Sign in with
Your question

Do i need to crossfire hd 6990 on this conditions?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2012 7:10:49 AM

- i don't run multiple monitors nor i do plan to and i don't like 3d either
- i love to run all games on ultra settings
- i get low fps on some games and i really hate low fps i can feel it when it go below 45fps some time it drop to 25fps in some populated zones in world of warcraft tho running the game on ultra setting
- some games tend to crash like assassins creed brotherhood when i keep it at ultra settings dunno why

will crossfire solve this problems???? and will the heat from one card negatively harm the other? my case is thermal take full tower gt level 10

my pc is

intel i7 3820 3.6ghz no overclock applied
16gb ddr3 corsair 1600mhz
asus rampage iv battlefield edition motherboard
gpu hd 6990
cougar 1000w psu

answers appreciated
March 6, 2012 7:20:48 AM

you dont need to crossfire if you're not running more than one monitor. and crossfire will not fix that crashing problem.
a c 75 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 7:50:17 AM

try updating/reinstalling driver. you could use driversweeper to uninstall drivers.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 11:13:54 AM

Jesus, something is wrong with your setup as a 6990 is around 30% faster than my 5970 and I can run everything you care to mention maxxed still at 1680x1050. I would agree that try updating your drivers as previously posted. You have a powerful system that complements your 6990 so no bottlenecks. Are you running Win7 64bit?
March 6, 2012 12:18:51 PM

yes i'm currently running win 7x64 and updated catalyst to 12.1 which it says to be last version avaliable dunno what other drivers should i update :( 
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 12:58:35 PM

I'd also try downloading your motherboard drivers again in particular the chipset drivers. (very important) Also have you got your hard drives set to SATA in the BIOS as i've seen instances where poeple have SATA drives set to IDE mode and in Device Manager the PIO has been set to 2 instead of 5 under IDE mode?
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 1:05:00 PM

A single 6990 will max any game on the market at 1920x1080. Crossfire will not fix your problem. BF3 is the most gpu demanding game I can think of and you should be getting over 80FPS in ultra at 1920x1080 in the worst case. A game like wow you should easily break 100FPS. I might bring my game out of retirement when I get home to see what I get with a single 6990. It sounds like you have a serious problem with your machine or you are bored and trolling around the forums.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 1:21:48 PM

Having tried my suggestions above you might want to contact ATi or the manufacturer of your card and ask their advise. It might be that ATi are still slow at releasing optimised drivers....
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 1:26:28 PM

Part of your problem is that WoW does not officially support crossfire (or at least it didn't back in WotLK and before). Your current system is in crossfire. You may not be getting any scaling so it may be more like you have a single 6950 now. That is the wrong card for WoW. Although not supported, some cards have crossfired well while others don't at all. Installing the CAP profiles could help if it is one that is unofficially supported.

Another issue is that in really crowded areas, WoW will slow down with any system. Overclocking the CPU can help in the crowded cities.
March 6, 2012 3:29:22 PM

i would like to thank you all for you replies

i tried just now to overclock to 4.6 and i took me some time to get it stable had to disable hyper threading tho but unfortunately the fps didn't change much

then i tried to update chip-set and sata drivers as suggested but it didn't seem to be the problem either

then i downloaded amd driver detector and it detected that my gpu is updated to latest version

my problem isn't a big one i mean i still have many games running perfectly without any whining but the thing is some games which i got the last year or 2 and wanted to finally play on my new pc "didn't work the way i expected"

here is a list of my pc games
witcher2 assassin of kings - works perfect
saints row the third - works perfect
need for speed hot pursuit - works perfect
modern warfare3 - works perfect
battle field 3 - works perfect "slight tearing tho on soldiers/weapons selection screen before deployment in multilayer" but the actual game play is superb
star craft II - works perfect
dungeon siege III- works perfect

on the other hand here is list of games that kept whining

fable3 - works perfectly but when i turn left or right while running or walking i feel a split second fps lag/drop it's slight but it's happening a lot and frame rate stays at 30fps never goes more than that

gta iv - i really don't want to speak about it anymore this is the worst game ever

assassins creed brotherhood - crashed my gpu i don't know how but all of the sudden when i was about to start some quest the screen turned green i didn't wait to see more and clicked the rest button on my case then uninstalled it

and some crappy game called venetica which gave me like 5 fps whenever a cut scene occurs and it stays after to the game play itself "to fix it i had to keep alt tab out and in to the game"

finally world of Warcraft on wotlk i have no problem on raid zone or pvp but the problem is in centeral area "dalaran" with many afk people there sure will be fps drop but i thought my gpu can finally handle it "this is currently on a private server ofc"

and on retail "cataclysm" my character level is still low to test raid or pvp zones like alterac valley
but whenever i buy fly from zone to another i feel fps drop while i'm about to enter a new zone and also when the fly mount decents from a huge mountain an such elevations

this is all the problems i found so far
if i didn't find a fix for it i will just get myself accustomed but really i never intended to troll or anything my problem is a real one :D 
thanks again for all the answers and your advices
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 3:47:27 PM

I guess the troll comment was kinda rude. Anyway, I just happened to get 7 days free from blizzard on Sunday so I will give it a try with one of my 6990's and let you know if I have the same problem. There are usually 50 or more people hanging out in front of the auction house in stormwind so that should be a good place to test it.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 8:17:06 PM

Like I said before. WoW does not support Crossfire officially, and in many cases it doesn't work hardly at all. A 6990 is a card that is always in crossfire (it has two GPU's on one card). If it's not supported in crossfire, it's like using a single GPU and WoW is far more demanding than people give it credit.
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 8:24:23 PM

Yes, what bystander said. 6990 is in crossfire already. You may need to disable crossfire for some games.

Also make sure you do clean driver installs. This means uninstalling the old ones first.

Make sure you download and install the latest CAP.

Monitor your GPU with a program like MSI Afterburner and if the FPS is getting crappy, check it out and see what's happening. Low usage? High usage? Only 1 GPU usage?

You can make custom CF profiles for games in CCC, so for example if WoW doesn't support CF, you can try to force it in different modes.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 10:45:48 PM

bystander said:
Like I said before. WoW does not support Crossfire officially, and in many cases it doesn't work hardly at all. A 6990 is a card that is always in crossfire (it has two GPU's on one card). If it's not supported in crossfire, it's like using a single GPU and WoW is far more demanding than people give it credit.

Umm. I do realize a 6990 is two 6970's in crossfire. Up until last week I was using a 6990+6970+6970 but I got rid of the 6970's due to overheating since the cards were all touching. I just figured a game like WOW with millions of players would have the capability to use at least use two gpu's. And the jury is in.....crossfire sucks! only uses 30% of each gpu in one 6990. FPS is a pitiful 80 at best and drops to as low as 50 when I move around in front of the auction house. Tried to do a screen shot but for some reason I kept getting the desktop even though the game said 'screen captured' each time. Anyway, glad I stopped playing when I did.

I am also using the preview 12.2 driver with CAP 3.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 11:25:31 PM

alrobichaud said:
Umm. I do realize a 6990 is two 6970's in crossfire. Up until last week I was using a 6990+6970+6970 but I got rid of the 6970's due to overheating since the cards were all touching. I just figured a game like WOW with millions of players would have the capability to use at least use two gpu's. And the jury is in.....crossfire sucks! only uses 30% of each gpu in one 6990. FPS is a pitiful 80 at best and drops to as low as 50 when I move around in front of the auction house. Tried to do a screen shot but for some reason I kept getting the desktop even though the game said 'screen captured' each time. Anyway, glad I stopped playing when I did.

I am also using the preview 12.2 driver with CAP 3.

Well, WoW is an exception, most games will be good. As many of players as they have, it's surprising just how bad their SLI and crossfire is. SLI is just as bad. Oddly, 5870's in crossfire does scale well, most everything else doesn't. I'm not sure why the 5870 is an exception.

EDIT: btw, I was directing my previous post to the OP.
March 7, 2012 6:32:41 AM

thanks for the test alrobichaud
i tried yesterday to overclock my hd 6990 using after burner and then with catalyst overdrive
there was no difference beside i didn't really know what i'm doing i have set gpu clock to 900mhz and ram clock to 1400 i didn't want to go for more as i didn't feel any difference in gameplay anyway

tho i didn't want to reduce any graphic details/effects i had to reduce the "shadow detail" from ultra to high which wasn't noticeable by any chance the shadow effects is still the way it looks on ultra
and it gave me like 15-20 fps in busy areas so from 25-40 it's now like 45-60 which is good for a really crowded areas anyway i'm done with wow and it's fine the way it is now

finally i would like to thank you all for your helpful answers as it cleared that most of the problems was game side

!