560ti 448 core + crashes on startup

The system boots up fine when nvidia drivers aren't installed. However, when they are., the computer crashes after the loading screen . This would be driver issues? As I was running a gtx295 previously.

I don't notice any physical damage to the card and it's not showing lights if it wasn't receiving enough power. I've tried the cd drivers and installing latest 500 series drivers, along with re-installing OS.

I'm stumped!
10 answers Last reply
More about 560ti core crashes startup
  1. Tell us your system specs, including Power Supply Unit. When the drivers load, the card goes into different power modes. Things like fan control also kick in. Would make sure heat sink is not loose and making good contact.
  2. that card requires a good 550 to 600 watt power supply, minimum
  3. Should have bought AMD! Sorry I could not help myself
  4. It does sound like a software issue.

Remove any drivers from add/remove, then Google for an NVidia program to cleanup driver removal (forget the name). Then reinstall the latest drivers.

If that doesn't work, try this:
    1) get a spare hard drive
    2) Hook up the spare hard drive, but UNHOOK your current Windows drive
    3) Install Windows to the new drive (don't Activate it)
    4) Install your motherboard main driver, AND your video card driver (don't bother with any other Microsoft Updates etc)
    5) TEST
    6) if your card causes a crash NOW it's either a defective card or a bad/insufficient power supply

other tests:
    memtest ( www.memtest.org ) isn't likely your issue but it's always good to test your RAM.
  5. Specs are :
    Cpu: i7 960
    CPU cooler: v6gt
    Mobo: x58 sabertooth
    Ram: 1600mhz vengeance
    Psu: cp 850w
    Hdd: 120gb ssd & 1tb

I'm going to try older drivers when I get home, any other tests to see if it's defective? Going to even try reinstalling vista or 7 again, to see it it makes a difference and just recovery it later. Never had anything like this :-(
  6. Solved!

This is very weird as I have not had this issue. The GTX 560ti 448 core decided to crash each time when it was installed in the first pci-e slot. However, no dramas once I swapped it over.

The funny thing is, my gtx 295 and 9600gt worked on the first slot? This is why I eliminated it from my first troubleshoot process, I really would not have had any idea why this happens. So if anyone has any ideas, I would be keen to know!

Anyway, just incase anyone had something similar to what was happening.

Thanks for the replies
  7. All possible reasons that I can think of:

1) The first PCI-e slot that your graphics card is in may be slightly defective and work with lower-performing cards but not your higher-end card.

2) The BIOS for the motherboard may be set incorrectly for the ORDER of choosing graphics (I doubt it but I've seen weird things).

3) The motherboard may have an issue that updating the BIOS fixes.

4) It could be a RAM issue ( run Memtest from www.memtest.org for at least one complete test, preferably OVERNIGHT)

5) Again, it may be a SOFTWARE issue. Again, reinstall (don't Activate) Windows to a spare hard drive, unplug your current Windows drive and install the Motherboard main chipset drive, AND the video card driver. That should be all you need.

TESTING:
    1. Memtest (System RAM). CD or USB. Boot order (BIOS) must have this set BEFORE the hard drive.
    2. UNPLUG anything that is unnecessary (some devices can short and cause instabilities).
    3. Prime95 multi-core or another multi-core CPU stress program
    4. Furmark to stress the graphics card, and a 3DMark or similar (Futuremark) program.
  8. weford said:
    Solved!

This is very weird as I have not had this issue. The GTX 560ti 448 core decided to crash each time when it was installed in the first pci-e slot. However, no dramas once I swapped it over.

The funny thing is, my gtx 295 and 9600gt worked on the first slot? This is why I eliminated it from my first troubleshoot process, I really would not have had any idea why this happens. So if anyone has any ideas, I would be keen to know!

Anyway, just incase anyone had something similar to what was happening.

Thanks for the replies

That is weird. I pulled out my GTX 260 and put in my GTX 560ti 448 and it booted right up. They use the same drivers and I'm fairly certain the GTX560 uses slightly less power than the GTX 295
  9. Too late to help you out happy gaming
  10. PHYSX:
    If you're using the GTX260 as a PhysX card, then don't. They tested a whole bunch of cards as PhysX addons and 90% of the time the game ran SLOWER than with just the main card by itself.

For example, you could just run any game with a benchmark to compare, but the ONLY cards that made the game run faster were more than 75% as powerful as the original (any less and the bottlenecks slowed things down).

Also, keep in mind with PhysX that your frame rates drop. I personally don't recommend PhysX anyway if it drops your frame rate below 60FPS (I max out with 60FPS VSYNC'd to teh monitor).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Core Drivers Graphics