Sign in with
Your question

Looking to build a desktop for use as a seedbox/downloader

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2012 1:38:00 AM

I already own an HDD and an OS. I don't need any peripherals like monitors, speakers, etc. Would like it to be under 200 dollars. Will use my own peripherals to set it up and remote view it.
May 9, 2012 1:49:15 AM

The only really important thing is if the computer has 10/100 or gigabit ethernet. I have an HP DV5-2047ca (you can look it up on HP Canada) and I've seen it seed at 8MB/s (That's megabytes, not bits) and downloading at 8MB/s (at the same time). Point being, I was reaching the limit of the internet connection. Since no retail / build your down PCs come in at under $200, you'd have to look for used PCs. If you are unsure about the specs of a used PCs, post a link to it and/or NEATLY lay out the specs so that I (or someone else) can let you know if it is sufficient. Since I have no clue where you live, it wouldn't make sense for me to search for you.
m
l
May 9, 2012 5:40:03 AM

If it was for the sole purpose of downloading, and I already have the HDD, I'm sure the price can go under 200. Microcenter has used Pentium Ds for 20 bucks.
m
l
Related resources
!