Eyefinity 3rd monitor issue

Thaevok

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770. 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort. Running Win7 Ultimate

I have 2 Samsungs running off of their DVI ports, one is using the GPU's DVI port and the other is using an HP "DVI to Displayport" adapter. My 3rd monitor only has a D Sub connection and an HDMI.

in order to get a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup running, ive tried plugging it in using the remaining DVI port with a "DVI to VGA" cord. Ive also tried to plug it in through the HDMI port, all to no avail. All 3 monitors work on their own, and I can even get eyefinity to work on any 2 monitor combination of the 3, but when I try to get a 3rd desktop extention running, my computer will say "Cannot save these settings".

My computer recognizes that there are 3 monitors connected, and will let me select the 3rd to extend the desktop to; it just gives me that error message whenever I try to save the settings.

Am i missing something? Do I need a different monitor configuration? Ive been having way too many problems with eyefinity Im beginning to think this isnt worth it :/

Thaevok

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I have tried both of those combinations. I have 3 HD monitors all running at the default 1920 x 1080

I have read that I need an active converter for the 3rd monitor to be recognized, and i dont think this converter is an "Active" converter. But the 3rd display is still recognized...?

To set up Eyefinity, 2 monitors can be plugged into anything (generally). However, at least 1 monitor needs to be connected to Display Port and, yes, it must be an active adapter. If your resolution on that monitor is 1920x1200 or less, you can get the right adapter for around $30-40. It must be Active and you only need Single Link (Dual Link are typically $100+). You can get it to DVI, HDMI, VGA, whatever you want.

Ichy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this might help the OP aswell, wolfram23 whats the difference between single and dual link adapaters (going to be setting up my eyefinity display shortly as well)?