How to partition for Linux, XP AND W2K?

G

I would like to run W2K, XP and Linux as a multi OS on my PC but have no idea how to partition and format my disk for these. Can any one point me to some good advice?

Regards

Frederick

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Search the archives, I've posted this info at least 3 times.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Right. Check my post about my [nearly identical] problem and the great solution Red_Zealot gave me for it. Although you may not really need such solutions: It's worked out without a hitch on 2 of my friends' PCs without any special things for them to consider. They both use GRUB instead of NT boot menu though.

G

That's great but it's not obvious after looking through your threads which one covers my problem for all 3 OS.

Regards

Frederick

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
If you HAVE partitioned your HDD, skip to the next paragraph. I'd say the best way is to use FDISK and create two DOS partitions(one primary and one logical each for one MS OS) BUT don't use all of the HD space when it asks you so. For example on a 20 GB drive 7.5 GBs on C and 7.5GBs on D plus leave 5 GBs UNALLOCATED (of course consider your HD size, how many parts you really need, etc.) Then you would create a Linux root (/) plus a Linux SWAP partition on the unallocated space. If you don't want to format your hard disk (and I bet you've got no unallocated space on it) use a utility like Partition Magic: I used version 7.0 without a single trouble. If you need more info post again and I'd try to help on this issue.
I'm writing about RedHat 7.2 but this should apply to any other distribution out there. You should install 2000 first and then XP, I'd say the former on D and the latter on C. The order of these is obvious, and you should know that the boot loaders of Microsoft OSes completely screw Linux. Then simply boot from your Linux CD and install the thing. REMEMBER TO BE CAREFUL because some options guide you to things you didn't wish for, e.g. a complete format of the HDD in case of default server install. I always prefer the custom install so that I have every option set by me. Now, when asked about the bootloader, if you don't have any fishy HDD arrangements (just read my post although I'm not 0 sure this has been the cause for my headaches the first time...) go with writing to MBR and choosing GRUB [or LILO]. Check that your other OSes would be mentioned in the new boot menu. If you've got any doubts, do whatever Red_Zealot had posted earlier to me and you'd have the XP boot menu with 2K and Linux as other options...Good luck!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 01/04/02 00:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Here is the link for using the NT boot manager as your booter (Just substitute 2k for Me and XP for 2k in my advice):
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=14199#14199

*All 1 line*...

I prefer using the NT boot manager, because I think that NT likes using the MBR, plus you miss all the options, like /fastdetect, that the NT boot manager offers.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.