Sign in with
Your question

HELP! smoke came out of my 4-pin fan header

Last response: in Components
August 25, 2012 7:44:06 PM

Hey guys, Im a noobie and I found a 4pin floppy connector on my PSU, I thought it was supposed to be used as a 4-pin fan connector so I plugged it into my computer. I instanly saw the smoke so i pulled out the connector. My computer is still working fine but I dont know what else happened, also i tried pluggin in a fan and it didnt work. Plz tell me what happend and if anything else broke

Thanks in advance

More about : smoke pin fan header

August 25, 2012 8:03:53 PM

My specs
Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Corsair CX600V2 PSU
Seagate 500GB HDD 7200rpm
8GB Gskill DDr3 1333mhz
Coolermaster HAF 912
No GPU, but just ordered MSI Geforce GTX 660 ti PE/OC
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 8:06:47 PM

I think you fried your fan's voltage regulator.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 8:21:37 PM

whats that? everything works in my computer except that 4-pin fan header. I just wanted to make sure that nothing else got fried. My usb 2.0 header wasnt working but then i just plugged it in and out and it worked. So do you thing anything else fried other than the 4 pin fan header? If its just the 4 pin fan header i wont really give a ***:D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 8:33:21 PM

battoot said:
So do you thing anything else fried other than the 4 pin fan header?

If anything more important fried, the computer would likely be non-bootable.
m
l
August 25, 2012 8:47:36 PM

Im just scared I fried my Pci-ex16 slot on my mobo which is highly unlikely. Waiting for my 660 ti to test it out
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 8:53:23 PM

battoot said:
Im just scared I fried my Pci-ex16 slot on my mobo which is highly unlikely. Waiting for my 660 ti to test it out

If some of the PCIe lanes are damaged and all happen to be on the same half of the interface, there is also a chance that it might simply fall back to x8 mode on the remaining good half.
m
l
August 25, 2012 8:56:30 PM

InvalidError said:
If some of the PCIe lanes are damaged and all happen to be on the same half of the interface, there is also a chance that it might simply fall back to x8 mode on the remaining good half.

Do you think that frying a 4 pin fan header will also fry my pci-e ports which had nothing in them, plz reassure me.
Sorry for all these questions but im a big noob
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:09:46 PM

Voltage regulators control the voltage of something, like if your CPU is cool, the thermal sensor will use a voltage regulator to control voltage going to the fans to make them rev up or down.

If the regulator is fried then no power would go to the pins as the connector's circuit is broken.

I doubt anything happened to the PCI slots, CPU and case fans are controlled by VRs and they are controlled by the thermal sensors in the CPU and motherboard.

GPU fans are controlled seperately from the other fans in the system, i think ,i can't be too sure other wise the CPU fan would rev up when the GPU is under load.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:10:03 PM

battoot said:
Do you think that frying a 4 pin fan header will also fry my pci-e ports which had nothing in them, plz reassure me.

While unlikely, it isn't impossible unless you can X-ray the board to verify that whatever got damaged is nowhere near PCIe lanes.
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:14:05 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Voltage regulators control the voltage of something, like if your CPU is cool, the thermal sensor will use a voltage regulator to control voltage going to the fans to make them rev up or down.

If the regulator is fried then no power would go to the pins as the connector's circuit is broken.

I doubt anything happened to the PCI slots, CPU and case fans are controlled by VRs and they are controlled by the thermal sensors in the CPU and motherboard.

GPU fans are controlled seperately from the other fans in the system, i think ,i can't be too sure other wise the CPU fan would rev up when the GPU is under load.

So is there a way to make sure that the voltage regulator is fried?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:15:16 PM

jay_nar2012 said:

The 4-pin fan header uses a PWM output (4th pin) to control fan speed instead of voltage. The PWM duty cycle is modulated based on temperature and thermal profile.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:15:16 PM

Look at my last question.

m
l
August 25, 2012 9:20:52 PM

I tried setting my CPU fan to auto and it was ramping up the rpms as my temp increased. I also plugged in my exhaust fan to the motherboard and it was ramping up correctly too. Does that mean that my voltage regulator is still working. Oh and just so you guys know the 4 pin header that i fried was a Chassis fan header for my intake on the bottom of my board. My intake was my only fan in the system that was running on auto ramping up in needed situations. I guess now i have to resort to Molex and run it at full speed all the time
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:31:54 PM

Look in the area for burning marks, look underneath the board around the area aswell, if you find a burn mark then take a pic and post it.

You could of burnt out a fuse, can't be sure, PWM uses frequency instead of voltage.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 9:32:24 PM

battoot said:
I guess now i have to resort to Molex and run it at full speed all the time

Or get an aftermarket fan controller.
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:37:59 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Look in the area for burning marks, look underneath the board around the area aswell, if you find a burn mark then take a pic and post it.

You could of burnt out a fuse, can't be sure, PWM uses frequency instead of voltage.

All my other fans work. and my CPU PWM works too. Im looking right now for burn marks
m
l
August 25, 2012 10:13:16 PM

No burn marks
m
l
August 26, 2012 10:41:49 AM

I fried the sh*t out of a video card once in my pci-e slot but everything is fine to this day besides the fried card.
m
l
!