Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Time Building a PC - Need Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 9, 2012 2:17:04 PM

So I have designed this, it is intended to be a gaming PC.

Processor: Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz (£176)
Graphics Card: Probably HD Radeon 7970 (£360)
Power Suply: Corsair 650W TX V2 (£67)
RAM: Corsair 8 GB 1600MHz Dominator - CL9 1.65V (£62)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-277-D3H Intel Z77 DDR3 SATA 3 (£82)
Hard Drive: 1 TB Seagate STI000DM003 Barracuda 7200 RPM 6 GB/s 64MB Cache (£68)
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (£50)
Blue Ray Optical Drive: Lite On 1HOS104 SATA (£40)
Keyboard + Mouse Logitech Desktop Mk120 set (£13)
Case: cit mars midi tower gaming case (Around £25)


Monitor:
BenQ GL2240M 21.5" LED DVI Monitor- Speakers (£90)

Comes to a total of £1030-50~

What do you guys think? Are there any issues with the specs, things that I have that aren't needed or you'd change? And also, why?

I haven't ordered yet, and will be doing so in the next few days to week

More about : time building

May 9, 2012 2:30:08 PM

If you're not in a rush to buy, see what the GTX 670 stacks up to be. TweakTown suggests that it will be the card to beat when it launches at $400 USD - just slower than a GTX 680 by a few frames in almost all games. It soundly beats the 7970 while being priced $50 lower.

If you're set on a Radeon, then holding out till 670 is released is still a good choice since AMD may respond with a price cut of the 7970.
May 9, 2012 2:44:39 PM

Check the memory standard on that motherboard, majority of the Z77 boards want 1.5 volt memory, so make sure you are getting the appropriate voltage.

I know there is a 1.5v version of the memory you listed here, so you should be good either way.

Nice build!
Related resources
May 9, 2012 6:13:49 PM

eddieroolz said:
If you're not in a rush to buy, see what the GTX 670 stacks up to be. TweakTown suggests that it will be the card to beat when it launches at $400 USD - just slower than a GTX 680 by a few frames in almost all games. It soundly beats the 7970 while being priced $50 lower.

If you're set on a Radeon, then holding out till 670 is released is still a good choice since AMD may respond with a price cut of the 7970.


Interesting..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=555

Compare the 7970 to the GTX 680

They're about even, so if the 670 was released, wouldn't that make is slightly more worse than the 7970?
May 9, 2012 6:21:50 PM

dalmvern said:
Check the memory standard on that motherboard, majority of the Z77 boards want 1.5 volt memory, so make sure you are getting the appropriate voltage.

I know there is a 1.5v version of the memory you listed here, so you should be good either way.

Nice build!


Thank you sir! Very helpful, if you didn't point that out to me, I might have ordered the wrong memory v1.65 - instead of 1.5 - Will be changing it to 1.5 now! :) 

Anything else that I (being a noob) probably missed? xD
May 9, 2012 6:47:35 PM

dalmvern said:
Check the memory standard on that motherboard, majority of the Z77 boards want 1.5 volt memory, so make sure you are getting the appropriate voltage.

I know there is a 1.5v version of the memory you listed here, so you should be good either way.

Nice build!


http://www.ebuyer.com/274413-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-160...

How's that? I've heard that some RAM's get in the way of the cooler/fans.. Would that be the case for my cooler and my RAM?
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2012 6:53:21 PM

Only gets in the way of tower air coolers (like an Evo). Not an issue with liquid cooling.

Edit: Check the interior space of that case. The 7970 is a large card (11.5") and may have problems in smaller cases.

If that case doesn't have cable routing grommets (low end cases normally don't), get a modular PSU to cut down on clutter and airflow problems.

May 9, 2012 7:11:41 PM

jediarron said:
Interesting..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=555

Compare the 7970 to the GTX 680

They're about even, so if the 670 was released, wouldn't that make is slightly more worse than the 7970?


Was working from memory, but I recall that it did threaten the 7970 in certain games TT tested. In those games I assume the 680 has a big lead over the 7970, which allows 670 to beat the 7970 soundly as well.

Either that, or I typo-ed and meant to say 7950.
May 9, 2012 9:10:20 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Only gets in the way of tower air coolers (like an Evo). Not an issue with liquid cooling.

Edit: Check the interior space of that case. The 7970 is a large card (11.5") and may have problems in smaller cases.

If that case doesn't have cable routing grommets (low end cases normally don't), get a modular PSU to cut down on clutter and airflow problems.



'If that case doesn't have cable routing grommets (low end cases normally don't), get a modular PSU to cut down on clutter and airflow problems'

I have to be honest, I don't understand that at all :D 
May 9, 2012 9:15:56 PM

eddieroolz said:
Was working from memory, but I recall that it did threaten the 7970 in certain games TT tested. In those games I assume the 680 has a big lead over the 7970, which allows 670 to beat the 7970 soundly as well.

Either that, or I typo-ed and meant to say 7950.


Hmmm, well actually the 680 beats it in 30 games, or so, compared to the 7970 beating it in 15 o.o

Some of those are just about, though :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2012 9:22:49 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/1468#10

See the cables coming through those rubberized holes in the case? They allow you to declutter your case by "hiding" the ones you don't need.

http://www.****/id/PC-Cable-Management-on-a-BadSmall-Case/
is an over-the-top example of too many cables.

If your case doesn't have cable management, you can spend a little more money on a modular power supply and only plug in the connectors you need. It helps with airflow and dust buildup.
May 9, 2012 9:39:29 PM

I see.

Hmmm, do you think I could ask you to help me find a cheap case, or the cheapest that actually has the cable sorting holes xD

I am buying off ebuyer.com and scan.co.uk

I am a total noob, and God help me when I actually fit the PC together.

Arron
May 9, 2012 10:12:24 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I'm not good with the smaller/cheaper cases but maybe:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-tempest-210-all-bla...

Do some googling and read up :)  Or hopefully someone with more experience in this area will chime in.


Hehe, I hope so, if that's the price they are, I was hoping for something a bit cheaper lol.

I will do googling, is there any special name for these 'more organised' cases? :D 
May 9, 2012 10:52:38 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/1468#10

See the cables coming through those rubberized holes in the case? They allow you to declutter your case by "hiding" the ones you don't need.

http://www.****/id/PC-Cable-Management-on-a-BadSmall-Case/
is an over-the-top example of too many cables.

If your case doesn't have cable management, you can spend a little more money on a modular power supply and only plug in the connectors you need. It helps with airflow and dust buildup.


http://www.ebuyer.com/251582-casecom-k5-7688-all-black-...

Are the declutter holes at the top any good? I am willing to spend a bit on the case, I've read that it has a huge impact on the fan.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2012 2:05:23 AM

About the only thing they say is "cable management" or "cable routing." Couldn't get that link to work. It's best if they're spaced all around since different mobo makers put connectors in various spots.

Couldn't get that link to work.

I know it sounds like a lot of money, but it's really a bad idea to cheap out on a noisy, messy case. I did it with my last build and will not do so again. It sounded like a jet and had terrible airflow.

This time around it's a Carbide 500R and it's certainly worth it:
http://www.ebuyer.com/276072-corsair-carbide-500r-white...
The Corsair C70 in olive drab would be my next pick but it's not out til next month.
May 10, 2012 6:18:00 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
About the only thing they say is "cable management" or "cable routing." Couldn't get that link to work. It's best if they're spaced all around since different mobo makers put connectors in various spots.

Couldn't get that link to work.

I know it sounds like a lot of money, but it's really a bad idea to cheap out on a noisy, messy case. I did it with my last build and will not do so again. It sounded like a jet and had terrible airflow.

This time around it's a Carbide 500R and it's certainly worth it:
http://www.ebuyer.com/276072-corsair-carbide-500r-white...
The Corsair C70 in olive drab would be my next pick but it's not out til next month.


Hmmm I realise the importance of a good case, so if the 670 turns out to be better than the 7970, I can save £110 and use that money to buy a case :D 

Also, if I am getting the H60 liquid cooler, is there any need for me to buy more fans for my system?
!