WHERE ARE THE 7000 series SILENT CARDS?!

Given the ridiculously low TDP of these cards, where are the silent versions? I would have thought they would be all over it by now. I'm checking Newegg daily! :bounce: Ive been holding off buying another gigabyte 6850 windforce card since the one I have is so quiet (and I could crossfire at a later date if I wanted) but I would go for a silent 7770 instead. (or even a nice silent 7850 :) )

Listen up manufacturers! This cash is burning a hole in my pocket so get on with the silent 7 thousand series cards already...

Many Thanks!!
21 answers Last reply
More about where 7000 series silent cards
  1. Are you saying the AMD 7XXX series is loud?
  2. Its kind of fresh and not all cards have been released yet. 7850/7870 coming out in march 19(?!?!?!?!). So it might be a month(?) till more aftermarket cards start popping out a lot.
  3. tinmann said:
    Are you saying the AMD 7XXX series is loud?

    ^+1 Yeah. The references are actually already quieter than many after market versions of the 6xxx series.
  4. get the msi twin frozr version but it might cost you little more than reference
  5. Can't say if the current cards are loud or not, I haven't heard any. given the low wattage I would expect them to be quiet, but What i'm hoping for is silent...ie.; fanless.
  6. marcopolo112000 said:
    Can't say if the current cards are loud or not, I haven't heard any. given the low wattage I would expect them to be quiet, but What i'm hoping for is silent...ie.; fanless.


    The fanless models are only on the really low end cards.
  7. marcopolo112000 said:
    Can't say if the current cards are loud or not, I haven't heard any. given the low wattage I would expect them to be quiet, but What i'm hoping for is silent...ie.; fanless.



    That doesn't make sense... They are already way quieter than your card and why would you ever want NO fan? you can always turn the fan down of pull the shroud but your going to have to have a fan somewhere anyway.
  8. bystander said:
    The fanless models are only on the really low end cards.


    Not necessarily true. I have a passively cooled nVidia 9600 GT which was considered a mainstream / mid-range graphics card back when it was new.

    There was also a passively cooled Radeon HD 4850.
    http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/review-of-gigabyte-hd-4850-silentcell-1gb-pci-express-gv-r485sl-1gi-graphics-card/?p=1771

    It generally takes a while for passively cooled versions of video card to be released. i think I read somewhere that AMD has a staggered phase in program. The phase 1 is simply the reference design when the card is released. Phase 2 is around 2 or 3 months after phase 1 where slightly modified cooling is used. Phase 3 is another 2 or 3 months after phase 2 where highly customized cooling cards are released; this is the category where fanless falls into.

    So basically, to get a fanless Radeon HD 7770 you will need to wait between 4 - 6 months from now.
  9. jaguarskx said:
    Not necessarily true. I have a passively cooled nVidia 9600 GT which was considered a mainstream / mid-range graphics card back when it was new.

    There was also a passively cooled Radeon HD 4850.
    http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/review-of-gigabyte-hd-4850-silentcell-1gb-pci-express-gv-r485sl-1gi-graphics-card/?p=1771

    It generally takes a while for passively cooled versions of video card to be released. i think I read somewhere that AMD has a staggered phase in program. The phase 1 is simply the reference design when the card is released. Phase 2 is around 2 or 3 months after phase 1 where slightly modified cooling is used. Phase 3 is another 2 or 3 months after phase 2 where highly customized cooling cards are released; this is the category where fanless falls into.

    So basically, to get a fanless Radeon HD 7770 you will need to wait between 4 - 6 months from now.


    It was very common in the past on mid ranged cards, and even on high end cards at one point. However, today, that just isn't the case. Yeah, that 4850 is kind of an exception, but look at the size of that heat sink.
  10. HIS Iceqx coolers are very very quiet or Msi twinfrozr iii if you want the best mix of performance/noise 7xxx series :)
  11. bystander said:
    Yeah, that 4850 is kind of an exception, but look at the size of that heat sink.



    Actually the heatsink on my nVidia 9600GT is a bit bigger. It came with an Arctic Cooler S2 which expands the entire length of the card and extends around a inch or more beyond the height of the card.
  12. http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4133#ov
    get this one~default oc to 1100Mhz and 10cm large silent fan~
  13. unksol said:
    That doesn't make sense... They are already way quieter than your card and why would you ever want NO fan? you can always turn the fan down of pull the shroud but your going to have to have a fan somewhere anyway.



    lol, I didn't say I wanted a quieter card, I said I wanted a SILENT card. Maybe you thought this was the "where are the quieter 7000 series cards" string? :sarcastic:

    My case is a CM Storm, and my Asus 9600GT ran flawlessly without any "twist tying" of fans to it.

    The reason you don't see high end silent cards is the TDP...bring in the 7000 series and we should be able to see silent cards that perform like the 6950 or better.
  14. marcopolo112000 said:
    we should be able to see silent cards that perform like the 6950 or better.

    Yeah... yes we will but its just too early.
  15. ^^^

    Yep. Now it's just a question of when it will be released.
  16. it's already released called water cooling xD
  17. txitxo said:



    yup. That would be perfect for my htpc except I want to be able to play skyrim, so have to wait for the 7770 or 7850. Good to see the first 7750 out though, that should mean the higher end cards won't be far behind.
  18. marcopolo112000 said:
    yup. That would be perfect for my htpc except I want to be able to play skyrim, so have to wait for the 7770 or 7850. Good to see the first 7750 out though, that should mean the higher end cards won't be far behind.


    Hope you are right, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe the 7770, but there haven't been high end passive gpus for a while now. I hope I'm mistaken :D
  19. borden5 said:
    it's already released called water cooling xD


    I disgress, normally the pumps are not that quiet. I'd argue it'd be easier to make a silent system with fans, but pumps are inarguably noisier compared to completely passive systems. No moving parts -> no noise. Perfomance... that's a completely different story.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics