Sign in with
Your question

New PC will not shut down or sleep

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2012 2:43:37 AM

Just got a new PC from CyberPower. Everything works fine when it's on. The problem is I can't turn it off (unless I unplug it, obviously). When I try to shutdown or put it to sleep it's off for a few seconds, then it powers up. I feel like it's a hardware problem, but I'm not incredibly familiar with that sort of thing. Any help is appreciated.

Haf 912
i5 2500k
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Radeon HD 7770
Thermaltake 650w PSU

More about : shut sleep

May 9, 2012 2:47:15 AM

unplug the power switch from the MB and see if it still happens. the switch could be bad, the ohm's could be off and that will cause such an issue. also having PXE boot can allow the nic to boot the system back up when data hits it so turn that off in the bios.
m
l
May 9, 2012 3:26:22 AM

Check windows power options and bios settings. Look for settings that will wake on events such as lan activity.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2012 4:07:49 AM

I'm almost certain it's not a Windows problem. I've checked all of the settings that I think might cause this.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with BIOS settings, and especially not familiar with anything to do with the actual hardware. If you could noobify your suggestions that would be helpful.
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:12:23 AM

go into the bios and under one of the tabs you will see a network boot or PXE boot option, make sure its off. make sure there are no wake up timers set in your bios as well.
there is an option under device manger in windows, under network controller cards and in your network card, under power managment that has a check box to allow the card to take the comp out of sleep. uncheck that.

as for the power button, there will be a series of wires in the lower right hadn side of the mother board. they are your front panel connectors, unplug them while the comp is on and then try putting it to sleep. when you unplug them you will loose your power lights, HDD lights, power and reset switches. make sure you keep one hand on an unpainted part of the case to ground your self. then just plug them back in when you finish the test. if its an OEM box they should be in a single harness and not seperate. if they are seperate then the lettering on them always faces towards the outside of the motherboard.
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:21:51 AM

Autosuggestion said:
I'm almost certain it's not a Windows problem. I've checked all of the settings that I think might cause this.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with BIOS settings, and especially not familiar with anything to do with the actual hardware. If you could noobify your suggestions that would be helpful.

I hope you recieved the motherboard manual with your pc.
In it should be info on how to access the bios and what the settings mean.
Usually repeatedly pressing del or F2 after power on will get you into the bios.
Go through all of the menus to see what is there, but don't change anything without making a note of it so you can get back.
Look for such things as APM which controls what should be done when AC power is lost

The bios can also power on from keyboard, mouse, lan activity etc.
If you are connected to a lan, that might be the cause. If you have a mouse on a surface that moves, it can also trigger a power on sequence.

I think you have a good opportunity to see how good cyberpower support is. Call them.
m
l
May 9, 2012 6:15:36 AM

I tried going through all the BIOS settings that looked like they could be the problem but none of them worked. I unplugged the front panel connectors and that also did nothing. I also must have goofed something putting them back in, because the power light isn't working (although the HDD light and both switches work . . . ).

geofelt said:
I think you have a good opportunity to see how good cyberpower support is. Call them.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here. I hope you aren't. :) 
m
l
May 9, 2012 6:18:45 AM

unplug all your accessories, put the comp to sleep and while its working at sleeping unplug your mouse and keyboard. if it comes back on with those out then its not an interface issue and if all your bios settings are set and your network cable is unplugged then i suppose we are at a software issue...

perhaps your power supply is unable to power it self down? its been 15 years since ive had this happen but older power supplies were unable to cut voltage to the rails and thus computers refused to go to sleep when this new fangled thing called windows was trying to go to bed...
m
l
May 9, 2012 2:39:44 PM

Autosuggestion said:
I tried going through all the BIOS settings that looked like they could be the problem but none of them worked. I unplugged the front panel connectors and that also did nothing. I also must have goofed something putting them back in, because the power light isn't working (although the HDD light and both switches work . . . ).

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here. I hope you aren't. :) 

Not being sarcastic. I am just curious how cyperpower performs in customer support.
I think it is appropriate to contact them since your pc should still be under warranty.

Thermaltake has a mixed reputation for quality.
I suppose there could be a problem with the standby circuitry.
If cyberpower offers a psu replacement, ask for Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, or PC P&C and you will get a good quality unit.
You will only need a 500w unit, but larger is not wrong.
m
l
May 9, 2012 6:52:24 PM

i dislike antecs because they are not flashy enough for me, however i cant knock there quality. ive never had a bad PSU from them.

ive had many bad corsair's and thermaltakes, stay the frak away from logisys PSU's. i use roswill on my large systems and the most ive ever had fail was a PSU fan.

ive never used seasonic, xfx, or even heard of that PC p&c PSU
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:20:59 PM

I called tech support. They had me try everything that was mentioned here. Their next step was to reinstall Windows. I haven't done that yet, though.
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:37:06 PM

get a UBCD for win or install windows to a USB drive, just enough to boot. then try putting it to sleep and see what happens
m
l
!