Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Worth it?

Last response: in Components
August 25, 2012 3:46:29 PM

Is it worth it to replace my onboard soundcard ( Realtek ALC887 ) with the XONAR DG 5.1?
im looking for some awesome'ish 3D surround sound card for my razer orca :D 
( free candy for the best answer* )

*terms and condition apply

More about : worth

Best solution

August 25, 2012 7:13:28 PM

I don't think that a sound card will make a difference with a headset like it would with a set of speakers. My motherboard has a Creative X-FY chip on it for thx and dolby digital sound. I also have the Bose speaker system that connects to the Pc by usb so it gives me two different sound options. In my headset I notice no difference between the two.
August 25, 2012 7:20:47 PM

The Realtek ALC 887 is HD 7.1 channels. So you would be downgrading to 5.1 channels with the Xonar sound card?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 25, 2012 7:23:56 PM

Hmmmm , what kind of candy?
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:35:52 PM

inzone said:
The Realtek ALC 887 is HD 7.1 channels. So you would be downgrading to 5.1 channels with the Xonar sound card?

why must the world be so complicated?
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:36:33 PM

inzone said:
Hmmmm , what kind of candy?

digital candy, heheh..
m
l
August 25, 2012 8:29:40 PM

Todays motherboards are not like the old ones that needed a sound card to get sound , these MB'S today have high definition sound chips intergrated right on the board. The highend boards even have highend chips on the board like the Gigabyte G1 Assassin I have has the Creative Labs Soundblaster X-FI.
m
l
August 26, 2012 2:39:01 AM

Best answer selected by BlackKbero.
m
l
August 26, 2012 2:50:33 AM

inzone said:
these MB'S today have high definition sound chips intergrated right on the board.

But it is much more difficult to to design noise/crosstalk-free on-board audio on a motherboard where the HDA chip is surrounded by high-power traces and tons of digital signals spanning multiple PCB layers than it is to do the same on a dedicated audio card where the ADC/DAC has its own dedicated PCB island with only the solid analog ground and power planes buried under it.

Lots of motherboards have significant noise/crosstalk issues on their analog outputs, often reported as hearing noise while moving the mouse or while HDDs or other intermittently active devices are used/accessed. This type of problem is not as bad as it used to be with AC97 but it still exists.
m
l
!