Sign in with
Your question

Don't waste your money on the NEW 7000 series AMD cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2012 5:19:38 AM

I know the header is provocative , but i just wanted to remind all of you my fellow gamers , that this generation of cards will be even less usefull than the last ( 6000 series ) ....

Today mass effect 3 drops ...but the one thing it won't be dropping are your frame rates , because it was desgined for gaming systems that are now almost 7 years old ...

Skryim which is another major player in the PC market was also desgined for systems over 7 years old ...

the next xbox, the 760 ? or as some call it the nextbox , will NOT even have a GPU to rival the 6850 ....

i get on IGN and gamespot just about every other day , checking , hoping for some really hot upcoming releases , but as far as i can tell there's really nothing in the piple line other than MMOG's ...

So before all of you run out and drop 300 dollars for brand new GPU's make sure to ask yourself if it's worth it for the maybe ONE pc capable game that will drop once a year ..
a c 75 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:35:19 AM

will you put the same headline when kepler cards come out?
people will buy what they want to buy regardless of opinions available to them.
yes, a lot of the games available today are console ports, poor ones at that. but some people will always demand performance from their hardware. $300+ market is aimed at them, not the average people who buy prebuilt pc, tablets, smartphones just to use internet, make calls and play facebook games.
a c 355 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:43:41 AM

You need to realize that games produced for the Xbox 360 is limited to 1280x720 resolution, then stretched to fill a 1920x1080 HDTV. Lots of effects are excluded or have limited settings like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Console games also use lower resolution textures which is why people say console graphics looks muddied compared to graphics on a PC. That also leaves out any DX11 effects if it is part of the game.

Related resources
March 6, 2012 5:43:48 AM

de5_Roy said:
will you put the same headline when kepler cards come out?
people will buy what they want to buy regardless of opinions available to them.
yes, a lot of the games available today are console ports, poor ones at that. but some people will always demand performance from their hardware. $300+ market is aimed at them, not the average people who buy prebuilt pc, tablets, smartphones just to use internet, make calls and play facebook games.

and what good will kepler cards be without games to play them on ? shall we all rush out and buy 500 dollar cards to play mine craft ?

or has gaming gotten to the point of cars where we are simply comparing different series of cards against each other like BMW series ....

"hey do you have the new kepler S class ? it's AWSOME !! it's 5 % faster than the M class and costs 500 dollars more too !!! in theortical performance gaming , if a game did exist that would use it , it would CRUSH the competition ..."

i think PC gaming is on the decline here , and i feel obligated to wake people up to that fact .... why waste money on a dying art when it could be better spent elsewhere ...
March 6, 2012 5:51:23 AM

It's why I haven't gotten a new video card in 3 years.

My HD 4770 is still excessive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-...

Quote:
Put it another way: Intel’s HD Graphics 3000 with 114M transistors is now providing about the same level of performance as the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles, and you pretty much get that “free” with any non-Atom CPU going forward. Maybe the next consoles won’t even need to use anything beyond AMD/Intel’s current integrated solutions?
March 6, 2012 5:51:29 AM

marquis said:
and what good will kepler cards be without games to play them on ? shall we all rush out and buy 500 dollar cards to play mine craft ?

or has gaming gotten to the point of cars where we are simply comparing different series of cards against each other like BMW series ....

"hey do you have the new kepler S class ? it's AWSOME !! it's 5 % faster than the M class and costs 500 dollars more too !!! in theortical performance gaming , if a game did exist that would use it , it would CRUSH the competition ..."

i think PC gaming is on the decline here , and i feel obligated to wake people up to that fact .... why waste money on a dying art when it could be better spent elsewhere ...

Why do u feel so obligated to tell us this? As I'm pretty sure everyone has their own opinions on new tech and if it's worth it or not. They don't need others help to decide unless they ask for it.
March 6, 2012 6:01:48 AM

austinwillie_95 said:
Why do u feel so obligated to tell us this? As I'm pretty sure everyone has their own opinions on new tech and if it's worth it or not. They don't need others help to decide unless they ask for it.

well after reading about all the HYPE about this NEXT GENERATION of graphics cards , i can't for the life of me understand why people are so EXCITIED by all of this ????????

what exactly are they going to use these next gen cards for ? is there some big secret lineup of upcoming PC games in development that i don't know about ?

it's like AMDfan girl said , the onboard graphics on the sandy bridges chips are easily enough to stand in for the XBOX 360 ... heck my two year old AMD mother boards graphics are comparable to a 360 ... and the only reason i'm comparing so much to the 360 is that all of the games nowadays are low quality ports ..

maybe i just want to let AMD and Nivida know that this generation , i won't be strung along ... i'm not going to drop 300 or 500 dollars just so i can tell people i've got the "fastest card" i'm going to need actual games that can take advantage of a gaphics card before i ever feel the need to upgrade ..
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:03:44 AM

Congratulations on creating a thread for fanboys and arguements to spawn.
March 6, 2012 6:08:19 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
Congratulations on creating a thread for fanboys and arguements to spawn.

this issue SHOULD be debated ... in all honesty i'd like to be proven wrong ... i'd like for there to be worth while PC games coming out that would justify my investment in a new generation of GPU's ....

but i don't think there are any in the pipe line ... and maybe it's time for the scales to fall from the fan boys eyes ... i used to be somewhat of a fan boy myself ..
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:17:12 AM

I can run any xbox ported game at 60fps locked maxxed at true 1920x1080 and never have slowdown.
Its a matter of if that is important to you or not its up to the consumer to decide not some endless debate that always ends ugly. Consoles make gaming accessible to the masses and in turn as they get older they tend to keep gaming behind.
As.i said great way to start arguments and fanboy wars with the endless debate on console vs.pc or about not wanting to upgrade. If someone was looking for a new build and.was on a budget i would totally recommend the 7750. Does that mean Im a fanboy or a console hater? No.
It means Im willing to help someone in their specific situation which varys from person to person so you see debating about a variable means nothing.
March 6, 2012 6:26:32 AM

Well if there was enough reason to increase graphical performance, AMD would have done so. In reality it is a catch-22. PC gamers with HD 4770 level graphics, sadly are the minority. The more consoles there are, the more console gamers there are. Not needing to upgrade often fuels that. PC gaming does offer questionable benfits nowdays.

Without our slow progressment in PC games, would AMD have honestly decided to make this shrink about power consumption?

When I still played video games, I was pretty happy with 1080p res and high res textures. Good enough quality. The might please me but not others. It's the others that are going to buy the HD 7xxx series. I guess some people just need their 16x AA.

A few year from now when everyone has a quad-core smartphone and a powerful GPU, we PC gamers will probably have to fear the phone port more than the console port. All supply and demand. iPhone 4S and etc. aren't that far off the major consoles, and unlike consoles, almost everyone will have an iPhone/Android device, soon enough.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:37:22 AM

Disagree but w/e.
I dont ever think the mobile gaming platform will be taking over to.where we are getting ports to pc from them.
Ad far as aa... 16x is overkill. 4x at 1920x1080 is enough
16x af on the other hand sounds more like it
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 7:34:32 AM

Get over it, marquis. Apparently the newer 7000 cards are more power efficient than earlier video cards at similar frame rates, etc. Maybe AMD can manufacture these cards cheaper. And have you ever heard of marketing? Mfgrs. always want to promote the latest and greatest. The first Ford F series pickup was introduced in 1948 and after 12 generations of models are still going strong. Where would you be if you were still using a 1948 Ford pickup compared to a much newer model? Same with video cards, you still want to use a first generation AMD card?
As for fanboys, I'm a devout Nvidia fanboy. You know why? Because I don't have to screw with the drivers every freakin' week! I d/led the latest Nvidia drivers a week or 2 ago and although made for newer cards in the 500 series, they still work on a pair of GT 8600 Nvidia cards from years past and on my current 460 cards. I didn't move up to a 500 series card because I don't need to, 460's work just fine for me. But if I'm a new buyer I'd want the latest and greatest for my computer.
I still recommend AMD cards where price is an object but it's not likely I'll buy one for myself.
Ya' can't stand in the way of progress, marquis.
March 6, 2012 7:47:19 AM

I play SWTOR and I would like to play it at 1920x1080 high settings but my card (HD4870) struggles at those settings. I had to turn some settings to low to get a smooth game play (FPS). I like what I see on the new HD7850 card and I will buy one when it’s available.

I’ll be keeping an eye on your post when the new nVidia cards come out to see if you’re not bias about AMD.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are more games that support DX11 today and there will be more later. DX11 games are fairly new and you can't play those games with it enabled on olders cards. Lots of peeps like me that visit this site welcomes new technology when they become available but not necessarily going to buy them.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I don't like it when it is imposed on others.
March 6, 2012 7:57:05 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Get over it, marquis. Apparently the newer 7000 cards are more power efficient than earlier video cards at similar frame rates, etc. Maybe AMD can manufacture these cards cheaper. And have you ever heard of marketing? Mfgrs. always want to promote the latest and greatest. The first Ford F series pickup was introduced in 1948 and after 12 generations of models are still going strong. Where would you be if you were still using a 1948 Ford pickup compared to a much newer model? Same with video cards, you still want to use a first generation AMD card?
As for fanboys, I'm a devout Nvidia fanboy. You know why? Because I don't have to screw with the drivers every freakin' week! I d/led the latest Nvidia drivers a week or 2 ago and although made for newer cards in the 500 series, they still work on a pair of GT 8600 Nvidia cards from years past and on my current 460 cards. I didn't move up to a 500 series card because I don't need to, 460's work just fine for me. But if I'm a new buyer I'd want the latest and greatest for my computer.
I still recommend AMD cards where price is an object but it's not likely I'll buy one for myself.
Ya' can't stand in the way of progress, marquis.

I buy the latest tech when I make a new build or when I do decide to upgrade so I don't have to upgrade as often. Wierd concept but works for me.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 10:59:03 AM

Just to add my ten cents worth....
Us PC gamers can play in true 1080p and far beyond which is why we require so much more power. Two and three monitor setups are becoming much more common running in outrageous resolutions. I bought my HD5970 nearly 3 years ago and there is still nothing I can't max out although I usually only run 1680x1050, unless running FSX with a second monitor. I say if you want the power go for it!
March 6, 2012 4:15:34 PM

Quote:
Pointless speech?
I will be buying my 2nd 480 this week, not because i have been spoon fed but because i can make my own decisions and have independance.
Telling people to not buy something is idiotic as others have different needs.
I need a 2nd 480 because certain games need more than 60fps to be on top of my game.

really , which games ?
March 6, 2012 4:21:25 PM

punnar said:
I play SWTOR and I would like to play it at 1920x1080 high settings but my card (HD4870) struggles at those settings. I had to turn some settings to low to get a smooth game play (FPS). I like what I see on the new HD7850 card and I will buy one when it’s available.

I’ll be keeping an eye on your post when the new nVidia cards come out to see if you’re not bias about AMD.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are more games that support DX11 today and there will be more later. DX11 games are fairly new and you can't play those games with it enabled on olders cards. Lots of peeps like me that visit this site welcomes new technology when they become available but not necessarily going to buy them.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I don't like it when it is imposed on others.

really , like which games use DX 11 that have come out within the last 6 months for the PC ? did you know that skyrim COULD use DX 11 , but decided not to.

sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion , and no one likes when it's imposed on others , and that's why i'm speaking up with my own opinion telling everyone NOT to buy the 7000 series cards , AMD and Nivdia have hunrdreds of thousands of dollars they spend on marketing telling everone how wonderfull these new cards are and how everyone needs to buy them ... well i'm spending ZIP and telling people how they DON'T need to buy them ...

to card companies , i would say buy these cards for WHAT ? what games will play better on this new generation of card than the last generation of card ?

as of yet no one's really been dropping any PC game names to really sock it too me ... i'm waiting ... come on guys , hit me with all of the wonderfull PC games that are going to require a 7970 to make jaws drop ..
a c 355 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 4:34:36 PM

If you have a 7 year old PC and the it provides all the performance you need then good for you.

No one is forcing you to upgrade against your wishes.
March 6, 2012 4:41:18 PM

marquis said:

the next xbox, the 760 ? or as some call it the nextbox , will NOT even have a GPU to rival the 6850 ....

Somehow I highly doubt that.

Just because your buddy said it, or you read an unsubstantiated rumour - doesn't make it true
March 6, 2012 4:52:01 PM

jaguarskx said:
If you have a 7 year old PC and the it provides all the performance you need then good for you.

No one is forcing you to upgrade against your wishes.

obviously i don't have a 7 year old computer , i'm doing an intel sandy bridge build right now as we speak ...but as far as the GPU goes , i'm just gonna go to this box in my closet and pull out the other 6870 that's been sitting there for at least a year ....

you see when i did my last build , i thought " wow one 6870 isn't going to be enough !!!" and then a month or two after i completed my last computer i ordered a SECOND 6870 , for the purpose of crossfiring them ... but you know what , between now and then , i've never seen a PC video game that's so intenseive that it's made me want to walk over to my closet and pull out the other GPU and install it .. that's how far behind GPU intensive games are ...

there are days on here when i can't help but wonder if AMD and Nivdia are paying posters to opine about how wonderfull their cards are .... wonderfull for what ?

what i'm saying jaguarskx is that there's no REASON to upgrade ... do you know what hoarders are ? have you ever seen that show ... it's these people who hoard things for no real reason ....is it possible that high end gamers have become similar to this ... hoarding high end GPU's with nothing to play them on , in effect making them useless ?
March 6, 2012 4:57:50 PM

I think you're missing a point here, marquis.

The reason for more horsepower under the hood for PC gaming is to enabling everything out on much significant resolution that any consoles could ever dream of. Sure, the games are the same, but the sheer difference in graphical output and performance not to mention stability, PC has a lot more to offer. Remember when Crysis 2 Ultra patch? The consoles tend to get hiccups here and there. A PC with top of the line performance hardware, say an i5 2500K + 2xHD6870 or 2xGT560 Ti, suffers none ...and maybe I exaggerate those specs but I know you'll get my point.

I understand your concern though. Most of today's developers not really want to spend much more effort to make such power that's been common among PC gamers now days, worth every bit of it. I won't blame consoles in particular, but look at it this way. Maybe the developers only uses those muscles as need it to be, but not overly abuse it, since such was not quite necessary. Plus, they need the product they sold to people (the games) to be playable and be bought by most folks with a powerful enough PC to run them. Which I must say, are not as many that you might thought it would. Sure, components price are dropping, but another reason for this is to make middle and low class people to buy them too. Hardware companies often choose a slight profit but a high demand rates. That way, they can profit much better and build some kind of bond with their customers. Same goes with software, including game developers.Still, even by this, not many of people in the world can afford a PC, let alone a gaming rig. That leaves them to consoles. On their hands ( developers ), their options too are somewhat limited.

And some people who lucky enough to afford a gaming PC, tends to grasp a much more performance, as higher as they could afford for it. As more power = smoother gameplay and better visuals they need demands more powerful hardware, this is where hardware vendor answers.

If you really look into it, it's a good thing, really.

And don't worry about the GPU vendors. Because I think Nvidia and AMD knows exactly what they're doing rather than any of us posting here in this forum. I think they just trying to set the performance bar even higher with their products, but hey! that's a good thing they did. It will force developer to utilize them when they came for PC.

It's no big deal,bro!

Just my two cents.

Cheers!
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:06:09 PM

marquis said:
obviously i don't have a 7 year old computer , i'm doing an intel sandy bridge build right now as we speak ...but as far as the GPU goes , i'm just gonna go to this box in my closet and pull out the other 6870 that's been sitting there for at least a year ....

you see when i did my last build , i thought " wow one 6870 isn't going to be enough !!!" and then a month or two after i completed my last computer i ordered a SECOND 6870 , for the purpose of crossfiring them ... but you know what , between now and then , i've never seen a PC video game that's so intenseive that it's made me want to walk over to my closet and pull out the other GPU and install it .. that's how far behind GPU intensive games are ...

there are days on here when i can't help but wonder if AMD and Nivdia are paying posters to opine about how wonderfull their cards are .... wonderfull for what ?

what i'm saying jaguarskx is that there's no REASON to upgrade ... do you know what hoarders are ? have you ever seen that show ... it's these people who hoard things for no real reason ....is it possible that high end gamers have become similar to this ... hoarding high end GPU's with nothing to play them on , in effect making them useless ?

Have you tried playing bf3 at 6048x1080 in ultra? A single 6990 struggles to maintain playable frame rates. There are plenty of reasons to spend big money on high end gpu's. There is no way your 6870 can play bf3 in ultra at 1920x1080 and maintain at least 60fps. That should be reason enough for you to upgrade.

a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:11:45 PM

Almost forgot to give my 2cents on consoles. They suck. Levels are smaller, graphics are terrible. I will gladly pay money to have realistic smoke, water, flies buzzing around dead bodies, garbage flying in the wind, the ability to interact with everything in the game including shooting that flower pot you are walking by just because you want to see clay and dirt fly. That is the reason I spend my money.
March 6, 2012 5:32:49 PM

alrobichaud said:
Have you tried playing bf3 at 6048x1080 in ultra? A single 6990 struggles to maintain playable frame rates. There are plenty of reasons to spend big money on high end gpu's. There is no way your 6870 can play bf3 in ultra at 1920x1080 and maintain at least 60fps. That should be reason enough for you to upgrade.

well BF3 is about the ONLY PC game that takes advantage of the high end cards right now ... but have you seen BF3 on HIGH ? i can honestly say that i've seen it on ultra and i've seen it on high and i don't really notice that much of a difference ...

and no , ONE pc game that takes advantage of a high end GPU is not worth me personally spending that kind of money , not unless the difference in graphics would be something that would make me go OH WOW ... if that was the case i would then galdy spend 500 and up on a GPU ...
March 6, 2012 5:36:08 PM

I have a GTX285 and i can play all the games out there.
Of course I can’t play them in ultra resolutions, 3 monitors and so on.

Marquis: I get your point but many people like to play games at ULTRA MAX HELL "NO YOU DIDNT" Resolutions, for those people, we have the new GPUs.
They are not the majority but they exist.

I’m assuming 99% of the people who have a TomsHardware User want to have a new GPU, other people don’t need them, but then again, other people don’t need to play BF3 at Max.

When someone asks me about a GPU I never recommend the latest, because they don’t need it.

You would have more people on your side if you posted this in Facebook, or a PS3 forum, but here...you are going down! haha

PS: I’m getting a Kepler, i just cant stand the FPS in Witcher 2 (didnt play the game, didnt like it, just installed it and realized the FPS were to low). This is worst than your example, I’m not only changing my GPU because I can’t play a game at Max Res, I’m changing it because I cant run a game that I have no intentions to play! I have a problem...don’t worry, if you have a Toms User...you have it to! Just kidding…I need Kepler…
March 6, 2012 5:37:31 PM

Well if you are going to be playing that one game a lot and you have the money then why shouldnt you spend the money, its your choice, If you dont want to buy a new card then dont. I myself have a 5570 form years ago but it still does me fine, but am i going to tell people to sell there 7970's and their gtx 590's and buy a 5770 no of course i am not, truth it, if i had the money i would very happily pick up a 7970
March 6, 2012 5:39:38 PM

seumas_beathan said:
Well if you are going to be playing that one game a lot and you have the money then why shouldnt you spend the money, its your choice, If you dont want to buy a new card then dont. I myself have a 5570 form years ago but it still does me fine, but am i going to tell people to sell there 7970's and their gtx 590's and buy a 5770 no of course i am not, truth it, if i had the money i would very happily pick up a 7970

ok question to you , why would you buy a 7970 ? what would you use it for ?

why not instead save some money and get say maybe a 6950 or something along those lines in the 6000 series ... are you expecting hot new PC games coming down the line ?
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:40:35 PM

alrobichaud said:

100% agreee with you on this. I have a 5870 1gb card that is just barely enough for high settings with 2xAA at 1920x1080 in BF3. I probally sit at 35-40fps at those settings and the 5870 is pretty much the equivalent of the 6950 1gb. Both of which are stronger GPUs then this guys 6870. My HD5870 is starting to show it's weaknesses now, and I will be probally making my next upgrade once a card comes out that is double the 5870's performance or more for $300-350. Most likely a 8850/8870 next year hopefully.

I get the point that the original poster is making, but everyone is free to make their own decisions. If someone feels the need to upgrade for there purposes and has the money to do so, that's their decesion to make. Everyone is different and has different preferances.

Games like BF3 at ultra with 4x AA and Crysis 2 with DX11 and the high res pack require more than last gens midrange to play at maxed out settings going from 1920x1080 and up. Anyone running muti-monitors, or 3D need more power to have acceptable FPS at somewhat decent settings as well.

March 6, 2012 5:45:05 PM

marquis said:
ok question to you , why would you buy a 7970 ? what would you use it for ?

why not instead save some money and get say maybe a 6950 or something along those lines in the 6000 series ... are you expecting hot new PC games coming down the line ?

Because if i had the money why shouldnt i buy the best?

And yes i am expecting some hot new games as you put it, Metro:Last light to name one
March 6, 2012 5:50:49 PM

seumas_beathan said:
Because if i had the money why shouldnt i buy the best?

And yes i am expecting some hot new games as you put it, Metro:Last light to name one

ah metro last light , i just did a google search on that .... i see their also making it for the Wii U , the 360 and the PS3 ... hmm i wonder what the odds are that it will end up like crysis 2 ?

a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:53:07 PM

Well You know, this has turned into a Big Fan Boy thread but......Ask your selves this ?, where do you think all these companys would be if we didnt spend money?. Without us spending money, the countries don't make money. Even tho yes its silly to look at it this way. but still Its like the stock market, when new stocks come to play, everyone is out to buy a percent. When we invest in stock (Our computer) we are investing not only to benefit our selves but the company that made the Stock (Product) so they may keep making more of them, just like the less people buy of a product because it's s&%^&. then that company will no long produce that stock. So if this is all about buying one over the other. Shut Up. There will always be those 2 companys competing with eachother fighting for who is better than the other. One company beat's the other vise versa, if you don't understand this....Well i can't say that in the forums but if you watch Lavco Price Tech Updates...You'd know.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 5:54:18 PM

marquis said:
I know the header is provocative , but i just wanted to remind all of you my fellow gamers , that this generation of cards will be even less usefull than the last ( 6000 series ) ....

Today mass effect 3 drops ...but the one thing it won't be dropping are your frame rates , because it was desgined for gaming systems that are now almost 7 years old ...

Skryim which is another major player in the PC market was also desgined for systems over 7 years old ...

i get on IGN and gamespot just about every other day , checking , hoping for some really hot upcoming releases , but as far as i can tell there's really nothing in the piple line other than MMOG's ...

So before all of you run out and drop 300 dollars for brand new GPU's make sure to ask yourself if it's worth it for the maybe ONE pc capable game that will drop once a year ..

Say what you will, but I am going to go out on a limb and call you foolish for posting this. The 7000 series (after the first few months of hype) will be just as good performance/$ as the 6000 series is, except that it will do so with less power usage while supporting more future tech that will be in games 2-3 years from now. Besides, when before you may have needed a $500 6970 high end card, you can now get away with a $300 7870, of if you needed a 6870 before, you can now do well with a 7770. In short you can buy a cheaper new card that will perform roughly as well as the previous gen high end card.

Yes, the games listed are console ports, but you fail to realize that your PC generally runs at 1080p while consoles are 720p. Computers run at 60fps, while consoles do 30fps (if that lol). Computers run AA, and other filtering scemes to get a better image quality, while consoles do not. Lastly console ports are made to work on console specific hardware, and are thus not optomised for the PC. Simply put you need a lot more PC hardware in order to run crappy console ports effectively than what comes in a console.

I do agree with you on one point. If you already have a high end card, you do not need a 'new' high end card to play well, and can likely wait another few years before even thinking about needing to upgrade. But for new builds there is no reason to purchase a 6000 series card over an equally priced 7000 series card. That is just silly talk!
March 6, 2012 5:55:00 PM

marquis said:

sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion , and no one likes when it's imposed on others , and that's why i'm speaking up with my own opinion telling everyone NOT to buy the 7000 series cards

So let me get this straight. You know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion AND you recognize that people do not like when others aggressively push their own, contradicting beliefs on them. YET, you are here doing exactly that and trying to win people over with your arguments?

/mindblown

Listen, I agree with you that it is often difficult to define who is right and wrong when you are dealing with personal opinions. Hell, some would say it is impossible! (Go spend some time on reddit/com/r/atheism) But to come here, and be that much of a hypocrite is downright foolhardy.

My point of view on this: some of us like pretty things more than others and we are willing to spend our OWN MONEY to get those pretty things. Disagree all you want. But if you start to call us foolish, blind or even stupid for doing so, we are going to throw it right back in your pixilated, choppy face.
March 6, 2012 5:57:24 PM

Metro 2033 was made for the 360, ps3 etc, Demanding game? Hell yeah, Witcher 2 was also made for them is it demanding? Once again yes. Demanding enough to require a 7970? No but more enjoyable to look at and play with a 7970? Yes
March 6, 2012 6:05:25 PM

seumas_beathan said:
Metro 2033 was made for the 360, ps3 etc, Demanding game? Hell yeah, Witcher 2 was also made for them is it demanding? Once again yes. Demanding enough to require a 7970? No but more enjoyable to look at and play with a 7970? Yes

i think we can both agree all games are better on new GPU's .... but my point is that there's little for US PC gamers ..
March 6, 2012 6:07:12 PM

marquis said:
i think we can both agree all games are better on new GPU's .... but my point is that there's little for US PC gamers ..

What exactly do you mean by that?
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:10:18 PM

Without going into either camp of the Nvidia vs ATI, going for the newer GPUs in my oppinion brings 3 benefits:
- Less heat
- Less noise
- Lower power use

At least in my oppinion well worth it in general, worth it upgrading from previous generation, probably not.
Upgrading from more than 1 generation away, most likely.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:19:11 PM

marquis said:
obviously i don't have a 7 year old computer , i'm doing an intel sandy bridge build right now as we speak

LOL, you got taken to the cleaners! You didn't need a sandy bridge processor to play your games! You could have done perfectly well with an older i5 or i3. What a moron!
/sarcasm
The point is that depending on the games you play, and the resolutions you play, and the quality of monitor you have (which makes some of that filtering really stand out), and the size of screen, and the number of screens will make some of the new cards better for you than the 6000 series. But if you can get a lower end card for less money that has similar performance, and can use a cheaper PSU then you end up saving money rather than wasting it. So the 7000 series is not for you, so what. I have a GTX570 and it plays everything just fine (way overkill for my gaming needs in fact, but I got it for CUDA support in Premiere CS5.5 which I did NEED it for), but is that going to stop me from getting a 2nd 570 in a year or 2 just for giggles? Absolutely not! I just started playing Dragon Age 2 with the high res pack and it dips below 60fps every once in a while. Is it super noticeable? not really. Does it effect my gaming? not really. All the same I will want to play DA3 at full res with full AA, and I just may need a little boost at that point.

Besides, some are more sensitive about image control than others. I went to school for video work, and the dumbest things annoy me and take me out of the game, so I like to have things as 'perfect' as possible. Others (like yourself) are simply not as picky. It's not bad, you will save a little money that way, but just because you don't notice the difference does not mean that nobody can. And when I upgrade I will not likely buy a 600 series nVidia, because it would be cheaper to SLi in my case (and I'm not sure how well Adobe will support it without having to upgrade my software suite), but if someone is building a new system I would tell them to buy the most modern card available for their price point every time because it will simply age better for the same amount of $ spent.
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:21:12 PM

What a ridiculous thread.

How about people decide to buy based on their budget and expectations? You know, like an informed consumer? The 7000 series is hugely useful to everyone. It's bringing in higher performance at lower power and cost. Win win win.

Any reasonable person would think "ok, I have a 1080p monitor and want max graphics, what do I need?" then buy what they need. Maybe it's a single 7970 or crossfire 7850.

Someone else might think "I have a 1680x1050 monitor and don't need max graphics" and they'll go buy a 7750 and be very happy with it.

And yet a third person might be running triple 1080p monitors in 3D, and he's going to need tri-fire 7970s.

All of that said, the only valid point the OP makes is that games are catering to the lowest common denominator - consoles. Mostly because consoles get a lot more sales. Even though PCs have about a 10 to 1 install base, consoles have 5 to 1 better sales and 10 to 1 lower pirating. What I'm saying is, PC gamers are shooting themselves in the foot.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 6:33:33 PM

wolfram23 said:
What a ridiculous thread.

All of that said, the only valid point the OP makes is that games are catering to the lowest common denominator - consoles. Mostly because consoles get a lot more sales. Even though PCs have about a 10 to 1 install base, consoles have 5 to 1 better sales and 10 to 1 lower pirating.

+1

There is a good article in the march issue of Maximum PC that talks about this.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 7:00:07 PM

Marquis im just curious as to why you give a crap how or why other people spend their money. You are regurgitating the same BS that has been spewed for what? Almost 15-20 years about how PC gaming is dying? I may be in the minority but I really dont give a crap if you think buying hardware is a waste of money. Who are you to me? Exactly. Ill keep buying my overpowered GPUs and enjoying my games how I want to play them and not worry about someone who most likely cant afford it. Have a good day sir and keep your opinions to yourself. You dont want debate, you want flames.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 8:37:07 PM

marquis said:
ah metro last light , i just did a google search on that .... i see their also making it for the Wii U , the 360 and the PS3 ... hmm i wonder what the odds are that it will end up like crysis 2 ?

It wont. It will end up like metro 2033 as 4a is a good developer with pc as lead platform.
a c 355 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 8:37:28 PM

marquis said:

Most people do not upgrade their cards every year. I am satisfied with the performance of my single Radeon HD 5850 on my 1920x1200 resolution monitor. I don't plan on upgrading it until Intel releases their Haswell CPU (probably mid 2013) by then the Radeon 8000 series should already be in the market.
March 7, 2012 12:07:59 AM

marquis said:

The majority of people buy Skyrim on PC for the MODS! A modded Skyrim (ENB Injectors, high res texture packs >2048x2048 ,Nvidia tweaks, .ini tweaks ex. Ugrids 11) will absolutely DESTROY almost every single gpu card even @ 1080p. If that's not your cup of tea, you get the console one, but saying that Skyrim for PC is designed for a 7yr old system tells me you have no clue about how extreme you can mod Skyrim to make it look practically like a CG movie.

Heck, Nvidia creates game guides that will boost these console ports graphics to something no console can even match graphics wise. Amd also lets you tweak out the settings.

Also BF3 64 player maps will give most cards a run for their money.
March 7, 2012 12:31:52 AM

For one game id honestly say yes its worth the upgrade. because A LOT of people specifically play just that couple of games. i know of a lot of people who ONLY play cod4 promod or bf3 or skyrim etc etc. and to some people that is a reason to upgrade and no one upgrades every year.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 1:06:43 AM

You also have to consider those who are not happy with 30 FPS. I personally get severe motion sickness if I play with 30 FPS, I must have a min of 40 FPS and average over 50 FPS to not suffer badly and to remove motion sickness, I need up to 90 FPS (and I have a 120hz monitor). I also have enjoyed 3D in many games as well, which takes a lot more power.

While I have 470's in SLI, I still have to turn down graphic settings in most games I play.
Skyrim in 3D means I have to turn down a couple settings and go without AA.
DA: origins, I play without 3D and turn down settings to maintain 70 FPS or better.
Metro 2033, I play at high.
Crysis 2, I play in 3D in Dx9, as DX11 is requires too much power.
Crysis, I don't max either.
The Witcher 2, I lower settings to play in 3D.

There are still plenty of reason to maintain a good rig.
March 7, 2012 1:28:29 AM

I cant wait to spend $2000 to buy dual kepler(or if Kepler fails) then 7970 in trifire it is.
March 7, 2012 1:01:43 PM

I have to completly agree with the OP here.
Games are worst and worst, graphic wise. The last good game that really pushed graphics for its time was Crysis, especially with MODs applied. For me it is still the best looking game ever, even if it has 4 years ond. It´s very sad wanting (and having the possibilty) to upgrade but having no games worth the upgrade. I have 2x gtx570 in SLI and play in 3D Vision Mode with a 720p Projector and its a bit overkill. I´ve been been playing Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Batman Arkham City and enjoy them but in terms of graphics games seem to have stopped in time.

Cheers,
André
!