alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys, currently my pc has:

Asus p8h61-mx Mobo

i3 2120 @ 3.3 stock - Overclocking has eluded me up until now and i've no desire to start any time in the foreseeable future

8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 RAM

1x 7200RPM 500gb HDD

1x DVD-RW

3 USB peripherals incl kb/m and wireless adapter

And finally the weakest two components:

A horrible stock Zoostorm PSU @ 300w - 12a on 12v rail. This thing is horrible. The fan is at 100% constantly. My previous Zoostorm pc did the same.

Palit 430gt 2GB DDR3.

I want to upgrade to a 1ghz edition 7770 Sapphire card. I've been told to avoid the Asus model, Can anyone recommend me a nice PSU to cope with this ? I've been looking at the Antec Earthwatts 380.

Also, i've shied away from the 430 CXV2 on account of most people saying its horrible for noise and coil whine.

I'm also UK based so, unfortunately, newegg isn't relevant for me.

Thanks!

The Antec Earthwatts EA-380D Green is a pretty good choice, but for a few pounds more I think this is a bit better:
XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition P1-450S-XXB9 (£35 @ Dabs)
http://skinflint.co.uk/622037

Mostly because it has a larger, quieter fan.

The +12V rail distribution for the Antec Earthwatts EA-380D Green is as follows:
+12V1:
20+4pin, 6pin PCIe, all SATA connectors, all 4pin peripheral connectors,

+12V2:
4+4pin

alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Yeah, thats why I've no desire to buy CPUs with overclocking abilities :D

Also slightly noob question, but the EA380 has dual rails, correct? Will my 7770 draw power from both rails when needed or just the one? I'm lost when it comes to dual rails...

InvalidError

Titan
The EarthWatt 380 should be ok as a good quality low-wattage unit as long as you do not plan to do overhaul the whole system. Otherwise, you might want to consider something in the 430-450W range for extra future headroom.

alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

I always assumed XFX was a brand to keep away from, what with people raving about Antec/Corsair (not so much builder series) and sometimes OCZ

Thanks for your input!

Actually future parts will use less power, not more. For instance his sandy bridge i3 is 65w, today's Ivy Bridge quad is only 77w. A brand new HD7850 uses 40w less than the older HD5850.

So the 380w will be fine for future upgrade unless your going for some top of the line video card and your overclocking.

I just upgrade from 5850 to 7850 and planning to upgrade to a Ivy quad soon, using my EA380. I'll actually be using 27w less than I was.

InvalidError

Titan

Doesn't need to be top-of-the-line, just moving up from plain h61 to z77 with extras can be a few watts, going from i3 to i5k with overclock would be a few more watts, same going from 7770 to 7870+OC, etc.

Since the OP's specs are so modest, there is potential to increase power requirements by 50-100W without going too far budget-wise.

you should never generalize computer parts by brand. no company(except maybe seasonic and maybe enermax to some extent) has always made straight up good units(for psu case). the XFX Core series in question is a seasonic rebranded psu. so its really seasonic who designed the psu, and XFX mass manufactured it.

alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up! - I think i'll get that one then, it leaves room for improvement as Silvune said (thanks for the link too, btw)

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I have a ASUS HD 7750 OC really great card runs cool and quite the fan is only audible at 30% but on auto it never reaches that high. My PSU is only 250W but it has 15A on the 12V rail.

One thing to note is that a 7770 draws around 80W at load but the OC versions like the sapphire can use just over 100W.

As for a PSU recommendation i've also heard some bad things about the corsair cx 430 like how it's not even made my corsair because it's so low end. I've heard A LOT of good things about seasonic PSU's though it's probably worth checking them out.

alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Even with the 100w draw, i'm assuming either of the mentioned PSUs could cope? (I've decided against the XFX too, as JonnyGURU doesn't look so keen on it)

Easily

It's pretty much in the same class as the EA and the CX, and it's Seasonic on the inside, makes it a better option in the eyes of most
The fact that it has 6 more amps of power and dual pcie connector's does make it the better option if you think you might upgrade to a more powerful card

Dual rails on the 380; Silvune provided the layout, the OCP setpoint is 25 amps allowing for all of the 12v power to be utilized, you would have nothing to worry about

alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
In all honesty I probably won't be upgrading the card for a good couple years. I'm fine with med/high settings, and my res is only 1600x900 anyway, so nothing too fancy

Sorry OCP setpoint? I'm new to PSUs and hardware in general, essentially what i'm worried about is somehow loading all my components onto one of the two rails. Is that even possible? I'm guessing not. Basically it's foolproof, right?

Thanks!

Over Current Protection
It's what's used to create seperate rails

alzura

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Just an update guys, replaced the PSU with the EA380 - So much difference, the computer is whisper quiet. I'm genuinely checking the fans every so often to see if it's actually working.

I never knew how quiet a desktop could be after two Zoostorm PCs. I'd recommended EVERYONE change their Zoostorm OEM PSU after this.