Solved

Budget Gaming Build Help!

Hey everybody!

I need some help building a PC and wanted to ask for advice. With such a tight budget, I'm not expecting anything over the top but I would prefer if the system could max out Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Left 4 Dead, Heroes of Newerth and possibly reach high resolution on Battlefield 3.

I would need a case, gpu, mobo, psu, ram, and processor. I'm not sure if I would need any additional fans/coolers/heatsinks as well so any additional input on that would help.

Approximate Purchase Date: Possibly by next week or week after

Budget Range: $400-600. Although the cheaper the better.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies/Music, Surfing Internet (Youtube, blogs, etc)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS, HDD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference.

Parts Preferences: I live near a Microcenter so I would like to keep the processor as either an i5-2400 or i5-2500k since that is what they have. I am open to suggestions though if it will help me budget wise or if it is a better option.

Overclocking: Maybe. It depends on the processor in the build.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

I would like a quiet PC that doesn't get too hot. I am looking for the best bang for the buck performance wise. I am also hoping that the build is somewhat future proof haha

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help that is offered!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget gaming build help
  1. Best answer
    Reverb0209 said:
    Hey everybody!

I need some help building a PC and wanted to ask for advice. With such a tight budget, I'm not expecting anything over the top but I would prefer if the system could max out Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Left 4 Dead, Heroes of Newerth and possibly reach high resolution on Battlefield 3.

I would need a case, gpu, mobo, psu, ram, and processor. I'm not sure if I would need any additional fans/coolers/heatsinks as well so any additional input on that would help.

Approximate Purchase Date: Possibly by next week or week after

Budget Range: $400-600. Although the cheaper the better.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies/Music, Surfing Internet (Youtube, blogs, etc)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS, HDD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference.

Parts Preferences: I live near a Microcenter so I would like to keep the processor as either an i5-2400 or i5-2500k since that is what they have. I am open to suggestions though if it will help me budget wise or if it is a better option.

Overclocking: Maybe. It depends on the processor in the build.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

I would like a quiet PC that doesn't get too hot. I am looking for the best bang for the buck performance wise. I am also hoping that the build is somewhat future proof haha

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help that is offered!
    For this build you could substitute the 2400 for an i3 2120 and reinvest the savings towards a better graphics card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.79 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $566.73
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-09 19:51 EDT-0400)
  2. Using microcenter, I made a cheaper version of this list.
    I5-3750 $189
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388577

Biostar tz77a $99 but you get $50 off with an I5-2500k or 3750k processor in store
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387326

Corsair xmx 8 gigs ram at 1600 MHz $29 after rebate
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347306

HAF 912 $59
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0343331

The other parts are good, although you might be able to get them for slightly less at microcenter. These changes will save you $20 although you could save more if you went with the cheaper 430 case. Microcenter has it at the same price.
  3. Thanks for the quick answers! Apologies for just replying now as I've been away from the computer the past few days.

I will definitely take the build advice into consideration but have decided to hold off for a few more months on my build either for an upcoming sale on the currently priced higher tier parts or for the 660ti to release. Thanks again!
  4. Best answer selected by Reverb0209.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product