  • Video
  • Media Player
Last response: in Brands
May 13, 2004 11:40:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

What format video files does the Nokia 6230 support? I am trying to encode
some video and play it back on the phone.

Nothing I have tried works so far. None of the codecs in VirtualDub will
play. Windows Media Encoder (I thought these were MPEG4?) will not play.

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable codec for a PC program (like
Virtual Dub) to encode so the damn Nokia will play it.

Thanks,

-Steve

More about : nokia 6230 media player

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:40:54 PM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:40:53 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:

>What format video files does the Nokia 6230 support? I am trying to encode
>some video and play it back on the phone.
>
>Nothing I have tried works so far. None of the codecs in VirtualDub will
>play. Windows Media Encoder (I thought these were MPEG4?) will not play.
>
>Does anyone know where I can get a suitable codec for a PC program (like
>Virtual Dub) to encode so the damn Nokia will play it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Steve

Get Nokia Media Converter from the Nokia site , its .3gp format
--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking
http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS
http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:40:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

ß Ø ® G <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:40:53 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>What format video files does the Nokia 6230 support? I am trying to
>>encode some video and play it back on the phone.
>>
>>Nothing I have tried works so far. None of the codecs in VirtualDub
>>will play. Windows Media Encoder (I thought these were MPEG4?) will
>>not play.
>>
>>Does anyone know where I can get a suitable codec for a PC program
>>(like Virtual Dub) to encode so the damn Nokia will play it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>-Steve
>>
> Get Nokia Media Converter from the Nokia site , its .3gp format

Although, sadly, all conversions with the Media Converter will convert
the soundtrack too high (will distort on the phone at the lowest volume).

I've e-mailed Nokia about this a couple of weeks ago... hopefully this
will be fixed.

And there's no FF or REW in the Media Player on the phone... yet...

sA

May 15, 2004 1:19:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> Although, sadly, all conversions with the Media Converter will convert
> the soundtrack too high (will distort on the phone at the lowest volume).
>
> I've e-mailed Nokia about this a couple of weeks ago... hopefully this
> will be fixed.

Will you inform us if they answer? I have the same problem og would like a
solution.

Regards .
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:20:35 AM

nokia 6230 video files uses .3gp format, which uses the H.263
codec.

the easiest way to convert videos is to use the new Quick Time Pro 6.5,
it can export various video formats to 3gpp which can then be viewed in
6230.

however QT 6.5 do no support mpeg-I and mpeg-II muxed files, it will
only convert the video to 3gpp without the audio.

in that case u will need to use virtual dub to convert the mpeg to avi,
full process the audio to wav / mp3, and then put the avi file to QT
and covert to .3gp

--
wonghong
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t121582.html

> Although, sadly, all conversions with the Media Converter will convert
> the soundtrack too high (will distort on the phone at the lowest volume).
>
> I've e-mailed Nokia about this a couple of weeks ago... hopefully this
> will be fixed.

The sound does sound pretty bad. Any updates yet?

> And there's no FF or REW in the Media Player on the phone... yet...

This is very annoying. I am still on the original 3.14 firmware - any later
ones support this functionality?

Also why can't the phone display movies using the full 128x128 screen. It's
not like its the biggest screen in the world. Having to view at 128x96 is
pretty tiny.

-Steve
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:54:42 PM

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in news:40cd2ed0@news.starhub.net.sg:

>> Although, sadly, all conversions with the Media Converter will
>> convert the soundtrack too high (will distort on the phone at the
>> lowest volume).
>>
>> I've e-mailed Nokia about this a couple of weeks ago... hopefully
>> this will be fixed.
>
> The sound does sound pretty bad. Any updates yet?
>
>> And there's no FF or REW in the Media Player on the phone... yet...
>
> This is very annoying. I am still on the original 3.14 firmware - any
> later ones support this functionality?
>
> Also why can't the phone display movies using the full 128x128 screen.
> It's not like its the biggest screen in the world. Having to view at
> 128x96 is pretty tiny.
>
> -Steve

No, they have not responded. No suprises there. Ivory towers..?

I agree about the 128x128 option in Media Player: there is no reason why
there should not be a 'fullscreen' mode in the firmware to support this.
I still really like this phone, but there seems to be an 'unfinished'
quality about some of its features; maybe that's down to the early
iterations of the firmware..?

Hopefully, some of the Nokia techs have looked at the 6230 fora on the
internet, regarding the current perceived shortcomings/bugs of the early
iterations of the firmware and have set about attending to them for
future versions. Hope so.

--
sA