Closed Solved

Removable BIOS chips

:hello:

I was wondering if i swapped my BIOS chip with another, would it do any good, like 2 AM2 boards, one has the ability to OC and the current has a custom HP BIOS so i can't OC, if that makes sense.

(Just putting down random words trying to make sense:D)

And by removable chips of BIOS i mean these-

Which fit into these -
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about removable bios chips
  1. It will work only if the motherboards are almost identical (same chipset, Ethernet controller, sound chip, same I/O ports, etc.)
  2. I think before doing something like that you should call the tech support of the motherboards to make sure that it will work.
  3. And you have found a source for the chip with the exact right BIOS pre-loaded for your MB? Keep in mind, that you can not load the BIOS to an empty chip in your MB!
  4. Wasn't going to do it, just wondering.

Also wandering putting a chip from a Intel board in to a AMD one.
  5. noidea_77 said:
    Keep in mind, that you can not load the BIOS to an empty chip in your MB!

But it might be possible to hot-swap from a working board with working BIOS... boot with original chip, swap, flash. This was a relatively popular unbrick trick ~10 years ago for people who had access to identical spare boards.
  6. I do remember having an isue with a board a long time ago and the board company sending me a bios chip in the mail so I could replace it. I don't know if they still do that or if bios chips are soldered onto the MB.
  7. inzone said:
    I don't know if they still do that or if bios chips are slodered onto the MB.

I don't remember noticing a socketed BIOS chip in years, likely due to most manufacturers featuring dual-boot BIOS or bootstrapped BIOS to avoid bricking RMAs.
  8. Best answer
    Even if the hotswap works - and I don't believe it will - you need a flash program, that doesn't check the previous version and a full version of the BIOS. You may have recognized via a normal BIOS update, that only parts of the old one are overwritten by the new one.
  9. Hi :)

It wont work...you CANNOT go amd board to intel and the chip wont work anyway....

All the best Brett :)
  10. Best answer selected by jay_nar2012.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Cougar BIOS Chip Hewlett Packard Components