Black screen after logo

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here. I was fiddling around with my computer, and upon my last boot, it blackscreened after the windows logo came up and loaded the OS. I've te plugged almost everything, including the power cable. Any suggestions to what could be wrong, or how to fix?

Solution

if your mb has onboard video ports you may have set them as the first video output in the bios. I would see if you can get into windows 8 with the onboard gpu. if you can check that the 4/8 pin pci power is connected and that all the video card power plugs are connected. then see in the bios what video chipset was set as the first one.. ipgpu (onboard) or (peg/pci).
the other issue it could be if there no onboard video is you set the...

if your mb has onboard video ports you may have set them as the first video output in the bios. I would see if you can get into windows 8 with the onboard gpu. if you can check that the 4/8 pin pci power is connected and that all the video card power plugs are connected. then see in the bios what video chipset was set as the first one.. ipgpu (onboard) or (peg/pci).
the other issue it could be if there no onboard video is you set the video output of the gpu so high your monitor cant lock onto it.
you can try and boot into safe mode f8 and remove the video drivers then reboot and then download the newest amd/nvidia drivers.

Solution

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
If it works fine don`t play with it, unless you have a clue as to what you are doing.
By fiddling with it were you playing around in the Bios settings of the board, It sounds like it, and what Smorizio is telling you is likely the cause.

nathoka

Honorable
May 21, 2012

This problem has occured one time or everytime???

because my pc today also showed black screen after logo but after shutting down from power button and starting again it went normal

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I kicked 8 to the curb, but I did have the "black screen" at start-up which looks like a total fail, but i'd type, click around, hit it in the side of the head and login screen would come up, it's almost like it boots straight into sleep, not sure if that's happening to you but try typing your pw in the darkness..

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

Thanks, i just started it up with onboard, switched it to the graphics card via the NVIDIA control panel, and it all works now. No idea why that worked, but hey. Can't complain.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

Yes, thank you, for assuming I have no prior computer knowledge and I am just fumbling around after pressing a wrong button. If I knew everything about what I'm doing, I wouldn't be asking this question in a community forum. I appreciate the extra agreement to Smorizio's contribution, but really, your reply is unnecessary.