Accidentally ran for a while with CPU fan stuck

donjeezy

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Just did my first build, an i3 system for web browsing and watching videos. Somehow I attached the Intel stock cooler in a way that the fan wires were tightly wrapped around the fan and preventing it from moving. In my ignorance, I thought this was just because the CPU wasn't hot yet. I touched the heatsink a few times and it got warm, but not hot at all. Before I noticed the tight wires, I had gone through the initial file copying portion of installing Windows 7.

After removing the wires and rebooting, the fan is spinning and everything seems OK. The air off the heatsink after the fan started spinning wasn't very hot. Am I safe to go with this system?

donjeezy

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

But the fan is working correctly now. Does this tool show the maximum temperature ever recorded or something? I'll still use it to make sure the fan is doing its job, so thank you :).

dont worry, i had the same EXACT situation 3 weeks ago. my cpu temps are fine. the deepest i went into without the cpu fan was flash gaming, and the highest temp was no more than 50c for sure on a hot day.

my load temperatures for light weight gaming went from 4x>36c-ish when i fixed the fan