Sign in with
Your question

Would it be okay to buy a case & power supply now for later use?

Last response: in Components
August 25, 2012 9:21:56 AM

Newegg has a really good deal on the Case and PSU I want to get for my next build which is anywhere from six months to a year down the road. I wanted you folks opinion on whether or not it would be a good idea to go ahead and snatch them up now and keep 'em in storage for down the road? There's no extreme leaps in technology for cases and PSU's like there is for CPUs and GPUs, right? The only thing I can think of is USB 3.O for the cases, in which case the one I'm looking at already has that...

For reference, here's the items I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

20% off, which I think is a really nice deal.

What do you guys think?

More about : buy case power supply

a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:23:43 AM

What on earth are you doing that requires 1.3 kW?
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:30:12 AM

seeing how its got 8x 6+2 pci-e plugs quad sli :D 
nice looking case and power supply

i've had cases still in boxes i brought nearly a year before i ended up building the systems
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 10:13:37 AM

If you're going to be overclocking your system and running multiple graphics cards that certainly looks like a suitable power supply to go for. The case looks half decent as well. My only concern would be the warranty which starts from the moment you buy the items so you would be wasting the first 6 months of it.

At the end of the day it's your money and your decision.
m
l
August 25, 2012 10:42:14 AM

FinneousPJ said:
What on earth are you doing that requires 1.3 kW?
As the above posters said, multiple GPU setup, OCing, watercooling, etc.

tassietim said:
seeing how its got 8x 6+2 pci-e plugs quad sli :D 
nice looking case and power supply

i've had cases still in boxes i brought nearly a year before i ended up building the systems
What about PSUs, though? I imagine the paperclip test will be enough to make sure it's working, and then store it. What do you think?

pauls3743 said:
If you're going to be overclocking your system and running multiple graphics cards that certainly looks like a suitable power supply to go for. The case looks half decent as well. My only concern would be the warranty which starts from the moment you buy the items so you would be wasting the first 6 months of it.

At the end of the day it's your money and your decision.
Yeah, I thought about that and it would be a bit of a waste of the warranty, but I feel like it's worth the risk. I just want to get you guys' take on it. :) 
m
l
August 25, 2012 11:22:06 AM

Fudgebar86 said:
N
20% off, which I think is a really nice deal.

What do you guys think?

From tax paid money, there is a cost of approximately half your 'saving' in buying price in unavailable cash + say "10%% of total cash pre-paid.
Sometimes better , to wait , and at build time buy last year's top model at the then discounted price.
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:36:42 PM

psu already 80+gold with 5 year warranty , might be 80+ platinum the standard in 6 mouth's time so i dont see any hassle getting it now.
who knows in 6 mouths time that psu might not be available anymore , had that happen before , seen nice psu, thought might get one of those and when i do cant find them
m
l
!