I'm attempting to create a registry key. What I'm trying to do is specify a
place on the network where MS Office templates are located. I've found the
spot in the registry where that infomation is stored.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\General] The value
name is Templates. I've exported this and made what I think is the right way
to put the network location into the Value data.

Example of the export.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\General]
"MyDocuments"="My Documents"
"Stationery"="Stationery"
"SymbolNameDisplay"=dword:00000000
"Themes"="Themes"
"Desktop"="Desktop"
"Xlstart"="XLSTART"
"RecentFiles"="Recent"
"Templates"="Templates"
"MyPictures"="My Pictures"
"Proof"="Proof"
"Queries"="Queries"
"AddIns"="AddIns"
"Startup"="STARTUP"
"ApplicationData"="Application Data"
"Favorites"="Favorites"
"Signatures"="Signatures"
"Actors"="Actors"
"FirstRun"=dword:00000000
"Authorized"=dword:7fffffff

It's the Templates location I want to point to the network. I can manually
do this with the UNC location of the templates and it works fine. What I'm
trying to do is create a distrituable key insert I guess. But it's not
working. I've read Article ID 310516, that's how this started. What am I
missing?

What is a "distrituable key insert" ?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Monitor51" <Monitor51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| I'm attempting to create a registry key. What I'm trying to do is specify a
| place on the network where MS Office templates are located. I've found the
| spot in the registry where that infomation is stored.
|
| [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\General] The value
| name is Templates. I've exported this and made what I think is the right way
| to put the network location into the Value data.
|
| Example of the export.
|
| Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
|
| [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\General]
| "MyDocuments"="My Documents"
| "Stationery"="Stationery"
| "SymbolNameDisplay"=dword:00000000
| "Themes"="Themes"
| "Desktop"="Desktop"
| "Xlstart"="XLSTART"
| "RecentFiles"="Recent"
| "Templates"="Templates"
| "MyPictures"="My Pictures"
| "Proof"="Proof"
| "Queries"="Queries"
| "AddIns"="AddIns"
| "Startup"="STARTUP"
| "ApplicationData"="Application Data"
| "Favorites"="Favorites"
| "Signatures"="Signatures"
| "Actors"="Actors"
| "FirstRun"=dword:00000000
| "Authorized"=dword:7fffffff
|
| It's the Templates location I want to point to the network. I can manually
| do this with the UNC location of the templates and it works fine. What I'm
| trying to do is create a distrituable key insert I guess. But it's not
| working. I've read Article ID 310516, that's how this started. What am I
| missing?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516
Distributing Registry Changes

has a link to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnw2kmag01/html/distributingregistrychanges.asp

Did you go there?

Not a bad article. I think I had a brain fart yesterday.
What I was doing was exporting the key I wanted to change. Then using
notepad, make the change, save, they try to distribute.

Brilliance, or enough coffee, shined on me this morning. Open regedit, make
the change to the key, then export. The export now has the change I want to
distribute and it works.

Why I couldn't make that leap yesterday I don't know.
Thanks for the responces.

Dave,
What I need to do is make a change to the registry. I need to insert
something and I have to distribute that key to other workstations. I guess I
couldn't put it together in a coherent thought yesterday.