Sign in with
Your question

Random Restarts no explanation!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2012 5:16:06 PM

Hello Tom's Hardware!

Firstly and advice of thoughts just drop them down below because this problem is getting more and more annoying because of what I need my computer for (video editing) so the problem is random restarts - the pc just shuts off no BSOD no error message just shut off and screen goes black. About 5 seconds later the PC will reboot and will say the system did not shut down correctly blah blah blah. Other than that when I boot into windows I don't get any errors like nothing happened. It's odd because it often happens when I'm watching YouTube videos (however that pretty much all I do so it's hard to tell if thats a reason for the problem) but when I'm rendering or running P95 it does not shut down works perfectly, therefore that must rule out heat as the problem, correct?

I'm really at a crossroads here because I don't have a clue. It's weird that it does it under low load conditions as well...

Specs

i7 2600k (no overclock)
AsRock Gen 3 Extreme 3
Noctua NHD14
8GB RipG Mem 1600mhz
GTX 570
Corsair HX 750w

I hope somebody can give me some help!

Thanks for reading! I hope I can get a little help with my issue :) 

Cain!

More about : random restarts explanation

a c 129 à CPUs
August 25, 2012 5:37:15 PM

Okay, here's the first thing I would do here. Check all connections to the mobo, ensure they are firmly seated. Check all wires going into connections to be sure none are loose.
Also, when the system restarts and gives the "system did not shut down..." message, is the reason power surge? Bad address at XXX0000 or is it various reasons without repetition?
August 25, 2012 5:43:33 PM

C12Friedman said:
Okay, here's the first thing I would do here. Check all connections to the mobo, ensure they are firmly seated. Check all wires going into connections to be sure none are loose.
Also, when the system restarts and gives the "system did not shut down..." message, is the reason power surge? Bad address at XXX0000 or is it various reasons without repetition?

No it gives no error its the just the message that you get for example if you hold your finger on the power button, windows did not successfully shut down press enter to start windows as normal. Well I'm changing out the fans real soon so when I do I will redo all the connections. Any idea why it only happens sometimes though? Bad PSU? Corsair good brand.
Related resources
a c 129 à CPUs
August 25, 2012 6:24:28 PM

Corsair is a reputable brand but it could be a bad PSU - sometimes it happens. I have heard of their connections being loose from the factory (not that they are alone in any way there) which is why I suggested checking those. If it's a loose connection, there may be little to no obvious reason for it to lose connection, it'll just do it. One of those weird things.
August 25, 2012 9:16:01 PM

C12Friedman said:
Corsair is a reputable brand but it could be a bad PSU - sometimes it happens. I have heard of their connections being loose from the factory (not that they are alone in any way there) which is why I suggested checking those. If it's a loose connection, there may be little to no obvious reason for it to lose connection, it'll just do it. One of those weird things.

You want me to open the PSU... Is that a clever idea lol? I don't mind doing everything else but opening the PSU seems a little risky no? is there anything I can rule out at this point? Such a CPU?
August 25, 2012 9:36:14 PM

I had a similar problem, my pc turned off when I was watching yt videos. The problem was that my heat sync was covered in dust, and my cpu kept overheating and forcing the pc to turn off. There was no bsod. It could be the same for you.
a c 129 à CPUs
August 26, 2012 12:10:12 AM

majorgibly said:
You want me to open the PSU... Is that a clever idea lol? I don't mind doing everything else but opening the PSU seems a little risky no? is there anything I can rule out at this point? Such a CPU?

No, if the inner workings are messed up, there's nothing you should do outside of RMA, opening it will void the warranty, I meant the connectors that plug into your motherboard and other parts to ensure the wires are seated in the connectors properly.
August 26, 2012 12:26:03 AM

C12Friedman said:
No, if the inner workings are messed up, there's nothing you should do outside of RMA, opening it will void the warranty, I meant the connectors that plug into your motherboard and other parts to ensure the wires are seated in the connectors properly.

Okay I will check that. You would think if it was a connection it would happen all the time. I will have a look next weekend :)  I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the help mate!
August 26, 2012 12:29:36 AM

Had a similar issue. It maybe the bios needs to be updated. That fixed my random rebooting problems. I had tried everything before as well. Changing heatsink, PSU, ran just about every stress test for GPU and CPU and all I needed was to update the BIOS driver for the motherboard.
August 26, 2012 12:31:24 AM

Cheeba Hawk said:
Had a similar issue. It maybe the bios needs to be updated. That fixed my random rebooting problems. I had tried everything before as well. Changing heatsink, PSU, ran just about every stress test for GPU and CPU and all I needed was to update the BIOS driver for the motherboard.

I'm scared to do that lol. I have heard of horror stories lol
August 26, 2012 12:32:19 AM

Updating the BIOS is easy. Just need a USB drive or a blank CD. Download the driver from the maker of your MB. And if your not sure how to update it just youtube it. That's what I did. Easy.
August 26, 2012 12:40:45 AM

Cheeba Hawk said:
Updating the BIOS is easy. Just need a USB drive or a blank CD. Download the driver from the maker of your MB. And if your not sure how to update it just youtube it. That's what I did. Easy.

If it goes wrong you are up *** creek without a paddle. I would rather have the restarts lol
August 26, 2012 7:34:11 AM

Why you scared to update the BIOS? haha. What horror stories have you heard. Its just like updating any other software. Yeah, when updating its gonna do some weird *** like restart 5 times back to back haha.
a c 129 à CPUs
August 26, 2012 7:43:01 AM

Cheeba Hawk said:
Why you scared to update the BIOS? haha. What horror stories have you heard. Its just like updating any other software. Yeah, when updating its gonna do some weird *** like restart 5 times back to back haha.

Not quite accurate, there is the very real possibility of killing your BIOS and motherboard with it if it does not take fully. That is a risk which should not be taken lightly even if you accidentally did it right once. Will you be the one laughing when you brick your BIOS?
August 27, 2012 1:40:49 PM

C12Friedman said:
Not quite accurate, there is the very real possibility of killing your BIOS and motherboard with it if it does not take fully. That is a risk which should not be taken lightly even if you accidentally did it right once. Will you be the one laughing when you brick your BIOS?

I think I would rather take the random restarts if it is my BIOS version, but lets check the connectors first.
!