Building a Computer Soon, and got some questions

eljosh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Hey guys within the next couple weeks, and I'm not sure about the fan placement and what kind of air flow, and about fans and fan brands.
My current specs I want to get is:
Intel 17 3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
EVGA Superclocked GTX 580
Crucial Ballistix Tactical (4x4gb) 16gb total
In the NZXT Switch 810
CPU cooler is the Corsair H100
And maybe 2 120mm and 2 140mm Antec TRUEQUIET
I'm not completely sure about the RAM, and the fans.
And how to configure the H100.
Also which way is better to mount the PSU up or down?
Any suggestions on how to set up the fans, or on the compounds are welcome.
But I was thinking of setting up the fans like this, in the case there is a place in the top for two 140mm and I was going to attach the two 120mm to the H100 and then attach the H100 to the case under the 140mms. But so pushing air up and out thru rad, and in thru the back and front would be best. And yea, my case is going on my desk off the floor. Are the Antec Truquiet good fans?

Oh yea, I already got my hard drives, OS, optical drives, and PSU. Will an 800watt PSU be enough to power all of that? I'm pretty sure it is.

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR3-1600 8GB kit (2x4GB)

Fan placement:

Front: In
Side: In
Rear: Out
Top: Out
Botom: In

PSU: if the case had a cutout under the PSU placement to drawn it's own fresh air in from the bottom, then that way. Else pulling air out of the case, out the PSU.

Make sure there is enough room in that case for the radiator. I'd just get the H80 or H90, to the rear fan placement as a push/pull.

Sorry, I don't know that case, and didn't look it up

eljosh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
OK, cool thanks. Yea, the case has alot of room, and the top vent can pop out and has a place built in for a radiator.
But will the Cosair Vengance better than the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer? since the Cosair is 1600 and the Crucial is a 1866.
Also which would be a better choice for a video card, the 580 or a 7870? I read that it has some similar performance, but the 7870 is a good bit cheaper.
I play normal games, like skyrim, witcher 2, mass effect, starcraft and such. I also do some video editing.

kelly627

Honorable
May 9, 2012
CAUTION....most NZXT cases i have worked with dont work with 3rd party fans for some reason the thermaltek 240s wouldnt fit in my nzxt case or my 140s i had to buy them directly for nzxt

There is not much, if any noticeable difference in RAM speed over 1600. DDR3-1600 has been found to be the "sweet-spot" for Sandy Bridge CPUs, I feel the same is true for Ivy Bridge CPU.

So it's really about cost, get the RAM with the lowest CAS/CL timings around 1600 MHz.

Corsair Vengance's CAS/CL are 9.

If the Crucial's are 8 or 9, then go for it.

But they might be CAS/CL 10, because of the higher speed setting. So you see, they slow it down to make if faster.

And if you do video editting, go for 16GB (4x4GB sticks). Two 8GB kits, or 1 16GB kit.

Only based on the lastest Video Teaser, I'd go with a Radeon HD 7870. More cost effective than the NVidia 580.

P.S. The case does have PSU intake holes, so mount it fan side down. It'll pull outside air in, and exhaust it out the back of the case.

eljosh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Yea, I saw that teaser video too, and I was like whoa, so gotta check this out. Does anyone know how good the current drivers are for the 7870? Because I've been reading that the drivers for them can be a pain.

eljosh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Haha, Zephids I was moving from the dark side to go to Nvidia, I got an 4870 now. And I was going to get the 580 or 7870 over the 680 or 7970, because they cost so much more.

eljosh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007