry to use this thread to ask my question, but the problem I'm having is very close to the same. As I use my computer, the video will randomly freeze and the sound will just loop on whatever the last thing played was. When I hold my power button to kill the machine, often when I start it back up my fans will kick, the mobo sounds like it's posting, but then I get nothing coming from my monitor - typically I have to wait 5-10 minutes all the while restarting my machine to get the video to come back on (this just happened as I was typing this out...). I thought at first it was my mobo just dying slowly since I used to every once in awhile have to restart because my ethernet port wouldn't function correctly, but after reading this thread and trying a few things out I really have no idea what is going on.

I downloaded and ran the prime95 program - upon the first time of running it I got a BSOD saying "memory_management" with stop code 0x1a - so I then decided to run memtest overnight which came back completely clean. This morning I get up and start up prime95 again and get it running, a few minutes later my screen just goes black and then my monitor acts like the computer isn't on (idle light blinks but it knows it's connected to the computer) but my fans are all still running on my machine, I didn't have my headset on so I couldn't tell if the sound was skipping, but I bet it was since that's what typically happens.

My thoughts then went to maybe it's my graphics card - so I pulled it out last night when my computer wasn't booting properly and tried the mobo's VGA adapter, that worked fine, but after trying that and then plugging my GPU back in my GPU was functioning fine - I'm some what at a lose for whether it's a faulty connecting on my PCI slots (I have two and tried both for my GPU, at the time neither worked, but after plugging back into my original location with it the computer booted fine.) or whether my GPU is just being extremely finicky - because of the inconsistency in when this occurs I can't really determine what the problem is and don't really know how to test it.

My CPU runs from 39-46C when starting up and just running browers and gets up to low 50s when gaming. My GPU runs anywhere from 50-70 under low usage to gaming. I don't think it's overheating as I recently upgraded my case and CPU fan since my computer was running much much hotter before, but I still do think the heat I'm getting for both my CPU and GPU could be lowered.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1467-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PEP22G6400EL
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair Gaming Memory 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

PSU: Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

HD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

My mobo and PSU are my oldest parts since they are the only parts remaining from when I originally built this machine back in the summer of 2008 - that's also why I'm leaning towards my mobo, simply that it's old (the last BIOS update was Dec 12, 2010). I have also updated all the firmware/drivers for my the majority of my computer's components in the hopes that the problem was there, but the problem still persists.

Again, sorry to steal this thread, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

buddyb2

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Wow, I ordered the same combo off newegg and I'm having the exact same issue.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

Processor: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 Modular Active PFC

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Would you please tell me what you did to fix the issue? I tried everything you did to no avail. If anyone could help I would be greatly appreciative.

RestlessAvenger

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hey OP, have you crashed since you fixed your issue? I have the same type of crash with same card while running a variety of games including Skyrim. I have sometimes gone over 6 hours to a day without crashing. Can you please in detail explain what fixed the issue if it has been entirely fixed?

Bobellen

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Im running into the same problem, im playing Fallout NV or Max Payne 3 and my fans become really loud along with the black screen and the sound loop and it takes a few minutes of being off before it will boot back up with a visual on my moniter. While the games are running none of my temps are going about 40, most are in the 30-35 range.

My computer spec's are
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 30 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (CPUSocket) 35 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1280x1024@60Hz)
1280MB GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 40 °C
Hard Drives
119GB M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device (SSD)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST c ATA Device

Im very computer stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff so any help would be very much appreciated.

Bobellen

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
And now i have run into a problem just browsing the internet where the looping of sound came for about 2 sec, then the screen went blue and displayed "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer, etc."

DarkXideX88

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I have virtually the same problem, I can fix it simply by putting the computer to sleep (I have a button on my keyboard) and then waking it up again. It will play a sound loop for a few seconds then go back to normal.
For me it only happens when I do things that requires high RAM (Playing TF2 mostly)

G

I SOLVED black screen + jammed sound freeze about a month ago. Tried many things, but only one worked:

Download any program that allows you to clock your graphic card (I used nVidiaInspector) and underclock it a little.

I had often crashes in League of Legends, Diablo 3 and similar games, but since i turned both GPU and graphic memory 40 MHz lower, I never had even one crash, and the underclocking had no serious impact on fps. Seems like capacitors cant handle highest performance any more. :hello:

rickr000

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Anonymous solution worked for me....and smorizio's list of monitoring tools and checks was very helpful to check temp and rule things out. in the end I used ati catalyst control centre, went into performance and lowered the mhz as anonymous said - worked a treat. I did get a hit in fps....tomb raider was at 51 avg, went down to 47, so not the end of the world.

if anyone knows the best way to boost the card back up (as it was bought with those standard clock settings after all) that'd be great!

is it a psu issue perhaps? temp is fine so wondering if its a voltage thing. any advice on how to get it back up to higher clock speeds much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.