Multiple Questions

I have multiple issues I want to try to take care of in one posting, but
we'll see what happens :)

First, when my computer boots up, the blue(pre-logon) XP screen comes up and
it says "Windows is starting up.." and it just hangs. I figured out that if
I hit alt-tab, this will take me to the classic login screen where it gives
me an error message saying "Windows could not log you on..." I hit OK after
the error message and it takes me to the user selection screen. "Dub" is the
only icon on there and I click on it and Windows loads fine. This all
happened after I changed the login options so you didn't have to type in a
password to logon. I would like it to boot straight to windows in the long
run, but it doesn't seem like that that's possible.

Problem #2:
When I go to shutdown or restart my CPU via XP start menu, I have to do the
action twice. I'm not certain but I do believe that a program is being
terminated the first time, and windows just glitches, making me do it a
second time, but like i said, I'm not sure.

Can anyon help me with these issues please?

Brandon
1 answer Last reply
More about multiple questions

    "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | I have multiple issues I want to try to take care of in one posting, but
    | we'll see what happens :)
    |
    | First, when my computer boots up, the blue(pre-logon) XP screen comes up and
    | it says "Windows is starting up.." and it just hangs. I figured out that if
    | I hit alt-tab, this will take me to the classic login screen where it gives
    | me an error message saying "Windows could not log you on..." I hit OK after
    | the error message and it takes me to the user selection screen. "Dub" is the
    | only icon on there and I click on it and Windows loads fine. This all
    | happened after I changed the login options so you didn't have to type in a
    | password to logon. I would like it to boot straight to windows in the long
    | run, but it doesn't seem like that that's possible.
    |
    | Problem #2:
    | When I go to shutdown or restart my CPU via XP start menu, I have to do the
    | action twice. I'm not certain but I do believe that a program is being
    | terminated the first time, and windows just glitches, making me do it a
    | second time, but like i said, I'm not sure.
    |
    | Can anyon help me with these issues please?
    |
    | Brandon

    1. If there were nothing wrong with your PC,
    then to boot directly to the Desktop,

    TweakUI for XP
    Logon
    AutoLogon
    [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    [Set Password] (if requird)

    If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

    -OR-

    If not joined to a domain:
    Start
    Run
    control userpasswords2
    Enter
    Users
    [ ] "Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer"
    Enter

    In the "Automatically Log On" dialog box,
    type the user name and password for the account
    to be logged on each time the computer starts.

    2. http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING
    [by James A. Eshelman, MS-MVP]

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029
    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in XP

Configuration Windows XP