Speed Factor Between 2.0 Ghz Dual and 2.0 Quad Cores

mreardon23

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Can someone tell me if I upgrade the CPU in my Laptop from a 2.0 Ghz Dual Core to a 2.0 Quad Core, will I see a doubling of speed, or doesn't it work that way?

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Most of the time NO !!
Depends on application to application. Only mutlithreaded software that can use 2 or more cores will benefit from a quad core, for e.g., video encoding. But u will feel that the system is more responsive when juggling multiple loads:)
But first of all, i highly doubt u'll be able to upgrade ur laptops CPU so easily....have u checked if the quad has the same socket and TDP envelop?? It would be really helpful if u could mention the complete details of ur current and planned future processor :)

abhi_reapar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
quad core has 4 cores but dual core cpu has only two cores so dual core cpu just have two cores to process whereas quad core have 4 core for processing a single operation.as a result,dual core cpu are less faster than quad core.upgrading to quad core does not necessarily double the speed of operations but are preety much faster for gaming and office applications

It's a bit complicated to explain, but in general it does not increase the speed / power by 2x. It depends on what you do and how well the program was designed to make use of 4 cores.

The vast majority of games only use 2 cores so having 4 cores does not improve performance. There are very few games that can use 4 cores, but not effectively. For example, I saw a CPU benchmark last year for a game that can actually use 4 cores (I believe it was Mafia II).

Basically the 3rd and 4th cores were de-activated to see how well the game performed. The 3rd core was then activated to see the improvement in performance. Finally the 4th core was activate to measure the increase in performance. When the 3rd core was activated, performance increased by about 25% which is pretty decent. However, activating the 4th core only improved performance by about another 6%.

To reiterate, performance depends on how well the program has been designed to use more than 2 cores; if at all.